• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't see any changes other than Coleman coming back in with Simmons reverting to the bench.

Leave the backs the way they are, they looked pretty effective and we need to build some continuity

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think TPN will start

This sounds ridiculous considering he's a Wallaby (who, until very recently, was captain) but I think theres less risk if Moore starts.

I wouldn't want him coming on for the last 20-30 minutes of a test as he can be a bit of a liability, and until Latu / Ready return to prominence, we're at a stage where there are no other options.

Give him the first 30-50 minutes of a test match and then let TPN, the better player, come on and close out the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is definitely an important weekend for Latu. A good game for NSW Country Eagles and he must be a reasonable chance of rejoining the Wallaby squad.

Hopefully Jordan Uelese goes well. Cheika must be tempted to drop Moore.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Beale to 10 is the dumbest idea since moving Mark Gerrard there.

FFS, we finally rolled out a backline that was good at attack and defence and people want to fuck with it?

The Darkness aren't as good as they are because they play selection bingo each week. They find the best TEAM, often leaving out particularly brilliant players for reasons other than form/skill, and then play them together over and over until they are a battle hardened unit that has group myth, collective purpose and well established combinations.

Yes but the key reason the ABs don't play selection bingo is because they have enormous depth and the majority of their players are well rounded. Sopoanga, Cruden, Mo'unga would all walk into the Wallabies starting side at five-eight and are all well rounded flyhalfs. It's pointless to compare us to NZ in regards to selection because they don't have to compensate for players that, like Foley, are strong in some areas but glaringly deficient in others.

Of course we're not going to change the team after last week's performance but if Foley fails to return to 2014-15 form and his kicking both in general play and off the tee continues to let us down, however well everyone else may be playing around him we should look to replace him. At this point in time Australian rugby is bereft of a well-rounded 10 so selection bingo, as you call it, might have to be played because we're trying to fit together combinations to compensate for individual weaknesses.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That said, my morning commute takes me past Moore Park, and every second morning there are a group of 8-10 Waratahs players running drills. Tolu Latu, Paddy Ryan, Matt Sandell, Taqele are always there with a rotating cast of others.

But your point is nonetheless valid.

Additionally one of the comments of a few past coaches has been lots of training, bugger all playing from our players.

Best way to get better at rugby is playing rugby, less drills in August for games starting in February more playing games IMHO

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't really know where to put this but this game just got a whole lot more interesting:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...ians-side-to-play-the-wallabies-ng-b88593179z

The Wallabies vs. the Force-arians

Note: the Wallabies 23 has been taken from this weekend's test (minus Rona, for Hunt)

1. Kepu vs. Cowan
2. TPN vs. Scoble
3. Sio vs. Ainsley
4. Arnold vs. Tui
5. Coleman vs. Rodda
6. Hanigan vs. RHP
7. Hooper vs. Hardwick / Hodgson (!!!!)
8. McMahon vs. Naisarani
9. Genia vs. Ruru
10. Foley vs. Lance
11. Hodge vs. Veritty-Amm
12. Beale vs. Meakes
13. Kuridrani vs. Rona
14. Speight vs. Newsome
15. Folau vs. Hunt

That doesn't take into account the odd player from:

Peni, R. Arnold, Faulkner, Louwrens, Phillips.

Douglas, Smith, Slipper (if fit), Tupou, Mafi, Ready, Higginbotham, Cooper, Paia'aua, Perese, Nabuli

Timani, Koroibete, Naivalu, Lomax, Mafi, Maddocks,

Banks, Alcock.

Holloway, Latu, Phipps, Simone.

Or players from NZ / SA.

I'm now tremendously excited for this game. If Hodgson doesn't play it'll be a travesty.

D-Box

Cyril Towers (30)
Should make the uncapped player to be someone with out a Super Rugby cap and pull them from Perth Spirit

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Kane Douglas must be up there for the most disappointing player in Australia.

So much promise, exactly the yltype of player we need, and we've seen so little of it over the years.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Kane Douglas pre WC final injury is not the same player as Kane Douglas post WC final injury.

That can happen.

I really, really don't see what there is to be gained by bringing Moore back into the starting side besides a slightly more reliable lineout throw.