• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Looking forward, the most critical areas of weakness for mine are 2, 8, 6, 9 & 10.

There are actually a good number of potential 9s coming through. Of the others, who are the players most likely -

2. Ulese, Latu, Mafi, Ready
8. Naisarani, ???
6. Hanigan, RHP, hopefully Timu
10. Mason, Stewart (plus the return of Lealiifano)

Who have I missed. I would like to see Sam Greene return to Australian rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Jono Lance at 10.
While he has somehow made the WB squad (too early) Korczyk at 6.
Yeah - I guess I was more looking at emerging talent, so I left off Lance. Unless we have some injuries I think he may have missed his window (although you never know).

Must admit that I have been surprised by Korcyzk's elevation to Wallaby squad member, but on that basis alone you're right that he is in the mix.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah - I guess I was more looking at emerging talent, so I left off Lance. Unless we have some injuries I think he may have missed his window (although you never know).

Must admit that I have been surprised by Korcyzk's elevation to Wallaby squad member, but on that basis alone you're right that he is in the mix.

Jono just has to be in the squad if we are doing this thing a bout "Quade, disappear and stop annoying me" thing. "Oh but if you perform at NRC I'll call you, don't call me". Just have to have Jono.

Korczyk shouldn't be inthe WB squad imo, but he definitely should be on the up'n'comer list. (Same deal for Hanigan.)

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Jono just has to be in the squad if we are doing this thing a bout "Quade, disappear and stop annoying me" thing. "Oh but if you perform at NRC I'll call you, don't call me". Just have to have Jono.

Korczyk shouldn't be inthe WB squad imo, but he definitely should be on the up'n'comer list. (Same deal for Hanigan.)
10 really is our biggest area of concern for mine and has the least certainty around future prospects. Both Mason & Stewart have genuine promise - but are a long way from proven super players, let alone obvious Wallaby contenders.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Looking forward, the most critical areas of weakness for mine are 2, 8, 6, 9 & 10.

There are actually a good number of potential 9s coming through. Of the others, who are the players most likely -

2. Ulese, Latu, Mafi, Ready
8. Naisarani, ???
6. Hanigan, RHP, hopefully Timu
10. Mason, Stewart (plus the return of Lealiifano)

Who have I missed. I would like to see Sam Greene return to Australian rugby.

I would add Cusack at 6. Has good national 7s experience, and has shown promise with the Brumbies and the Royals in Canberra. Strong tackler with a good turn of speed, and jumps in the lineout.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I believe the current Wallabies' squad was picked just for Bledisloes 1 and 2. Who would come into consideration for the next squad, and who might drop out of the present one?

I definitely would like to see Jonno Lance added, along with RHP. I suppose Hanigan has to remain as he's started the first two tests, but I would think Dempsey would be lucky to stay there.

Who was left out initially due injury and will most likely come back in?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
At Hanigan's age, I would think that his work load will be managed and he'll get a rest at some point.

I'd like to see RHP included too - but whether he is or not it appears Dempsey is considered next cab off the rank based on the naming of the bench for the last test.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Dempsey seems to be a bit of a golden boy.

He really needs an uninterrupted run in Super Rugby next year and to define himself as a particular position and own it. Happy to see players like this around a Wallaby squad for experience, but I don't think he's at the requisite level yet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see how Dempsey has made the cut - but I guess the reality is I've seen very little of him and his season was pretty injury interrupted.

I did note that at the start of the year he seemed quite highly rated by people who had seen him come up through the ranks.

If he does get a start, let's hope he takes his opportunity and makes the most of it.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Dempsey is a very good ball runner, and would have got first dibs at the Tahs 6 job this year but for injury. Having said that, Hanigan has a better work rate and is a genuine lineout option, and showed some impact as a runner at Super level, but hasn't been able to repeat that at test level.

Lance is an interesting one. He always looks pretty good to me, and was outstanding in the NRC, however he has now been with three Super teams and has yet to be able to nail down a permanent starting spot. I agree with others here, we are really struggling for depth at 10, not helped by our Super sides running around two Kiwis, a Saffa and a Fijian as 10's.

I would love to see RHP added to the squad, and would also like to see Latu back from injury, however as a guy who has always battled with fitness issues it may be a long shot to expect him to be in shape coming back from injury. I just think Moore, wonderful servant to Aus rugby as he's been, is past his 'use by' date, and TPN isn't 80 minutes these days.

Not totally convinced that Powell is test standard yet (likewise Gordon), would prefer to see Phipps as our back-up 9. He adds something at the back of a game which these young blokes aren't capable of yet.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I believe the current Wallabies' squad was picked just for Bledisloes 1 and 2. Who would come into consideration for the next squad, and who might drop out of the present one?

I definitely would like to see Jonno Lance added, along with RHP. I suppose Hanigan has to remain as he's started the first two tests, but I would think Dempsey would be lucky to stay there.

Who was left out initially due injury and will most likely come back in?

RHP has had a shoulder done I think

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hoiles made an interesting point about the attitude of our fringe players compared to their Kiwi compatriots.

Our's play crap in super rugby, finish and have a holiday. Most of the saders winning side, who didn't make the ABs, were playing for Canterbury the following weekend.

It is like they enjoy playing rugby or something

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Jermaine Ainsley will join the squad assuming he is now fit.

Sam Carter might come back in for Kane Douglas.

Lukhan Tui could get added if he is healthy.

Sefa Naivalu shouldn't be too far away and he'll be in the squad when he's healthy.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not totally convinced that Powell is test standard yet (likewise Gordon), would prefer to see Phipps as our back-up 9. He adds something at the back of a game which these young blokes aren't capable of yet.

Maybe not capable of yet, but impossible to say as they haven't been given an opportunity to show what they're capable of at test level.

However, looking at Super Rugby form this year, Gordon consistently outplayed Phipps and kept him on the bench or out of the 23 for periods during the year. Powell was the form Aus No 9 in Super Rugby all year. He has come on in leaps and bounds as he gained confidence and started to run the ball a bit more himself.

What we do know about Phipps is that nobody likes his passing game or his attitude on the field. Just as it's time for Uelese to get the bench spot over Moore, it is time for Powell/Gordon/Ruru/Louwrens to be brought into the Wallabies 23 at Phipps' expense imo.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hoiles made an interesting point about the attitude of our fringe players compared to their Kiwi compatriots.

Our's play crap in super rugby, finish and have a holiday. Most of the saders winning side, who didn't make the ABs, were playing for Canterbury the following weekend.

It is like they enjoy playing rugby or something

That said, my morning commute takes me past Moore Park, and every second morning there are a group of 8-10 Waratahs players running drills. Tolu Latu, Paddy Ryan, Matt Sandell, Taqele are always there with a rotating cast of others.

But your point is nonetheless valid.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That said, my morning commute takes me past Moore Park, and every second morning there are a group of 8-10 Waratahs players running drills. Tolu Latu, Paddy Ryan, Matt Sandell, Taqele are always there with a rotating cast of others.

But your point is nonetheless valid.

It is one of Hoiles' regular whinges, earlier in the year he was talking about squaddies not being allowed to do club training and having their game time limited. Whereas I am old enough to remember players at my club playing a test on Saturday and turning out on Sunday for club