• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So what is Higginbotham on the bench for if Hodgson is so good at covering all the loose positions?

Well that depends on the bench split, one of them may be not in the squad, depending on the split

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
McCalman gets one more chance to impress then it's Samo's turn.

We all wish. But I doubt we will see Samo get a go at all this year unless some serious injuries occur. A big shame.

I honestly think Deans is quite disrespectful to senior Wallabies who have put their body on the line for their country over their career. If Deans was coach of the QLD Maroons rugby league side, Lockyer, Petro, Hodges, Thurston and co would all be ditched for young no names with potential with the goal of winning the State of Origin 5 years from now instead of this year.

T

tranquility

Mayyyyyybe, Timani is being sent over on a suicide mission?

That head of his can do some serious damage to all and sundry, the only issue is that he can't aim the thing and his team mates always seem to be in the line of fire.

Good thinking though Rob.

Cheers to being a good egg

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Honestly, the All Blacks must just be rubbing their hands together in glee at the thought of McCalman lining up at 8. Bit harsh but I think true. They cannot rate him. The gulf between him and Reid is gargantuan.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have spent all my life having a contrarian approach to a whole range of matters so it shouldn't surprise me but I still don't get it. I imagine that the majority of our members class themselves as Wallabies supporters yet so many posts here are full of personal criticism, ridicule and bile directed towards our own players. These are young blokes who have risen to the top through a quite unforgiving process of natural selection and each time they take the field they are out there giving it their best shot.

I on the other hand do not hold back from criticising their masters; the coaches and administrators of our sport. Usually when I do so I am berated for having the audacity to question their wisdom, foresight, and commitment to a grand unstated vision which is destined to yield some glorious benefit at some indeterminate time in the future. I have grown old waiting for such bonanzas.

I suppose I shall just have to keep marching to the beat of a drum that I sometimes think I alone can hear.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
We all wish. But I doubt we will see Samo get a go at all this year unless some serious injuries occur. A big shame.

I honestly think Deans is quite disrespectful to senior Wallabies who have put their body on the line for their country over their career. If Deans was coach of the QLD Maroons rugby league side, Lockyer, Petro, Hodges, Thurston and co would all be ditched for young no names with potential with the goal of winning the State of Origin 5 years from now instead of this year.

I'm a Deans fan but if I had one major critisism of him this would be it, couldnt have put it any better than you did.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Fair point Bruce though for myself I can tire of repeated criticism of coaches. I had issues with the bagging Mooney copped in 2009, as I do that of Hickey and Deans. I became a Reds fan in 2008 on the back of the style of rugby he fostered. The cynic in me wonders what we would find on these boards about Link if we digged back to his Tahs days?

It is a tough and often thankless job and I admire the people who stand up for that role, be it the local under 7s or the national team.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Often when people are commenting on a player not being the best option or that they don't deserve selection as much as another player they are criticizing the coach who is obviously responsible for that selection. I am pretty sure that should be obvious even from as big a horse as you just jumped on, Bruce. ;)

I have seen a lot of criticism of selections in this thread but not so much personal attacks on players that you seem to suggest.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Often when people are commenting on a player not being the best option or that they don't deserve selection as much as another player they are criticizing the coach who is obviously responsible for that selection. I am pretty sure that should be obvious even from as big a horse as you just jumped on, Bruce. ;)

I have seen a lot of criticism of selections in this thread but not so much personal attacks on players that you seem to suggest.

This times 10.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm disappointed that Gits and Sharpe are not in the 22 but can understand the reasoning behind Sharpe more so than Giteau.

If Deans sees the Queensland lock combination as his best pairing and wants more physical impact off the bench, then I can see the logic behind Vickerman as the bench choice.

Giteau can cover any position in the backline and cover it well. He often gets beaten up on this forum for his play at 10. I think we all agree that QC (Quade Cooper) is a better 10 than Gits, but Gits still has the ability to slice open defenses. Coach after coach has spoken of their admiration for Gits commitment. Gits has leadership, smarts, experience, speed and grit which are attributes I'd like to see on the bench. This is not a knock on bench alternatives. I just think Gits offers more.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reports today that a 4/3 split will be used with fainga'a, Cowan, vickerman, burgess, fainga'a and turner. Wouldn't be a bad idea I think, especially as Fainga'a and Turner could help close out a game - it also indicates Elsom and pocock playing a full game which would be nice.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It seems the main reason for Gits to be selected in any team is so if things go wrong then we have a backup, this seems like a very negative viewpoint to give the other players.

I say dont pick him because we are going to play well and are not planning for injuries. We will only select players that are the best in the country at their position. By taking a positive attitude into the game we are promoting a winning attitude.

To me being a Wallaby should be about being the best at your job, not the 2nd or 3rd best at a number of jobs

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Disagree - Look what PdV has done with the boks. Instead of selecting form players, we're seeing the same old warhorses. If he were selecting based on form, surely we'd be seeing a different SA.

When Deans selects on form, e.g. with McCabe, there's whining. When Deans keeps an experienced player in, e.g. Elsom, there's whining. You're advocating Samo in one breath, but then saying Deans should keep players on in the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.