• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Re naiyarovoro, after tonight I’m thinking that rather than have him in 23 and a utility in 22, why not start him and have the utility in 23
Yep if he was a kiwi we’d be talking about how we’d never be able to stop him and how our whole defensive setup would have to change to take care of him. To start he would probably edge out Koroibete and we could play DHP at 14 and Folau at 15 (although ideally those two would have swap the numbers on their backs).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
IMO I’d still have Koriobete in front of him.

But he is certainly a much improved player and is really putting his hand up.

Would be good if Taqele gets a run against Ireland at some stage (even if it's not the first game) and if he is just as destructive and isn't exploited in defence then look to play him in the Rugby Championship.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would be good if Taqele gets a run against Ireland at some stage (even if it's not the first game) and if he is just as destructive and isn't exploited in defence then look to play him in the Rugby Championship.
Sexton will stick a kick in behind every time he touches the ball.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Taqele would likely fill in for Foley in the frontline if he gets a gig and if he is on the wing we'd have sweeper in place for those kicks (watch Hegarty cover them for the Waratahs). As far as defensive changes go in the backline it's actually a relatively simple and logical change for the bigger/less mobile guy to move in tight and the smaller more mobile guy to move out wide.

Edit: Also note in a short interview Taqele did with SBS he says dropping weight has helped him turn and cover kicks in behind.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Funny how people forget that Lomu had massive issues with turning and chasing the ABs made sure that the 15 was in position to sweep and the counter was very effective because teams often expected to get more pay from the tactic than they did.

However given the demonstrated skills of the Australian coaches to select players and develop systems in conjunction with said selection to ensure players are not exposed in that sort of fashion (eg Rona and Kerevi in defence situations they simply were not equipped for) I do not doubt that Taqele would be significantly exposed.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I just wonder if picking Taqele is a waste because of the game plan to have him is going to be a change and next year his pissing off to the U.K.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I just wonder if picking Taqele is a waste because of the game plan to have him is going to be a change and next year his pissing off to the U.K.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I agree but the whole edifice of Australian Rugby has no ethical standing and makes decisions on the whims of the coaches with regard to issues like this.

If they select him I doubt they will make the requisite changes to balance the side, same as when Skelton was selected, or last year's favourite Hanigan. I do not argue for his selection, though I do not have an issue with it as he has given service to Australian Rugby THIS year, unlike my arguments against the prior selections of Elsom and Vickerman (and the Giteau rule) which allows a player to be selected without having given that service to the game here in the year where they will be taking the ARU coin.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

What exactly changes in the game plan though? You try and get the ball to your wingers in space.

Certainly with the form Taqele is in it is worthwhile giving him a crack with less space against the defence but it's not like they're trying to do anything particularly different.

He's making a strong case to beat out Koroibete or Naivalu for a wing spot (I think the other winger will be DHP for the second fullback role) or to wear the 23 jersey.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Absolutely, and will ignite another culture war inferno for good measure.

No idea who @chef09876 is but I wouldn't call him a reliable source of info.