• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You know I keep reading these ridiculous comments on how Australia can't support 5 super rugby franchises.

Chicken and bloody egg rings to mind. Has anybody bothered to see how many rugby schoolboys we lose to league as we can't offer the same money league offers to schoolboy prodigees?

If we don't create a strong Rugby Franchise across Australia we will just lose more and more quality players to league. So you either make it strong or just give up. We need five super rugby franchises so have opportunities to retain wider bunch of talented professional footballers as we are losing so many of our schoolboy stars to league it is not funny.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You know I keep reading these ridiculous comments on how Australia can't support 5 super rugby franchises.

Chicken and bloody egg rings to mind. Has anybody bothered to see how many rugby schoolboys we lose to league as we can't offer the same money league offers to schoolboy prodigees?

If we don't create a strong Rugby Franchise across Australia we will just lose more and more quality players to league. So you either make it strong or just give up. We need five super rugby franchises so have opportunities to retain wider bunch of talented professional footballers as we are losing so many of our schoolboy stars to league it is not funny.

I have been saying for a while that the issue in Australia isn't the lack of playing talent but rather the lack of quality coaches to lead them.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Hear hear. The additional franchises have increased our depth remarkably. Whether or not they're all competitive misses the point.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Promo clip for the new Jersey just launched. Looks like better cut around the neck but can't tell much else.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Still no collar.

Oh how I pine for the days when men wore jerseys made out of leather and smoked cigarettes on the field. The purpose of a rugby jersey is to look good in a bar. All this high-performane malarkey goes right over my head.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think your 1 - 15 will be pretty much on the ball. On the bench, I'd rather Carter at reserve lock (and I think Cheika will go that way as well), and Jed Holloway for Ben McCalman. Reserve THP is a bit of an unknown. Will Cheika stick with Benny Alexander (who I think is now about third No 3 in the Brumbies' lineup) or go with Weeks?

I simple don't think Alexander is a test THP, Weekes can pack low and stable; and the Poms will be coming after our set piece and our breakdown, we need rock lifters who can do their job and put in a session, I see Coleman as the next Douglas, a nose down bum up proper lock who wants to smash people.

I expect the see Hollaway in the squad but not playing initially, that is the way for young forwards. McCalman has the workrate and lineout ability to be that third lineout option either at lock if necessary or the back row, and I don't see how we can have McMahon, Pocock and Hooper in the side. McMahon and Hooper seem interchangeable (like for like), as do Pocock and Gill actually.

The Mil

Bob McCowan (2)
McCalman won't even make the bench. Holloway will be No. 20 and go on to replace Fardy at 55mins moving Pocock to the flank and taking up the No. 8 position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McCalman won't even make the bench. Holloway will be No. 20 and go on to replace Fardy at 55mins moving Pocock to the flank and taking up the No. 8 position.

Holloway has been playing very well this year but I think people are well and truly getting ahead of themselves regarding his Wallaby chances.

He didn't make the Cockatoo Island camp (which was selected prior to the season commencing) and Cheika never really rated him when he was Waratahs coach.

I think we're far more likely to see McMahon and/or McCalman in the matchday 23 than Holloway.

The Mil

Bob McCowan (2)
He didn't make the Cockatoo Island camp (which was selected prior to the season commencing) and Cheika never really rated him when he was Waratahs coach.

I think we're far more likely to see McMahon and/or McCalman in the matchday 23 than Holloway.

I wouldn't say Cheika didn't rate him, just that the Tahs had an enormous amount of backrowers with skill and experience. Potgeiter, Palu, Hoiles, Hooper, McCutcheon, Chapman, Dennis. Holloway was the baby.

Now he's providing the most complete No. 8 game in Australia. Vaea still seems a bit unfit and McCalman plays an edge game rather than smashing through the middle. The less said about Schatz the better and Thompson is a kiwi of course.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Holloway at least finally cemented a super rugby starting position this year with his performances...lets not get ahead of ourselves suggesting anything more. As not a wallaby contender by any stretch of the imagination.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I simple don't think Alexander is a test THP, Weekes can pack low and stable; and the Poms will be coming after our set piece and our breakdown, we need rock lifters who can do their job and put in a session, I see Coleman as the next Douglas, a nose down bum up proper lock who wants to smash people.

I expect the see Hollaway in the squad but not playing initially, that is the way for young forwards. McCalman has the workrate and lineout ability to be that third lineout option either at lock if necessary or the back row, and I don't see how we can have McMahon, Pocock and Hooper in the side. McMahon and Hooper seem interchangeable (like for like), as do Pocock and Gill actually.

Fatprop for selector.

I'd quite like to see a Gill McMahon partnership at some stage. It could be a revelation.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Holloway at least finally cemented a super rugby starting position this year with his performances.lets not get ahead of ourselves suggesting anything more. As not a wallaby contender by any stretch of the imagination.

Have to disagree, you can't ignore form like his. By far the outstanding 8 of the Super Rugby conference, even with Ita considered.you can't blame him for not having a spot in the tahs 15 with Potgieter, Palu and Dennis ahead of him.He's a bigger Higginbotham in my eyes, rangy running and a high workrate. It's all up to Cheik really and he didn't back him at the tahs so I feel like we'll be disappointed.