• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

David Wilson (68)
I also think that Beale's creativity has waned as his defensive role increased. I quite liked him at 15 with a roving role.

I also think Folau is suited to an openside wing role. I wonder how Hodge would go at 11, Digby-style coming in off 10 at the right moments.

To be fair, Hunt is actually out of position at 12, though he did look very good there.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I thought Beale was playing 15 in the UK.

He did, but TSR specifically said 'super teams'. It's difficult to see Beale playing anywhere other than 12 for the Tahs with both Foley and Folau in the mix, assuming they are fit of course.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon it is KBs time. He has come back a more complete player but has always been one of the most naturally gifted players ever in Australia.
He now seems to have got the top two inches working well.

Keep him at 12 partnered up with TK and let them build up a decent, potentially great, centre partnership.
We always have Hunt/Kerevi as a back up when need be. Also Parese may come through.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, Higgers is in Japan? Was that already set in stone before he was not selected in the Bled squad and/or is that why he was not considered.
Hopefully RHP comes in for the next squad but I would prefer to see Higgers start at 6 with Hooper at 7 and Timani at 8 with McMahon on the bench, notwithstanding Maddogs performance on the weekend. He is off after this RC so we need plan B for the EOYT.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Higgers returned while undervalued, played at the Reds for peanuts apparently, no top up, and worked his way into the "Dad's Army" that was Reds 2017. I don't believe he was offered top up, squad position or much hope from WBS. Reds shifted after the return from the break and I don't think Higgers was offered much there either.

A bloke can see the writing on the wall.

T

TOCC

So, Higgers is in Japan? Was that already set in stone before he was not selected in the Bled squad and/or is that why he was not considered.
l.
McMahon is also signed to play in Japan, players like Fardy and Higgers are allowed to go early if they aren't wanted by the Wallabiea coach.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And it becomes a self-fulfilling excuse that they are already Overseas when the anointed one turns out to be somewhat short of what is required at test level. Cheika certainly leaves a lot to be desired in his squad selections.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And it becomes a self-fulfilling excuse that they are already Overseas when the anointed one turns out to be somewhat short of what is required at test level. Cheika certainly leaves a lot to be desired in his squad selections.

He has to make choices. Without the benefit of hindsight, either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sure, but we all said over the last 18 months that not selecting Fardy and forcing him off overseas was fucking stupid, and yet here we are.

He was never going to make it to the next RWC.

I don't think not dropping him last year when his form was average in the hope that he would delay going overseas for another year so he could potentially play a few more tests is really a great policy.

It seems pretty likely that at 33 years old Fardy would have probably gone overseas at this point regardless for a big payday to finish his career.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He was never going to make it to the next RWC.

I don't think not dropping him last year when his form was average in the hope that he would delay going overseas for another year so he could potentially play a few more tests is really a great policy.

It seems pretty likely that at 33 years old Fardy would have probably gone overseas at this point regardless for a big payday to finish his career.

I sort of agree but it also flies in the face of the old adage that you always pick the best team available for a test match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I sort of agree but it also flies in the face of the old adage that you always pick the best team available for a test match.

I would have picked him this year as well because he was the best 6 in Australia.

I wouldn't have picked him for a lot of last year because I don't think his form was there.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgers returned while undervalued, played at the Reds for peanuts apparently, no top up, and worked his way into the "Dad's Army" that was Reds 2017. I don't believe he was offered top up, squad position or much hope from WBS. Reds shifted after the return from the break and I don't think Higgers was offered much there either.

A bloke can see the writing on the wall.

Is he back at the Reds next year?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would have picked him this year as well because he was the best 6 in Australia.

I wouldn't have picked him for a lot of last year because I don't think his form was there.

BH, time to forget about last year (on which I disagree with you as you know), and for all of us to accept that Hanigan would have benefited greatly from having Fardy there this year as mentor. Surely a selection gamble that has misfired.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Still think Folau needs to shift from fullback, even a few times on the weekend when he should have kicked on a kick return he didn't and tried to run it back, he got caught behind the line and placed Australia under pressure. His ability under the highball and strength in contact is fantastic, let him use those skills from the wing.

So, from there you can either play Hunt, DHP or Beale at fullback, I like Beale at fullback, his overall skillsets offer the most.

So on that..

15 Beale

14 Folau

13 Kuridrani

12 Hunt

11 Speight/Naiavalu

10 Foley

9 Geni

Agree but would have DHP at the back because he offers a genuine exit option unlike anybody else in the backline. (And my views on the integrity of selection of Beale are well known and will not change)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Who would have thought that Beale showing he could defend would create selection headaches. If he can show it wasn't just a flash in the pan then I would prefer Hunt to 15 (defending there as well), Folau to 14 and Beale remaining at 12 because I think Foley attacks the line more when he knows he has Beale to distribute outside him. That being said when we beat England in 2015 WC Beale came on as a replacement on the wing, if I recall correctly, and combined well with Foley so the combination is not contingent upon Beale at 12. If Hunt comes back into the starting team, however, and defends in the line with Beale dropping back I would prefer he wear the 12 jersey and Beale the 15 to avoid the shuffle around in defence.

Can't see Foley being dropped by Cheika any time soon but ideally I'd like to see:

10 Beale
11 Naiavalu (offers more than Speight attack wise)
12 Hunt
13 Kurindrani
14 Folau
15 DHP/Hodge (tradeoff between a better running game from DHP vs Hodge's boot)

I think Beale has demonstrated he has the maturity to lead the backline and defensively this backline looks strong to me.

EDIT: realised that the team with Beale at 10 lacks a renowned goal kicker but Foley's performance on the weekend proved that there's not much point in carrying him just as a goal kicker so someone would have to practice kicking

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Beale to 10 is the dumbest idea since moving Mark Gerrard there.

FFS, we finally rolled out a backline that was good at attack and defence and people want to fuck with it?

The Darkness aren't as good as they are because they play selection bingo each week. They find the best TEAM, often leaving out particularly brilliant players for reasons other than form/skill, and then play them together over and over until they are a battle hardened unit that has group myth, collective purpose and well established combinations.

With Coleman back in, we have only two issues in the starting side: hooker and the backrow balance. The weekends backrow went well, but they'll need to pull that out every week for a while before I believe they're our best combination.

The whole TEAM, needs to now sit back and demand of each other that the weekends performance is now their benchmark. That should be what we're trying to put out each week, consistently, rather than once every few years.

Do that, and rugby will be alive again.