• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

With the narrative around the launch of the Indigenous jersey and it featuring on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald, he's arguably become the most valuable asset Australian rugby has.

Perhaps, but marketing value shouldn't sway test selection...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So, to clarify, you base your judgement on the effectiveness, or not, of a team in attack, for a season, on the outcome of one game. And my original had nothing to do with the Tahs either.
So yes, I question the worth of your post, beyond a dig. But I admire your return of serve at being a pompous twerp. ;)

Ive never known quite what that emoticon means - ;);o_O?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't it 2017-18 and 2018-19? I'm unsure why he couldn't sign a 2019 Super Rugby contract and then be a chance of gaining selection.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Isn't it 2017-18 and 2018-19? I'm unsure why he couldn't sign a 2019 Super Rugby contract and then be a chance of gaining selection.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think he potentially could but it seems he wouldn't be able to play any of the lead up tests in 2019 and therefore would be unlikely to be selected. But he can if he needs to be. So he's taking that risk, in preference to a more certain selection pathway.

T

TOCC

I think he potentially could but it seems he wouldn't be able to play any of the lead up tests in 2019 and therefore would be unlikely to be selected. But he can if he needs to be. So he's taking that risk, in preference to a more certain selection pathway.

If he signed to return to Australia in 2019 he could play a Super Rugby season, June tests and a shortened Rugby Championship before the RWC. Other players have been selected with less time under their belt.

I suspect this claim he will be inelegible is a stance from the ARU to send a message to other players not to follow his lead.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
A two-year contract would leave him open to a 2019 Rugby World Cup return, though McMahon said that seemed unlikely at this stage, given he will play no part in Australian rugby in the lead-up
McMahon featured in the 2015 tournament, a star in the matches in which he played, scoring a hat-trick against Uruguay
“If I want to come back, it’ll be a decision I’ll have to come back at that time,” he said.
“There’s still a chance, maybe down the track I might change my mind (about 2019).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Told players not fit enough so Cheika flogs them as always done with WOBS and Tahs (when he was coach)..and people complain..cripes...

It's what I like about Cheika. Pity we have a number of very highly paid super coaches (who employ highly paid S&C coaches) who don't seem to have an appreciation of the levels of specific fitness required of professional rugby players.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'll just make it more obvious for those posters above who have all jumped in with absolutely nothing which validates this statement.
Is there another measure of attack effectiveness to besides points scored and tries scored that proves this point? This is the only question I asked. It seems a hard question as no-one seems able to answer it, rather just obfuscating with a bunch of parochial waffle.
No. Not one that is a available. But if you think that is the only way it can/should be measured, I shake my head. That is the kind of thinking that leads to teams aiming for maul tries and takes away attack diversity and fails to develop the skills that ultimately lead to variability in attack and more tries.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No. Not one that is a available. But if you think that is the only way it can/should be measured, I shake my head. That is the kind of thinking that leads to teams aiming for maul tries and takes away attack diversity and fails to develop the skills that ultimately lead to variability in attack and more tries.

Successful attack = points / tries. As far as I can see, that is it. Why is a try scored by an effective lineout, and a maul, less valid? Or building pressure and taking penalties? Of course the ideal is the ability to score through many modalities, and we all love to see sweeping backline play, and clever plays off set pieces, but to say that's worth more we're awarding points for style and artistic merit, and it isn't synchronised swimming. :D

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agreed. I don't think he is being selected on marketing value.

He doesn't have form in Super Rugby this year clearly but the rugby he has played in 2016-17 in the UK has been outstanding and I think that form and his experience justify his selection in what is team that has been struggling.

He had a good 10/12 combination with Foley at the Waratahs, indeed it could be argued that Foley is better at 10 when Beale is at 12. Still, that was 3 years ago and I'd like to have seen it in action before going into battle against the All Blacks.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Told players not fit enough so Cheika flogs them as always done with WOBS and Tahs (when he was coach)..and people complain..cripes...

Exactly!
All the arm chair coaches, moan & groan about fitness etc, then when they start working on it, it's deemed - not good enough, should've started earlier.

I'm sick of it.

You've all had your moan, you've said your piece, it's even been heard in Mr Quigley's case.

Now, it's time to be supporters and support.

Quit the moaning about the past, it can't change.

Time to work on the present & the future.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd prefer to see Beale as super sub, tearing through tired defence and generally causing havoc in broken play.

My memories of him playing are too giteauesque crab like to be our starting 12. But that may have changed.

Oh and defence wasn't up to scratch either.