• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And why the need to put 'newbies' in anyway?

The current Wallabies are a relatively young bunch. With the exception of Greg Holmes and maybe Fardy I'd expect everyone to be pushing for 2019.

If we had a whole lot of ageing warriors then I would think it's a smart tactic, but honestly I can't see the need for it this year, unless of course they are the best player in their chosen position.

dru

David Wilson (68)
im sure the backline above is what we will see, but the backline i would like to see is

9. Phipps
10. Lealiifano
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Beale

Stirzaker
Foley
Hunt

Good! For me:
a) swap Hunt and Beale around
b) Folau to 12 if we are to move him from FB

The finishers would be Stirz, To'omua, Beale. Foley stays at home.

I really dont know about 14.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Promo clip for the new Jersey just launched. Looks like better cut around the neck but can't tell much else.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
And why the need to put 'newbies' in anyway?

The current Wallabies are a relatively young bunch. With the exception of Greg Holmes and maybe Fardy I'd expect everyone to be pushing for 2019.

If we had a whole lot of ageing warriors then I would think it's a smart tactic, but honestly I can't see the need for it this year, unless of course they are the best player in their chosen position.

I can think of a few reasons: injury cover, making a more flexible squad, maintaining competition in the squad, building a culture of continuous development and growth and a bit of plain old taking a punt on a guy with some potential who Cheika thinks he might be able to turn into a top class player.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Looking at the RWC finals team as the base, this is my current guess. Mumm being likely to be the only current unit to miss out on form

15 Israel Folau
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper Rob Horne\ Dane Haylett-Petty
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Matt Giteau Matt To'omua
11 Drew Mitchell Joe Tomane
10 Bernard Foley
9 Will Genia (hasn't played a lot this season so maybe) Nick Phipps
8 David Pocock
7 Michael Hooper
6 Scott Fardy
5 Rob Simmons
4 Kane Douglas Rory Arnold
3 Sekope Kepu Greg Holmes
2 Stephen Moore (c)
1 Scott Sio
Replacements:
HK 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
PR 17 James Slipper
PR 18 Greg Holmes Laurie Weeks
LK 19 Dean Mumm ?? Coleman
N8 20 Ben McCalman
SH 21 Nick Phipps / Stirzaker
CE 22 Matt To'omua Christian Lealiifano
CE 23 Kurtley Beale

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Looking at the RWC finals team as the base, this is my current guess. Mumm being likely to be the only current unit to miss out on form

15 Israel Folau
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper Rob Horne\ Dane Haylett-Petty
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Matt Giteau Matt To'omua
11 Drew Mitchell Joe Tomane
10 Bernard Foley
9 Will Genia (hasn't played a lot this season so maybe) Nick Phipps
8 David Pocock
7 Michael Hooper
6 Scott Fardy
5 Rob Simmons
4 Kane Douglas Rory Arnold
3 Sekope Kepu Greg Holmes
2 Stephen Moore (c)
1 Scott Sio
Replacements:
HK 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
PR 17 James Slipper
PR 18 Greg Holmes Laurie Weeks
LK 19 Dean Mumm ?? Coleman
N8 20 Ben McCalman
SH 21 Nick Phipps / Stirzaker
CE 22 Matt To'omua Christian Lealiifano
CE 23 Kurtley Beale

I think your 1 - 15 will be pretty much on the ball. On the bench, I'd rather Carter at reserve lock (and I think Cheika will go that way as well), and Jed Holloway for Ben McCalman. Reserve THP is a bit of an unknown. Will Cheika stick with Benny Alexander (who I think is now about third No 3 in the Brumbies' lineup) or go with Weeks?

dru

David Wilson (68)
Hanson has been shocking this year in the lineout. Dreadful.

95% last season, poor this season. Surely thats not the player but coaching? Reds value the set piece in a way that many franchises just dont quite share.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Which newbies in particular?

IMO Holloway and DHP deserve (ie have earned) a call up to the squad and probably to the bench at some time during the series v England. The Aus selectors have to be looking to the future as well as procuring a series win. These two are standouts as far as being potential Wallabies is concerned.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is an incredibly high chance McMahon will feature in the matchday 23 regardless of whether it means we have Pocock, Hooper and McMahon all in the 23. His form has just been that good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On form you'd play McMahon over Hooper, but I don't see the McCock replacing the Pooper.............

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Backrow reserve I'd guess. Probably pushes McCalman out of the side.

That was my initial thought, though it does leave us short of coverage at eight. Still, McMahon is good at those close in dirty yards as well so maybe it makes sense. Three opensides on the pitch at once! He's such a beast you almost have to find a spot for him.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Completely different Kettle of fish, but he played a good chunk of 8 at the JRWC in his U20 year. Never started there, but in all but one game he played the final 20-30 minutes there IIRC.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Poey and McMahon are both good at the hard and dirty yards up the middle. Good enough that we're not losing much there compared to McCalman, Palu etc. it's just whether in the loose they offer the right balance. I think at this stage McMahon's form has to earn him jersey 20 or 21. It would not surprise me to see the Wobs roll with
Hooker
LHP
THP
2nd row
6/8
McMahon
Genia
Beale

On the bench a lot this year