• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Braveheart.

It's still pissing down in Sydney. I can see Morné Steyne being the man of the match. Gerrard should be playing in this one now.

Why all the Gerrard love?

Did you see last weekend's game? IMO Gerrard had a shocker from the back, and his "big boot" went missing when we should have been playing a field position. You're also forgetting last week has wet and slippery under foot.

Gerrard should not be playing. Beale should & he is....

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper back covering I think that the Wallabies should be able to return the kicks quite well.

Qwerty please never mention replacing Ioane with Turner again. I almost shat myself at the thought.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Turner for Ioane? I take your point that Ioane doesn't kick but I just don't see how you can drop him, especially for Turner.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This doesn't exactly fit in this thread, but I was interested to read in todays SMH that the Wallabies now have a 'leadership group' which contains Rocky, Genia, Pocock and Horwill. Shows that Sharpe may be a bit on the outer with the selectors maybe?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This doesn't exactly fit in this thread, but I was interested to read in todays SMH that the Wallabies now have a 'leadership group' which contains Rocky, Genia, Pocock and Horwill. Shows that Sharpe may be a bit on the outer with the selectors maybe?

He wasn't even getting a contract for a while

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Turner for Ioane? I take your point that Ioane doesn't kick but I just don't see how you can drop him, especially for Turner.

I bet Ioane will play in the defensive line with Cooper, Beale & JOC (James O'Connor) as the back 3

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Surprising. Maybe more to his being dropped than simply blooding Simmons?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)

Did you see last weekend's game? IMO Gerrard had a shocker from the back, and his "big boot" went missing when we should have been playing a field position. You're also forgetting last week has wet and slippery under foot.

having watched the game a couple of times now i wouldnt say gerrard had a shocker by any means> i thought he played well and much better than most on the field
and gits was @ 10 and supposedly calling the shots> it was his job to call in gerrard for the kicks which he didnt>
beale coming on was a must> imo the error came when gerrard was taken off while he should have gone to outside center and the plan b should have been gerrard belting the ball downfield for the line where we could have attacked the lineout.
in this weather gerrards ability to kick the ball 15meters further than anyone else in the team is very important>> its been so long since we had latham in the team that everyones forgotten how a long kick can dictate a game.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Gerrard does have a very good boot but I'd rather bring in some like Turner for Ioane. Turner's probably got the best boot out of the wingers and the step down is much less than Gerrard to Beale.

when mitchell went down digby stepped up and became the best winger in australia if not the comp.
i dont understand how anyone could suggest dropping ioane for turner?
seriously from what ive seen in form this year mitchell> ioane> JOC (James O'Connor)> davies> morahan>turner
sure he was good 2 seasons ago, sure he had one good test against the all blacks last year, sure he scored a good try against the crusaders a few years ago but hes gunna kick every ball that comes his way and if he doesnt do that we might see the myth that is his supposed pace which we havnt seen for years
in this weather hes not gunna outrun anyone anyway.
i guess hes good for all those times hes given the ball with noone around him and a clear run to the line thou

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
out of curiosity what do people outside of nsw think of turner?
i was very close to the sideline this year when nsw v reds @ sydney and saw turner given the ball in space with only cooper defending> all week cooper had been blasted about being one of the weakest defenders in the comp, turner had miles of space and could have done anything but kicked away his opportunity(into touch if i remember correctly)... ive seen him do it all too often the last 2 years. however since the fan forum i noticed a massive change in his gameplan and he has looked a much much better player for it

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
out of curiosity what do people outside of nsw think of turner?

Good defender, Solid player. But if you listen to the Podcast with Mitchell in it, he states that wingers need to be firstly good finishers. Its what they are built to do. Turner is a poor finisher in my opinion and I would much rather any of the Reds wingers Digby, Davies, Morahan. Even Henry-Spreight from the Brumbies and Pakalini from the tahs have shown they are good finishers when given the opportunity. Turner has speed but doesn't use it, its a frustrating waste of a skill and I would not like to see him in the wallabies again.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)

Thought the same thing. Odd really as Andrew Hore is in the AB's leadership group and he is certainly not starting if Mealamu is healthy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Apparently he would've been out of the 22 if Vickerman didn't pull up sore.

As for replacing Ioane with Turner I still agree. Ioane can't kick very well. Turner's got one of the best boots and never let anyone down at int. level, he'd be more useful than replacing Beale.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Where is Ioane going to defend in the line so that Cooper can drop back? Don't really see him being a great defender at 10 so only other option is 13 with McCabe at 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12.

A lot of the moments this season that had me shaking my head in disbelief at what QC (Quade Cooper) could pull off was when he was at the back and getting out of trouble that he had no right to or looking to counter attack. He is better than Beale in space on counter attack but Beale is his equal in traffic and better in contact. Robbie is mad if he doesn't look to play them both at the back.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Apparently he would've been out of the 22 if Vickerman didn't pull up sore.
I'm not sure where all this has come from, I can only assume it's because Simmons and Vicks offer a lot more grunt work at the breakdown. But I thought that Sharpe was definatly in our top 2 locks.

Can't say that we'd lose much with Horwill,Simmons and Vickerman ahead of Sharpe

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure where all this has come from, I can only assume it's because Simmons and Vicks offer a lot more grunt work at the breakdown. But I thought that Sharpe was definatly in our top 2 locks.

Can't say that we'd lose much with Horwill,Simmons and Vickerman ahead of Sharpe

Sharpe may have been lucky to remain in the 22, with Deans revealing that Dan Vickerman has a back strain.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...of-test-oblivion/story-e6frg7o6-1226097853767

Add in the fact he was taken off last week tactically as far as I'm aware. Yes, I'd assume Robbie wasn't happy with Sharpe's physical impact at the breakdown.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Have you seen anything in Deans' tenure that indicates he has any interest in playing a territory based game plan. Even in 2009 when the Bok reigned supreme with this game plan it was not prefered. Agains Samoa the whole structure of the backline was to run every ball, much like the Brumbies did this year. It was obvious that this was the game plan and given that fact it makes Gerrard's selection so much more perplexing. They almost set to poor bastard up to fail IMO given his strengths are so far removed from those require by the game plan.

This whole argument comes back to what I was saying before the England test on the EOYT, we need the ability in a squad to select players for the individual circumstances such as opposition and weather conditions AND game plan to be played. If we are playing in a mud puddle who better to hold the scrum and wade to ruck after ruck than a Potplant, and who better to get the territory than Gerrard? If you play a fast paced ball in hand game with minimal kicking (which the Super Rugby Series showed isn't that successful anymore) why pick such players are they are just not a fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.