• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The positives & failings from Bledisloe 1 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
haha Brett Harris said everything i was thinking, but wouldn't dare say out loud for fear of sounding like a complete git.

J

jaydee

The big difference is at the collision in both defence and attack. In Defence the all blacks made more dominant tackles and therefore were able to take the space past the ball, by dropping the wallaby and themselves down into it and slowing the ball. In attack the all black ball runners were winning the contact contest and again taking the space past the ball ensuring momentum. It is only this that separates the teams IMO. Give Genia and Cooper the All Black forwards and see what the result may be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The big difference is at the collision in both defence and attack. In Defence the all blacks made more dominant tackles and therefore were able to take the space past the ball, by dropping the wallaby and themselves down into it and slowing the ball. In attack the all black ball runners were winning the contact contest and again taking the space past the ball ensuring momentum. It is only this that separates the teams IMO. Give Genia and Cooper the All Black forwards and see what the result may be.

Ian Jones said this last week - the ABs are trying to occupy the space beyond the ball,( in attack and in defence) and by doing that, they tend to be on the better side of the refs. They drive through in defence, and clean out more aggressively in attack. It's not rocket surgery!!
I think there is more that separates the teams, honestly.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Typical scrum-fetishist's bullshit. The Wallabies scrum was fine; we got clean ball off our feed and didn't get pushed around on theirs. Our front row popped up once; theirs was penalised at least three times for botching the hit.

Kepu popped at least once. Alexander at least three times. The entire front row at least once. You never once went forward. They did, every time. The penalties were 2-1, and wrong, because Joubert missed the bind. After all; why would a loosehead try to take it down when he goes forward each time it stays up?

That's not even holding par. I am a scrum fetishist. That means I know what's happening in there, and you got munched. Telling yourself you didn't is whistling past the graveyard.

And if you disagree, gives links to the scrums, and I'll take you through them and show how.

M

mackaboi

i really think we need a change in the centres, faingia should be given a go and i hope barnes comes back soon. Quade just had an off night however showed glimpses of good threatening play. i think mcalman should definately go just doesnt have impact and should be replaced by higgenbotham and samo should be given a chance also, even from the bench. Elsoms lucky to be captain cause he is one of the players who shouldnt be there at the moment. Besides that i think we did alright and i was quite impressed with the front row and i thought digby was very good

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kepu popped at least once. Alexander at least three times. The entire front row at least once. You never once went forward. They did, every time. The penalties were 2-1, and wrong, because Joubert missed the bind. After all; why would a loosehead try to take it down when he goes forward each time it stays up?

That's not even holding par. I am a scrum fetishist. That means I know what's happening in there, and you got munched. Telling yourself you didn't is whistling past the graveyard.

And if you disagree, gives links to the scrums, and I'll take you through them and show how.

I think I'm going to take Craig Joubert's opinion...

I also believe during the game he dismissed the 'bind' as the cause of Crockett's scrum troubles...

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
As long as Robbie keeps picking a guy who makes Ronan O'Gara look like Henry Honniball, you'll just have to grin and bear it.

That makes it ok to take him out illegally? I think the infamous Kiwi sense of entitlement has been roused again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Bollocks they went forward every time. A number of scrums went exactly nowhere. Even the Kiwis on the Fern conceded Crockett had a poor game. The Wallaby scrum didn't dominate, but for the most part neither was it munched. Their bench was much better, and they got clear ascendancy then, I will concede.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Cyclo; when the loosehead stands up the tighthead twice in the first half-hour, that looshead is getting munched. Moreover, he has no interest in taking it down from there.

They did a number on your scrum. They could have done more; that scrum five, for example. You did not get parity. You did not once drive them backwards. They drove you backwards time and again. I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this is coming from the Fox commentators who were proclaiming being driven back on the right as a right shoulder; it's wishful thinking. Remember, I don't have a dog in this fight; but I care about scrums, and they did you.

Franks, in particular, when he spat Kepu up out of the scrum; I have never seen a TH do that to a LH, and it was an astonishing and glorious thing to see.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

these are just the Crockett scrums from the first half and one in the second (as far as I got through the replay last night)

I look forward to your Irish blarney changing what I can see with my own eyes

[video=youtube;RiItKnuJ2gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiItKnuJ2gc[/video]

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclo; when the loosehead stands up the tighthead twice in the first half-hour, that looshead is getting munched. Moreover, he has no interest in taking it down from there.

They did a number on your scrum. They could have done more; that scrum five, for example. You did not get parity. You did not once drive them backwards. They drove you backwards time and again. I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this is coming from the Fox commentators who were proclaiming being driven back on the right as a right shoulder; it's wishful thinking.
No more wishful than you proclaiming your view as unassailably correct, despite others viewing the same scrums disagreeing with you, including Joubert. Funny thing, they could have done more. Why didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.