• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
If Cheika thinks he can do without Fardy then he can do without Mcmahon. He is leaving asap. Get RHP in or Higs back. Someone who is staying. If staying is no longer a key criteria then why let Fardy go. Has more of what we need then Mcmahon with pocock not around.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That's a very hard wall you keep banging your noggin against UTR. While I do agree with the sentiment, I can see that there's nothing to be done about it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess that Pocock is pretty much a straight swap for McMahon. After the RC we will have to negotiate the EOYT with someone else backing up Hooper. I would not be at all surprised if more Force and Rebels players decide to try their luck offshore. They surely cannot have much faith in the ARU.
It is their job and they need to make sure they have a secure one.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Why is Hodge on the outer with everyone? He's had a relatively quiet year but he's hardly been blessed with talent around him in the Rebels backline.

With Hunt out I'd still like to see Beale at 15 with Hodge retaining the 12 jersey he earned last year.

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight or Naivalu
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Beale

It's not Hodge, it's Foley. Foley isn't creative enough to run big centres with no second playmaker. Hodge play making is nascent, not non-existent, but the combination is not ideal when we have Beale available.

Possible alternative is Hodge at 12 and Beale coming in from the back regularly as alternate playmaker. But is this team quality enough to deal with the disruption?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because he don't trust Cheika

Cheika has shown that he will pick him in pretty much every test he is healthy and Pocock isn't available... and some where he is available.

I don't know what reason he'd have not to trust Cheika. Cheika has clearly shown himself to be a fan of his play.

Injuries have been McMahon's biggest issue in the last couple of years. A fair chunk of his salary is dependent on playing for the Wallabies and if he can't stay fit he doesn't earn that.

Going to Japan locks that salary in regardless.

It seems like both he and his wife are keen to travel and spend some time living in another country.

Given how young McMahon is, even if he misses the 2019 RWC, he would be 29 at the 2023 RWC and theoretically in his prime.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Possible alternative is Hodge at 12 and Beale coming in from the back regularly as alternate playmaker. But is this team quality enough to deal with the disruption?
The only downside I see is that KB (Kurtley Beale) might be a bit if a risk under the high ball.
I subscribe to Cheikas theory that jumper numbers shouldn't restrict your role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only downside I see is that KB (Kurtley Beale) might be a bit if a risk under the high ball.
I subscribe to Cheikas theory that jumper numbers shouldn't restrict your role.

I'd say he'd probably be the second safest after Folau now.

Certainly better than Hodge and DHP.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika is a master (well was) of saying one thing then doing another.

Players have worked that out and heading overseas. The value of the Wallaby jersey (once a player has several) seems to have diminished somewhat. Add to that the thought that some players are given the jersey, cheaply and that further pisses players off.

It's a tough time being a Wallaby in current times and I doubt Chek is the bloke to turn it around (from where he has taken it)

Who else > NFI

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Players have worked that out and heading overseas. The value of the Wallaby jersey (once a player has several) seems to have diminished somewhat. Add to that the thought that some players are given the jersey, cheaply and that further pisses players off.

It's a tough time being a Wallaby in current times and I doubt Chek is the bloke to turn it around (from where he has taken it)

Who else > NFI

Rugby is a team game, from my observation Chek is more concerned about his rep and does not like anyone else taking the limelight, notice how Mick Byrne quickly disappeared. This imo is not conducive to a good team culture.
He makes a good S&C coach.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
From the blog back in the day.

Jaime Miller was right about all four of those problems, to be fair, but the amazing thing is Cheika managed to either fix (game plan and decision making) or mitigate (set piece and playmakers) those problems in less than half a season. That kind of turnaround is only possible under a good coach who can recognise a problem. Problems with him aside, I'm glad it's Cheika at the reigns at the moment.

And Braveheart is spot on, Cheika picks McMahon whenever he can, he clearly believes in the guy and it's surely more of an issue with ARU instability and the money offered by the Rebels.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)

Who else > NFI
You don't think players got cheap jerseys under previous coaches. Timani Tahu ring a bell. What about McKenzie giving one to Chris F Sautia.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's not Hodge, it's Foley. Foley isn't creative enough to run big centres with no second playmaker. Hodge play making is nascent, not non-existent, but the combination is not ideal when we have Beale available.

Foley will be the Wobs 10 for the foreseeable future, he ain't perfect but he is the best 10 we have. So it is not unreasonable to build a side around him that compliments his strengths and covers for his weaknesses

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who's suggesting the other 2 should play 15?

Fullback and wing both end up under the high ball a fair amount. DHP was targeted in June more than Folau (for obvious reasons).

Both DHP and Hodge are potential wing options (although I think Hodge is more likely to be on the bench and be a 12 option).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You could assume that whoever out of the two players spending most of the time at the back that isn't Folau will be targeted with the majority of the high balls.