• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The positives & failings from Bledisloe 1 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zeno

Your scrum was munched. They kicked seven bells out of it.

Typical scrum-fetishist's bullshit. The Wallabies scrum was fine; we got clean ball off our feed and didn't get pushed around on theirs. Our front row popped up once; theirs was penalised at least three times for botching the hit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Typical scrum-fetishist's bullshit. The Wallabies scrum was fine; we got clean ball off our feed and didn't get pushed around on theirs. Our front row popped up once; theirs was penalised at least three times for botching the hit.

The AB scrum was comfortable if not dominant on our own put-in. It seemed the problems were mostly on the Wallaby put-in when the ABs were assumedly trying to put some pressure on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The AB scrum was comfortable if not dominant on our own put-in. It seemed the problems were mostly on the Wallaby put-in when the ABs were assumedly trying to put some pressure on.

Maybe so, but as a Wallaby fan I regard clean ball on our feed as a scrum victory. I can never hope to push the ABs off the ball, but if they provide a solid platform for our backs I will be very happy, as I was on Saturday. With the scrum, not the rest of the game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe so, but as a Wallaby fan I regard clean ball on our feed as a scrum victory. I can never hope to push the ABs off the ball, but if they provide a solid platform for our backs I will be very happy, as I was on Saturday. With the scrum, not the rest of the game.

With the scrum woes of last year, I'd have to say I can't blame you.

You'd have to be worried though, if Maafu and Faainga end up in the front row togethre again.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Positives - Horwill, Ioane & the scrum. And QC (Quade Cooper)'s game... strange positive I know, but it may just calm him down a bit. I remember last year when he first started at flyhalf for the Wob's, he was calm, assured & only tried the flashy stuff when he was sure it was really on. He needs to go back to this & this weekend may have just been the lesson that was required.

Negatives - heads going down for periods, lacklustre defence, JOC (James O'Connor) kicking & your inability to do much with the bags of posession that you had.

However, your biggest positive is me. As I'm now starting to feel a little more confident that we may just be able to get our hands on Bill. And that is always the kiss of death.

MR prediction... AB''s to not face Wallabies again this year after Brisbane.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
At the moment we have Quade Cooper as our only realistic option at 10. That means whatever his strengths and weaknesses we don't really have any other choice than to stick with him. We know on his day he can take any opposition team apart, but he can also do some things that make you want to slap him.

We do have 4 other franchises than the Reds, though. None of their 10's from this year were near Cooper, but what about the future? Starting from next season we will be seeing some young guys getting starts or more time at 10 - To'omua, Stannard, JO'C and/or Beale at the Rebels. No doubt there are a couple of others as well. I am hopeful that by the Lions tour of 2013 we will have the luxury of options at 10, like the AB's have always had.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Are they going to SA? Serios question....TPN is vital for the Wallabies RWC I think.

No, they should be in NZ for the RWC though. (and maybe Robinson)

For SA? I don't rate their scrum as a scary unit, Maafu and Faainga will be adequate

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

For SA? I don't rate their scrum as a scary unit, Maafu and Faainga will be adequate

Ummm...Maafu, Faainga and Kepu/Alexander v any of these guys = trouble I reckon:

John Smit
Bismarck du Plessis
Tendai Mtawarira
Jannie du Plessis
Gurthrö Steenkamp
CJ van der Linde

But I'd suspect Maafu and Faaiga getting on the park at the same time will not happen until late in the game, if at all - barring injury.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ummm...Maafu, Faainga and Kepu/Alexander v any of these guys = trouble I reckon:

John Smit
Bismarck du Plessis
Tendai Mtawarira
Jannie du Plessis
Gurthrö Steenkamp
CJ van der Linde

But I'd suspect Maafu and Faaiga getting on the park at the same time will not happen until late in the game, if at all - barring injury.

From memory we played a similar front row (Mafu and Fainga'a) against the boks last year and we did okay. Our starting combination should be able to handle the Boks tight five quite well, probably even put some pressure on them on their own feed. If mafu and Fainga'a both come on that will make things more difficult. The Boks pack will be heavy so they will have the ability to put some pressure on a make-shift front row.

It was pretty clear that our scrum began to reverse when Moore went off the field on saturday. Good to hear that TPN and Slipper should be fit soon. Barring any injuries we should be surprising solid in the front row departmnet at the world cup. Even without fat cat (who i presume has just about given up on the world cup)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Not the Beast but if Steenkamp is fit again it's a different story. He'll make a mess if a Mafood / Finger combination.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Well, if you believe Bret Harris from The Autralian, the Wallabies are now in pole position to take out the 3N:

What a conflict of emotions to feel at once extremely disappointed and yet encouraged by the Wallabies' curious performance against the All Blacks in Auckland on Saturday night.

The All Blacks' 30-14 win was emphatic, catching the Australians on the hop with their high intensity and speed.

They suspected the Wallabies would attempt to play their trademark high-tempo, expansive style of game and anticipated their every move, spreading out in defence to snuff out the Australian attack.

Against any other team in the world, Australia would have scored two or three tries in the opening 20 minutes, but the All Blacks' scrambling defence held them out.

