• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You'd like to stick with our 32 year old hooker who isn't playing in Australia and can't throw a lineout -- when our lineout is already going to be very poor?
I mean we could just abandon the lineout altogether. But I don't think that would work out well.

Edit: Also I forgot injury riddled.
You said we should consider George Smith in the back row but you’re dismissing TPN because of his age and history of injury (has Smith actually played any Super Rugby this season)? TPN’s throwing was fine last year and he was a standout in basically every Wallaby game he played.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Lost me at Zero Cool and all the random waffling and conspiracy theory that followed strangely did not tempt me to come back.

You wanted the discussion back on track - ZC has contributed about his thoughts on WBs selections. If people think it too long winded why don't they provide their own suggestions - keep it to who they think should be there and why, not criticisms of Cheika.

I expect that Genia will start at 9 but who will be the backup? I can't see Phipps getting it having not played - would you go for Powell or Gordon?
Who will play at 6?
Assuming that 10/12 will be Foley/Beale with Beale moving into 10 if Foley is off, how does that affect the outside backs and the defensive setup?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You'd like to stick with our 32 year old hooker who isn't playing in Australia and can't throw a lineout -- when our lineout is already going to be very poor?
I mean we could just abandon the lineout altogether. But I don't think that would work out well.

You mean that hard fluffybunny who can run the ball like an 8, is abrasive in defense, has been throwing the line-out effectively at club and country level for at least 2 years now, played like 5 games with a broken arm and was the form hooker in the world last year? Yes i'd play that motherfucker until he died.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)

Gahhhhh YOU WENT THERE?! ::faceplam:::D

Please do me a favour and watch the last 4 years of TPN's games, concentrating objectively on his lineouts.
Compare against the other Australian Hookers.
Then come back with a statistically significant number of errors on his lineouts.
And for fun sake, go watch his last 4 Leicester games, let me know how many missed line outs again (also must be a statistically significant number).

Injuries - in the last 3 years aside from playing for 6 months with a broken arm, and still playing well, he's not the injury addled person you seem to think he is.
His last season at the Tahs (with broken arm) & season at the Force, have been some of his best to date & he's doing a good job at Leicester too.

The story that his line outs are poorer than the others & that he's "injury riddled" is not only untrue, but so out of date.

But please, keep going on with the old news, it's great to see it rehashed at a quarterly rate.
Just let me know before it's posted next time, so I can get some popcorn ready.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You wanted the discussion back on track - ZC has contributed about his thoughts on WBs selections. If people think it too long winded why don't they provide their own suggestions - keep it to who they think should be there and why, not criticisms of Cheika.

I expect that Genia will start at 9 but who will be the backup? I can't see Phipps getting it having not played - would you go for Powell or Gordon?
Who will play at 6?
Assuming that 10/12 will be Foley/Beale with Beale moving into 10 if Foley is off, how does that affect the outside backs and the defensive setup?

I'm not obligated to like his thoughts or the fact he took such a long-winded post to make them. Which was my point.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not obligated to like his thoughts or the fact he took such a long-winded post to make them. Which was my point.
Then maybe just not ‘like’ instead of taking a pot shot.
I was ecstatic for a rugby related post, regardless of content and TLDR factor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Then maybe just not ‘like’ instead of taking a pot shot.
I was ecstatic for a rugby related post, regardless of content and TLDR factor.

So I guess you'll admonish the others who also didn't like his post for similar reasons? Or would this be a "pot-shot"? ;)
And for the record, I noted it was waffling (vis-a-vis offering up most of the extended Reds squad as options), and full of conspiracy theory which is hardly original thought around here.
But I'll take your advice on board.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gahhhhh YOU WENT THERE?! ::faceplam:::D

Please do me a favour and watch the last 4 years of TPN's games, concentrating objectively on his lineouts.
Compare against the other Australian Hookers.
Then come back with a statistically significant number of errors on his lineouts.
And for fun sake, go watch his last 4 Leicester games, let me know how many missed line outs again (also must be a statistically significant number).

Injuries - in the last 3 years aside from playing for 6 months with a broken arm, and still playing well, he's not the injury addled person you seem to think he is.
His last season at the Tahs (with broken arm) & season at the Force, have been some of his best to date & he's doing a good job at Leicester too.

The story that his line outs are poorer than the others & that he's "injury riddled" is not only untrue, but so out of date.

But please do, keep going on with the old news, it's great to see it rehashed at a quarterly rate.
Just let me know before it's posted next time, so I can get some popcorn ready.

Nah leave at Tigers please.
The guy is 100% commitment around the field smashing rucks, been destroying teams in the scrum (part of a front row that has binned 2 opposition props in 2 weeks at the scrum) and his lineouts have been fine, also possessor of the best smile in Prem Rugby.

Although i'm a bit concerned about the amount of aussies we have.
MOC - Head coach
Mark Bakewell - Forwards coach (Been amazing)
Taf
To'omua - World class
Malouf - Surprisingly good and taken to XV's quickly.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
The guy is 100% commitment around the field smashing rucks, been destroying teams in the scrum (part of a front row that has binned 2 opposition props in 2 weeks at the scrum) and his lineouts have been fine, also possessor of the best smile in Prem Rugby.

That 10mins of scrums against Bath was brutal! Great to watch, felt sorry for the new Bath prop, he got owned!!

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Although i'm a bit concerned about the amount of aussies we have.
MOC - Head coach
Mark Bakewell - Forwards coach (Been amazing)
Taf
To'omua - World class
Malouf - Surprisingly good and taken to XV's quickly.

Yeah, mate, not gunna lie. Australia could use a few of those blokes back hey. We aren't exactly overflowing with talent.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
TPN is the obvious and probably well deserved pick at 2 for the mid year tests.

However maybe there should be a view on the EOYT to bring the new guy in
ready for the RWC. I reckon Taf could be a bit past it by then.

There are now 3 solid contenders
Uelese, BPA and I believe Damian Fitzpatrick

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Damien Fitzpatrick is flying under the radar and is definitely a chance at making a Wallaby squad at some point this year. He's very reliable at the lineout and gets through a good amount of work around the field and is a pretty good ball player. I think he has been good this year. He's a Waratah as well which clearly puts him head and shoulders above players of similar ability. ;)