• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think experimenting is the wrong word. I can't see anymore than 1-2 debutantes in the Engalnd series, but nor do I think Cheika will shy from picking a rookie if he thinks he is the player for the job. Cheika has shown a preference for experience, but there is still opportunities there for a newby or two to get a shot.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No big risks against England, we've got to win that series. The experiments usually happen on the EOYT and I'm good with that. Overall though I'm of the belief that you pick your best XV every week and rotate the others through the bench, there are enough spots there now to do that.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I think experimenting is the wrong word. I can't see anymore than 1-2 debutantes in the England series, but nor do I think Cheika will shy from picking a rookie if he thinks he is the player for the job. Cheika has shown a preference for experience, but there is still opportunities there for a newby or two to get a shot.

There's every chance Holloway and Stirzaker will both get a call up against the Poms. It's vitally important series like these are used to blood a couple of worthy newbies. I'd also like to see Coleman get a guernsey, for mine Simmons and Carter are very similar, we desperately need an enforcer in the second row.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
im sure the backline above is what we will see, but the backline i would like to see is

9. Phipps
10. Lealiifano
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Beale

Stirzaker
Foley
Hunt

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There's every chance Holloway and Stirzaker will both get a call up against the Poms. It's vitally important series like these are used to blood a couple of worthy newbies. I'd also like to see Coleman get a guernsey, for mine Simmons and Carter are very similar, we desperately need an enforcer in the second row.

Agree on all three. They (and DHP) should be the ones to figure in the squad. They won't all get in the 23 and nor should they, but I'd like to see them in the squad for that series. Their performances certainly warrant it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I just can't see the value in shifting Folau from the No 15 spot when he's the best we've had there at test level probably since Latho.

But DHP on the wing would provide a good balance in having an extra kicker in the back three.

So, my preference if we are looking for a new/replacement/temporary No 14 would be 11 Tomane, 14 DHP, 15 Folau, bench Beale.

I certainly agree with Lindommer that Holloway is well on track to make the 23 if Poey plays 8, or the starting side if not. The competition is McCalman who imo is just a workhorse who doesn't bend the line with ball in hand, and Vaea who doesn't jump (at least not often) and has some fitness questions, but along with Holloway can bend the line and hurt in defense. Holloway's other value is that he can cover lock and I presume 6 and jump in the lineout.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Holloway has certainly stepped up and showed some real dynamism around the park and I want that in an eight. His ball carrying and support play in the loose this season has been pretty excellent.

Reactions: TSR

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Coleman is probably a combination of the lineout exponent and enforcer, and hence probably 3rd in line behind Simmons and Carter.

Arnold or Neville are our enforcer locks in waiting imo.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I haven't seen anything from Coleman this season to suggest he deserves a Wallaby jersey.

He is one of those players who everyone talks a lot about, but outside a few small bursts I am yet to see anything really noteworthy.

At the moment I would have him behind Simmons, Carter, Arnold, Neville, Jones and Timani.

T

TOCC

Coleman is probably a combination of the lineout exponent and enforcer, and hence probably 3rd in line behind Simmons and Carter.

Arnold or Neville are our enforcer locks in waiting imo.

Someone did an article on Colemans line-out calling a couple of weeks ago and it makes for interesting reading, he has a bit of work to do based off that article.

Current Australian teams line-out success
Reds: 91.%
Brumbies: 90%
Tahs: 84%
Force: 83%
Rebels: 79%

Surprised how bad the Rebels line-out is going given that Hanson was throwing at 95% for much of last season.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I just can't see the value in shifting Folau from the No 15 spot when he's the best we've had there at test level probably since Latho.
It's the same value that our current Wallabies coach saw in picking our best open side flanker at 8.

I don't think Beale has played tests fully fit since about 2011. The same year he was finalist for international player of the year, playing fullback.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's the same value that our current Wallabies coach saw in picking our best open side flanker at 8.

I don't think Beale has played tests fully fit since about 2011. The same year he was finalist for international player of the year, playing fullback.

Folau is infinitely better under the high ball..........

I think Beale will either remain an impact player off the bench or could play on the wing, but won't start at fullback........

I haven't seen anything from Coleman this season to suggest he deserves a Wallaby jersey.

He is one of those players who everyone talks a lot about, but outside a few small bursts I am yet to see anything really noteworthy.

At the moment I would have him behind Simmons, Carter, Arnold, Neville, Jones and Timani.

I don't think Coleman will start ahead of the likes of of Simmons, Carter and Arnold (and Douglas, and possibly Skelton or Mumm), but might have a chance ahead of those other guys mentioned, particularly Jones and Timani who I doubt we'll see as test locks.........

Cheika will surely favour his RWC players and anyone that's been involved in his previous squads.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
No big risks against England, we've got to win that series. The experiments usually happen on the EOYT and I'm good with that. Overall though I'm of the belief that you pick your best XV every week and rotate the others through the bench, there are enough spots there now to do that.
When we have the chance to win the grand slam..

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think this England series is the place you will will see many raw recruits in the starting side, I see a couple of bench players being moved up and a slight chance of a couple of bench options for the squaddies and then the test virgins

The only exceptions are the really out of form guys and the only guy I see that fits that bill today is Skelton.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon if we win the first two Tests we will see some newbies. I hope so. If we do not push the envelope this year we never will.