Coach Robbie Deans has criticised the team for not playing smart tactically, which is coach-speak for saying they veered away from the game plan.

Deans indicated that when they played more direct in the second half, they performed better.

The team needed to play direct from the outset of the game.

All the tight five has the ability to run with and handle the ball. When they used interchange passing in tight, they put the All Blacks on the back foot, creating space for the danger men out wide.

Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper apparently did not heed Deans' instructions to play direct until it was too late.

It was Cooper's first big lesson in discovering that Test rugby is a different game to Super Rugby, but he will benefit from the experience.

Cooper, who was predictable in his unpredictability, has been over-burdened with responsibility and the Wallabies need fullback Kurtley Beale and winger James O'Connor to fill in at first and second receiver occasionally to take the pressure off him.

The presence of Beale and O'Connor in the frontline would also provide them with much more variety in their attack.

But Cooper was only one of several players who were not at their best in certain areas.

Wallabies captain and blindside flanker Rocky Elsom missed several tackles that he would normally make, O'Connor missed three shots at penalty goals that he would usually knock over and openside flanker David Pocock was penalised for costly infringements at the breakdown.

As a team, the Wallabies' effort at the re-starts was simply abysmal.

Yet all of these problems are easily fixed and are unlikely to reoccur, certainly not all in the one game.

The All Blacks thoroughly deserved their win because they recognised opportunities and capitalised on them.

But it would not have taken a lot to halve the All Blacks' score and to double the Wallabies' tally.

If you subtract All Blacks winger Sitiveni Sivivatu's converted try, which was scored after number eight Kieran Read appeared to knock on, and add O'Connor's nine points from missed goals, the scoreline reads 23-all, yet one team played as well as it possibly could and the other was well below par.

While the Bledisloe Cup is lost for yet another year, the Wallabies are actually in pole position to reclaim the Tri Nations trophy.

That may sound loopy after such a disappointing defeat, but consider this:

The Wallabies will play a Springboks team that has many players returning from injury and lacking match fitness, at sea level in Durban, where the they broke an eight-year drought in South Africa in 2008.

The All Blacks, on the other hand, are sending a B team to South Africa to play the Springboks in Port Elizabeth the following week because of the physical demands of the return journey.

If the Wallabies beat the Springboks and the All Blacks lose in South Africa, Australia will be in a wonderful position to secure the silverware when they play New Zealand again in Brisbane.

A

antipodean

It was Cooper's first big lesson in discovering that Test rugby is a different game to Super Rugby, but he will benefit from the experience.
Is that his first test loss?

Cooper, who was predictable in his unpredictability, has been over-burdened with responsibility and the Wallabies need fullback Kurtley Beale and winger James O'Connor to fill in at first and second receiver occasionally to take the pressure off him.
That can only erode one's confidence. If Cooper is the best 1st 5/8 in the country, you don't want anyone else performing that role during a Test.

If you subtract All Blacks winger Sitiveni Sivivatu's converted try, which was scored after number eight Kieran Read appeared to knock on, and add O'Connor's nine points from missed goals, the scoreline reads 23-all, yet one team played as well as it possibly could and the other was well below par.
Specious ignorant shit. Ignoring the 'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle' fallacy, the Wallabies dominated possession and territory in the first half when the All Blacks went 17 points up. The All Blacks stuffed lineouts and were penalised at scrum time.

While the Bledisloe Cup is lost for yet another year, the Wallabies are actually in pole position to reclaim the Tri Nations

[...]

If the Wallabies beat the Springboks and the All Blacks lose in South Africa, Australia will be in a wonderful position to secure the silverware when they play New Zealand again in Brisbane.
By bonus point or points difference only.

A

antipodean

Correct. Clearly not reading in my rush to show Bret Harris knows fuckall about rugby. How embarrassment.

H

hannibal

All these calls for a centre with impact - how bout Higginbotham for centre!!! :)

On the serious side it was great to see a stable and even at times dominant Australian scrum. And if I start watching the game at the 40 min mark then I'm not so depressed. It was clear the Wallabies however were intimidated from the start. Quade stood deeper than usual and didnt attack the line but channeled Giteau and started crabbing and the whole team had zero kick chase and line speed as if they were scared of being ahead of each other and getting shown up. Changing just those things would have in my view created a very different outcome - slower All Blacks ball in the first half and a points tally more in line with posession (if the kicks had of gone over at least)!

So I keep coming back to leadership both at the coach and captain level. We need a captain who has real mongrel and who inspires mongrel in others. Rocky lacks this effect on others it seems. Maybe Horwill's the guy - I dont know. At least he has some track record with the Reds. On the coach side I've been a Deans supporter so far but now I've lost patience. I cant keep making excuses for the coach when the same things fall apart in the big games no matter who he selects to play. It has to come down at least in part to the way the team is being prepared and managed. Kicking, kick chase, Kick receipt, line speed and slowing opposition ball - these are always the areas where the Wallabies fail to execute in the big games.

On the plus side: scrum, lineouts, 2nd half breakdowns. Nice to see that list of positives come from the work of the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.