• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
I bet though that Grey wouldn't have said "I have this great defensive system and all I need to implement it is a 10, 12, 13 and 15 who would all struggle to tackle an old woman using a zimmer frame. Oh and just to really mix it up give me a 6 who gets blown over in a strong breeze. Rock solid that bunch with my system."
Cheika selected a team to prioritize attack and basically said defense is irrelevant by selecting that team. Don't get me wrong Grey did an appalling job but he was distinctly hamstrung with the players Cheika gave him.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry, but WTF?

Do you really think there is never a meeting to talk over the selections and the assistant coaches never have an opportunity to have input? and basically Cheika just picks the team and tells them to work it out?

According to the media, that's pretty much exactly how it works.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
According to the media, that's pretty much exactly how it works.

I can't imagine any self respecting assistant coach actually working like that, I understand the final say goes to Cheika, but these guys have all worked essentially part time for him before going full time. They went in "aware"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The assistant coaches being aware that the Head Coach is a clown, does not mean that the HC is not a clown. Nor does it change the HC's responsibility.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I can't imagine any self respecting assistant coach actually working like that, I understand the final say goes to Cheika, but these guys have all worked essentially part time for him before going full time. They went in "aware"

You can't imagine a group of coaches who essentially owe their careers to Cheika, having been brought in with little prior top-flight coaching experience in every single case (with the exception of Byrne), struggling to impose themselves on selections?

That's funny, because I see the complete opposite.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Cheika selected a team to prioritize attack and basically said defense is irrelevant by selecting that team. Don't get me wrong Grey did an appalling job but he was distinctly hamstrung with the players Cheika gave him.

I'd add he said defense is irrelevant when he promoted grey to full time D assistant

EDIT: I mean really after the Tahs defence this year? Was grey hamstrung there too? Many he should get the all black assistant gig maybe there he wouldn't be hamstrung? Nah he could make them a colander too

T

TOCC

Sorry, but WTF?

Do you really think there is never a meeting to talk over the selections and the assistant coaches never have an opportunity to have input? and basically Cheika just picks the team and tells them to work it out?

Is it really that perplexing?
As opposed to the assistant coaches telling Cheika who they think should be selected, and Cheika the boss, just taking their comments as gospel despite performances which suggest he has every right to question them?

Cheika is the head coach, he has the final word.. like I said in the other post, it's his job to ensure all departments are working beneath him, if defence is failing then it's Cheikas overarching responsibility to ensure it's rectified.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Perhaps a few were, but there were certainly many others, myself included who said it was a defensive liability and shouldn't be used..if it was obvious to your casual armchair fan, it should have been obvious to grey and Cheika

Ditto me. I was quite adamant before the game that the Foley, Beale, Kerevi nexus would be a large part of our downfall, simply because as a unit they are very substandard defenders, and the convoluted actions required to cover for them was never going to work.

But, I see I am again hammering the weaknesses of certain players who are sacrosanct as far as Cheika and his many fans here are concerned.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sorry, but WTF?

I see no evidence to the contrary.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wow. More baffling selections this week. Is Timani carrying a niggle?

I would guess that a new coaching structure might be

HC - Larkham
Forwards - Fischer
D - Ryan
Attack - ?
Maybe Ledesma stays on as set piece. He has done a very good job for the most part.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Wow. More baffling selections this week. Is Timani carrying a niggle?

I would guess that a new coaching structure might be

HC - Larkham
Forwards - Fischer
D - Ryan
Attack - ?
Maybe Ledesma stays on as set piece. He has done a very good job for the most part.
I don't think Larkham is ready.
He may never be. He may. But not now, no.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think Larkham is ready.
He may never be. He may. But not now, no.

Maybe not, but he has been the most successful Super coach of late and I would guess that we will need one pretty soon.
He and Fischer have had a good partnership.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Larkham would need to improve significantly on what he's shown at Super Rugby level to succeed at test level, but who knows, maybe with the wider talent pool to select from, he might just do that. In any case, anyone bar Nathan Grey would be a better prospect right now than Cheika.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Larkham would need to improve significantly on what he's shown at Super Rugby level to succeed at test level, but who knows, maybe with the wider talent pool to select from, he might just do that. In any case, anyone bar Nathan Grey would be a better prospect right now than Cheika.
Brumby Runner endorses Richard Graham as wallabies coach

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk