• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If Cheika continues with Pocock at 8, then Holloway would be the ideal bench cover for 6 and 8. With his size, skills and line breaking ability, he could be anything if given the chance. We really do have to move on from some of the workhorses who haven't delivered at the top level, ie against the ABs in the recent past. I would place Ben McCalman in that category along with Dennis and Mumm.

Rob Simmons is also in danger of joining that group if one or two of the more aggressive up and coming locks can consistently operate the lineout. While we are all talking up Arnold and Coleman, with reason, the future could well be Tom Staniforth. He is now realising the potential he showed from Schoolboys to U20s and is the type of aggressive, never say die lock I think we've been looking for over many years. Loves to get his hands on the ball and just doesn't allow a tackler or two to stop him, and his maul work is reminiscent of Will Skelton at his best.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Hooper and Pocock at 7 and 8 in the series against England.

Hooper's form hasn't been outstanding in the last couple of games but his first couple of games were great and his test form has been exemplary across his career. He's also the vice captain.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's the time of year when we get to moan about established Wallabies who seem to be a bit out of form. I distinctly remember last year the target was Scott Fardy who allegedly wasn't in the sort of form needed for the RC and RWC. And, iirc, a fair bit of that criticism came from some died in the wool Tahs' fans here.

With Gill's (very) recent form, it isn't surprising some are now focussing on Hooper. Fair to say though that MH will be in the 7 jersey for England.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Based on form Gill should get picked at 7. If not Gill then McMahon. If not McMahon then Pocock (and pick another 8).

In other words Michael Hooper is the 4th best 7 ATM.

Will Cheika choose Hooper - of course he will !

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon you guys are watching different games to me, Tahs have been ordinary but Hooper hasn't been one of them. Only behind McMahon in terms of Aus backrower form.

I think it was really only the Rebels and 2nd Reds game where he wasn't excellent.

I think it is really just noticeable how well McMahon and Gill are playing (albeit Gill in limited opportunities) that is making Hooper's form look less impressive.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's the time of year when we get to moan about established Wallabies who seem to be a bit out of form. I distinctly remember last year the target was Scott Fardy who allegedly wasn't in the sort of form needed for the RC and RWC. And, iirc, a fair bit of that criticism came from some died in the wool Tahs' fans here.

Ahh yes let's bring it back to Tahs fans, hey. How is that relevant to anything?

I was uncertain about Fardy last year. And he came out and proved me totally wrong, he's a test match player through and through. I think you can say the same about Hooper.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Based on form Gill should get picked at 7. If not Gill then McMahon. If not McMahon then Pocock (and pick another 8).

It's funny, it's almost like you're suggesting Gill is in better form than McMahon? Surely not, it's universally accepted that Seanny has been THE form player of any position in the Australian conference

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ahh yes let's bring it back to Tahs fans, hey. How is that relevant to anything?

I was uncertain about Fardy last year. And he came out and proved me totally wrong, he's a test match player through and through. I think you can say the same about Hooper.

There was no doubt that Fardy's form was below his best for much of the 2015 Super Rugby season and then he had some absolute blinders towards the end of the season and then was outstanding in the tests.

I'm sure that could be quite easily tracked through teams of the week and/or forum comments and match reviews after each week.

Any suggestion that his form was consistently excellent throughout the Super Rugby season would be a substantial revision of history.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Scrubs

did you by chance see rugby 360 on Fox last night, Kafer highlighted three or four moments (Bad kicks and passes.) in the last Reds game, decisions by Gill, that showed why he isn't a test player yet.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Holloway at least finally cemented a super rugby starting position this year with his performances.lets not get ahead of ourselves suggesting anything more. As not a wallaby contender by any stretch of the imagination.

He is not playing for Wales;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Am I the only one who is not sold on McMahon as a test player YET? He absolutely carves up super XV and low-level test teams but has been fairly average against top opposition - if I remember correctly.

I think Gill deserves a shot before him. At least if we are talking pecking orders behind Poey and Hooper who are proven world class test players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubs

did you by chance see rugby 360 on Fox last night, Kafer highlighted three or four moments (Bad kicks and passes.) in the last Reds game, decisions by Gill, that showed why he isn't a test player yet.

Kafe was right in a couple of silly decisions by Gill.

Happy to change to McMahon then Pocock then Gill and finally Hooper

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
what? no Hodgson, Colby Faainga & Butler in front of Hooper as well?

Nope he is mid field ATM - some of the posters think he is playing at his best - time to be realistic

No doubt he will get chosen (because of past performances in green & gold).