• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If Cheika selects him in the wider squad then good stuff for Ta'avao.

Frankly I hold Cheika's opinion on selections a lot higher than the Posters om G&G (other than a couple)

He is human as anbody else. He requires feedback and critique just like anybody else. He made a big mistake in the RWC starting the injured Folau in the final and debatably there were a couple of other calls that hindsight can make an informed opinion on.

Chieka is without a doubt the best Coach the Wallabies have had in more than a decade (Jones was good when he first started and I think Connolly wasn't given the time to bring meaningful change). That said everybody can make errors of judgement.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ready, Kerevi, Frisby, Neville, and Hunt have all shown glimpses this season, but I think I'm sold on them being around the squad for the England series.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ready, Kerevi, Frisby, Neville, and Hunt have all shown glimpses this season, but I think I'm sold on them being around the squad for the England series.

One game and they start talking about Hunt pushing Folau to centre. call me old fashioned, but I'd like to see some consistent performances from those boys before we talk wallabies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought I read that Cheika was looking at Hunt as a 12.

I think Hunt has been pretty good all year but until last night the same couldn't be said for Kerevi, Nabuli, CFS etc, all of which had there best games last night and made Hunt look at another level (for half a game at least).

In saying that, I think Beale's form has been very good and I am not suggesting Hunt Is ahead of either he or To'omua, at either 15 or 12, or anywhere else, just on the basis of last nights game.

Edit: I did think last night showed what Hunt is capable of, and given Cheika has s history of getting the best from players I would be happy to see him given a crack. I would actually like to see Hunt at 12, Beale at 15 and Folau on the wing because I think Beale at 15 might really open up our attack and Folau will still be very good on the wing.

I'd also have Ready as my reserve hooker. Last night wasn't a one off - he has been playing well all year. He is already better than Hanson. If TPN comes back and is back to full fitness and form then fair enough he gets the gig, but otherwise Ready is next cab of the rank IMHO.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd also have Ready as my reserve hooker. Last night wasn't a one off - he has been playing well all year. He is already better than Hanson. If TPN comes back and is back to full fitness and form then fair enough he gets the gig, but otherwise Ready is next cab of the rank IMHO.

Wouldn't be selling Chibba too short anytime soon

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am a big Ready fan. He is in the top three hookers and the only thing counting against him is test experience. He reminds me of a young Stephen Moore with slightly less explosiveness but a better all-round game. It will be interesting to see when Moore arrives at the Reds- who starts? The aging battler or the young bull?

I'm biased, but I think DHP for back up fullback. I think DHP with a team set up like the Wallabies will see him take it up a notch. IMO Beale is best as a utility sub.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
When it comes down to it Forcefield, we're all biased. :)
I like DHP, but I think Beale's form has been outstanding. His short passing game something that i don't think any of our other backs offer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
When it comes down to it Forcefield, we're all biased. :)
I like DHP, but I think Beale's form has been outstanding. His short passing game something that i don't think any of our other backs offer.

It gets hard to really know where players fit in at Wallaby level, when they are unlikely to play the position with which they are familiar at Super level. Hence, rightly enough, most see Beale as a utility, as the evidence at Test level supports that. But probably capable at wing or fullback to start (if it was required). Hard to see DHP fulfilling the utility role at large as well, based on what we know, but he certainly looks handy at 15, and logic might suggest more than capable at wing.
Given that they are likely to be fighting over a utility spot, Beale will probably still shade him, largely for the reason you state - the play-making / passing ability. Now, if the issue was a starting wing position, it gets murkier.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I understand that perspective Cyclo, but personally I have always seen Beale as a fullback who is capable of playing other positions. He is regularly utilised in the fullback role at the Tahs, regardless of the number on his back. His problem for a while was that he wasn't fit enough. When he is at his fittest, he is also at his quickest and most dangerous and I think he is back at that level now. At his best, he deserves to be in the starting 15, IMO.

I have also always thought moving Folau to wing would be no big deal. Given his ability & attributes, I feel Folau could easily play wing and still be the best on the park, especially given how interchangeable wing and fullback are these days.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm biased, but I think DHP for back up fullback. I think DHP with a team set up like the Wallabies will see him take it up a notch. IMO Beale is best as a utility sub.

I think DHP would benefit massively from being part of Camp Wallaby this year. I think he's on the cusp and like you reckon that having some time with Cheika will step his game up even further. He's a genuine contender now and that's great.

Cyclo, I think he's wing or fullback and given that we don't have a lot of depth in either position it would be handy to have some bench cover there.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
At this stage, surely we're looking at

Phipps
Foley
Tomane
To'omua
Kuridrani
DHP
Folau

Stirzaker
Lealiifano
Beale

Hunt, Kerevi, Horne etc in the squad, but can't see them in the 23 at this stage.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The backline you've named is likely, although I would start Beale, even if it is on the wing.

Is that who Cheika will pick - it won't surprise me if there is a smokey or two in there.He's done it before.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think DHP would benefit massively from being part of Camp Wallaby this year. I think he's on the cusp and like you reckon that having some time with Cheika will step his game up even further. He's a genuine contender now and that's great.

Cyclo, I think he's wing or fullback and given that we don't have a lot of depth in either position it would be handy to have some bench cover there.

I'd have DHP in the squad for sure. I'm not sure he quite cracks the 23 at the moment, but plenty of time for me to be proven completely wrong. I think he's a good player.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd love to see Haylett petty have a start against the English with Folau at wing, even just for the first test as a experiment. I'm guessing the June tests will be experimental from Cheika, wouldnt be surprised to see Kerevi get a run since To'omua is abandoning ship.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would it be experimental? Cheika will almost certainly pick who he considers his best side and will want to win all three tests.

Assuming he returns fine from injury I wouldn't be surprised to see Horne on one wing with Tomane on the other.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^^^
Completely agree Cheika won't be experimenting against England - no way he would want to risk a series loss at home, and they will be a tough team to beat.
I think Horne would have some serious ground to make up, simply by virtue of not having played for a long period. And the current Tahs efforts aren't likely to showcase outside backs too well! ;)
That said, given the size of the English backs, someone like Horne might get some kudos points for his defensive ability, so it might advance his case.