• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
10 is definitely the difference IMO. Maybe not even the position of the flyhalf, but one of the core kills of this role; Kicking. Am I right that Foley left 9 points out there? Everyone seems to call him the Ice-man but he misses a lot of kicks that aren't from the touchline and are very kickable. The AB's kicked all shots at goal on the weekend. Even the general play kicking still needs another level.

I get astounded that our kickers literally get paid to kick goals but still can't do it. If Foley isn't out there practicing every spare minute they have, I would be very disappointed. I have seen many many many kickers in schoolboy, colts and premier grade rugby kick these goals and granted there is some pressure, but if he can't handle it after 47 tests then he should not be kicking

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
It is one of Hoiles' regular whinges, earlier in the year he was talking about squaddies not being allowed to do club training and having their game time limited. Whereas I am old enough to remember players at my club playing a test on Saturday and turning out on Sunday for club

Well Scott Higginbotham decided he didn't want to play in the last 2 rounds of Premier Grade because he was 'going away for splendour'. He also didn't make the Wallabies squad and didn't partake in the semi-final. I fully agree with Hoiles

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2 out of 6 is clearly not an acceptable goal kicking result.

He has shown for a considerable period of time though that there isn't anyone else consistently better.

It's a substantial problem in Australian rugby that we don't have many high level goal kickers at all.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well Scott Higginbotham decided he didn't want to play in the last 2 rounds of Premier Grade because he was 'going away for splendour'. He also didn't make the Wallabies squad and didn't partake in the semi-final. I fully agree with Hoiles

So presumably that means he is not in the frame for test rugby for the rest off the year.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Fuck fair enough, he'd be barely able to smile or get out of bed after splendour, let alone play footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Question - what do we do with Karmichael Hunt now?

a) He starts at 13, and plays a Conrad Smith style link/defensive role
b) He starts at 12 and pushes Beale to the wing/fullback
c) He comes off the bench at some point.

I think it's probably C, as I'd like to see a bit of continuity in midfield and Beale and TK combined beautifully on the weekend. But it's an interesting conundrum.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Question - what do we do with Karmichael Hunt now?

a) He starts at 13, and plays a Conrad Smith style link/defensive role
b) He starts at 12 and pushes Beale to the wing/fullback
c) He comes off the bench at some point.

I think it's probably C, as I'd like to see a bit of continuity in midfield and Beale and TK combined beautifully on the weekend. But it's an interesting conundrum.
he starts at 15 and pushes Folau to the wing, and possibly swaps with Beale in the defensive line from scrums

T

TOCC

Still think Folau needs to shift from fullback, even a few times on the weekend when he should have kicked on a kick return he didn't and tried to run it back, he got caught behind the line and placed Australia under pressure. His ability under the highball and strength in contact is fantastic, let him use those skills from the wing.

So, from there you can either play Hunt, DHP or Beale at fullback, I like Beale at fullback, his overall skillsets offer the most.

So on that..
15 Beale
14 Folau
13 Kuridrani
12 Hunt
11 Speight/Naiavalu
10 Foley
9 Geni

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I keep thinking Hunt 12, Beale at 15 as well - but someone pointed out they actually where the opposite jerseys for their super rugby team.

Even with the reduction of position shuffling that happened on the weekend, jersey numbers are becoming less relevant. Cheika assigns roles in attack and defence which often don't align with the characteristics that we consider the jersey number reflects. Cheika could name Beale at 12, Folau at 15 & Hunt at 14, but still effectively deploy Folau at 14 and play the other two in either role.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I keep thinking Hunt 12, Beale at 15 as well - but someone pointed out they actually where the opposite jerseys for their super rugby team.

Even with the reduction of position shuffling that happened on the weekend, jersey numbers are becoming less relevant. Cheika assigns roles in attack and defence which often don't align with the characteristics that we consider the jersey number reflects. Cheika could name Beale at 12, Folau at 15 & Hunt at 14, but still effectively deploy Folau at 14 and play the other two in either role.

Beale defended really well and the lack of the shuffling allowed a stronger backline defensively and it makes me think that he can be really effective in that role.

Although it won't happen, I wouldn't mind Reece Hodge getting a go at 15 and for his assignment is to just kick the shit out of the ball at every opportunity.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I totally agree that Hodge should be in the mix. It is unfortunate that including him will see one of the now nearly-established backline drop out.

In relation to Hunt, I believe he will return via the bench, as he should do. There is no defense related reason after Bled2 to move Beale from 12, and I can't see Izzy playing anywhere but 15. However, if it proves that Bled2 was an aberration and that in fact the ABs' errors covered up some of the continuing defensive issues in the Wallabies' backline, then there will be good reason to include Hunt. The answer might be to start Beale at 10 and drop Foley to the bench, but I still can't see where Hodge would then fit in. I had previously thought 13, but TK showed again on the weekend just why he is needed there imo.

So, for SA in two weeks, I'd go:

Genia, Beale, DHP, Hodge, Kuridrani, Speight, Folau.

With Hunt back, and if there are defense problems to fix, I cannot fathom how the line up should look. Could be that two of Folau, Beale and Foley miss out, but Folau is still so safe under the high ball and dangerous running with ball in hand that it would be a big call to drop or move him from the 15 spot; Beale looks to have improved his tackling issues and if that is confirmed v SA would probably have a better claim than Foley to the 10 spot on his ability to set the backline attack alight; playing Hodge at 12 would probably mean Hunt into the 15 spot, but than one of DHP or Speight might have to be left out if Folau is to be accommodated on a wing.

Too many options and possible combinations. I hope the deciding factors are the ability to defend in their rightful positions and at the same time to provide a level of attacking threat to the opposition.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
We still missed 30 odd tackles. Beale has been our best back for the last 2 games, but Hunt was in the June series. He has taken some time to settle into rugby, but is our best backline defender and has a strong running, passing & kicking game. The sort of back we've been moaning about not having for ages.

He's a walk up start for mine.

But, out of interest, how is he actually going with injury recovery? Does anyone know if he is even an option?