• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)
Barbarians in the corner after a few pick and goes near the posts. Good defence but just ran out of numbers. Wind is pretty strong, knocking ball off the tee. Cracking kick though and now 21-14

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Uys and the backrow were immense. A lot of dropped ball and communication issues but bucket loads of talent. Defence needs some work though but the big game will be interesting.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Jeez that fowler kid can play. You can tell team cohesion and communication needs to be worked on but buckets of talent on this team as said. Give them more training together and some more defensive intent and Sky is the limit for these boys.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jeez that fowler kid can play. You can tell team cohesion and communication needs to be worked on but buckets of talent on this team as said. Give them more training together and some more defensive intent and Sky is the limit for these boys.
Fowler made some good tackles on the huge number 7 from the barbarians. He was their main go forward man and Fowler (plus others) started to line him up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fun game and I'm sure they feel good having got a win over there to start things.

- Defence needs to be an obvious point of attention but it became clear that was what the game was going to be from very early on.
- Line out needs attention. A couple of the missed throws looked to be a timing thing with the jump on a couple occasions.
- Backline needs to defend together. 12 was aggressive out of the line a few times without a partner. They got the ball away prior to the tackle leaving 13 and Winger stretched.

- Very good forward hit ups and quick play by the 9 to get it going. Great pass off the deck from 9 and selection of when to run himself.
- Simple use of hands was effective when there is speed and size out wide.

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)
I expect a few changes in the line up for the next game. I believe it will be a tougher game against NZ Schools.

Definalty a good game to watch and there appears to be a really good foundation for them to build upon. Plenty of younger lads in the squad as well which will set them up nicely also

Mule

Ted Fahey (11)
The Aust squad is tier 1, the Schoolboys squad is tier 2 in the Under 18 age group
but there's ~12 players who are in the middle and didn't get picked in either (we're mothballed for the top team, didn't make it, and weren't eligible for the other team as they weren't allowed to play in the selection tournament [ASRU]....)

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fun game and I'm sure they feel good having got a win over there to start things.

- Defence needs to be an obvious point of attention but it became clear that was what the game was going to be from very early on.
- Line out needs attention. A couple of the missed throws looked to be a timing thing with the jump on a couple occasions.
- Backline needs to defend together. 12 was aggressive out of the line a few times without a partner. They got the ball away prior to the tackle leaving 13 and Winger stretched.

- Very good forward hit ups and quick play by the 9 to get it going. Great pass off the deck from 9 and selection of when to run himself.
- Simple use of hands was effective when there is speed and size out wide.

Throwing long constantly in windy conditions wasn't smart but the kiwis marked the front of the lineout well to force their hand. Still, throwing to 6 and not 4 was weird.
Also, the positioning for kick receipt was spot on.
Shout out to the commentators who were enthusiastic.

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
but there's ~12 players who are in the middle and didn't get picked in either (we're mothballed for the top team, didn't make it, and weren't eligible for the other team as they weren't allowed to play in the selection tournament [ASRU]....)
I'm not a big fan of the PONI principle, I think players should get selected based on how they play all season and at the end of the school/club tournaments and ultimately based on form. Having said that, the named players should be over the moon they made the PONI squad and considered tier 1 players. I'm sure there are boys who would have loved to have been included whether they made the final squad or not. It's not the UEFA Champions league where if you get eliminated in the early rounds you automatically go into the Europa League. There's only so many pies one can have their fingers in. Irrespective, todays game showed glimmer of hope for the future. I thought #1 was an animal - my man of the match.