• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The positives & failings from Bledisloe 1 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

Digby loves that swerving step. Agree that an offload to Beale was the safer option. However, it is good to have a player who is so hungry to score tries.

Digby spotted that Mils was cheating on the pass. Sivivatu made an error in not forcing Beale to draw him before passing to Ioane, which meant he could stay in support and make it a 2 on 1 with Mils.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I certainly saw a lot of positives out of that game. Lets not forget that we never win at Eden Park. Some very good teams have gone there and been walloped over the years but the score board in this game doesn't really tell the tale.

The missed penalty kicks and the final NZ "try" (that really was a terrible call from the ref) was the 16 points difference.

Eden park is an intimidating place to play and I think some of our young players were very nervous early in the game.

I know a lot of people before the game were saying that 'if' the wallabies backs hit their straps we could win it. Well that really didn't happen tonight. The backs didn't deliver but we know they can. It just wasn't our night, but it never is at Eden Park.

Some good signs ahead of the world cup. The scrum looked solid (against one of the best packs in the world). Our front row were great around the field. The line-out was solid. And I thought Vicks and Higgers showed good impact off the bench.

I'm actually pretty confident we'll turn it around at Suncorp, a stadium where the wallabies rarely lose. And I think we have a good chance in SA next week if we can take our chances better. I think the bok players will be underdone. Also Samo to start in place of McCalman. We need more impact from our number 8.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I definitely agree that things aren't catastrophic, but winning at places like Eden Park should be boxes that we tick in the lead up. After all, there is an outside chance that we could face the AB's there in a final. At the moment we'd be lucky to make the semi's, but the possibility still exists.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Despite the All Blacks general game dominance, some slightly hopeful facts from last nights game are:
- We won the second half 14-13
- They scored 3 tries to 2, no bonus point
- JOC (James O'Connor) had an off night with his boot. If he'd brought them, it would have been 30-23
- All Blacks got the bounce of the ball. A lot of refs would have called their final try back for a knock on
- Our scrum was not the liability that was expected

So, of course there are lots of ifs, and could have beens in this post. But there's enough from last night's game to keep our chins up about.

J

Jay

The missed penalty kicks and the final NZ "try" (that really was a terrible call from the ref) was the 16 points difference.

It really wasn't that bad a call. I've watched the slow mo of that about 10-15 times and I still can't tell if Read definitely touches the ball. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes up for the ball and gets two hands to it then Read comes through with his forearm basically knocking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s arms out of the way. It's possible that Read does get one hand on the ball while this is happening, but it's not definite. First and last contact on the ball is definitely from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and any touch from Read, if there is one, is minimal so the call isn't surprising in the slightest.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Despite the All Blacks general game dominance, some slightly hopeful facts from last nights game are:
- We won the second half 14-13
- They scored 3 tries to 2, no bonus point
- JOC (James O'Connor) had an off night with his boot. If he'd brought them, it would have been 30-23
- All Blacks got the bounce of the ball. A lot of refs would have called their final try back for a knock on
- Our scrum was not the liability that was expected

So, of course there are lots of ifs, and could have beens in this post. But there's enough from last night's game to keep our chins up about.

This is always a funny one. Just because you had 3 shots at goal, doesn't mean you left 9 points on the park. If JOC (James O'Connor) had hit the first one then the whole game changes meaning that the second two shots at goal may never have eventuated. It's a nice thought though when you're looking for positives.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Just watched the first 5 minutes of the match again before being called to get the kids out of the tub. The boys were doing very nicely and it was a solid start. The rot started with Coopers pass that was intercepted and the ensuing phase play result in points for the ABs. Not sure if anyone else caught this, but the break made by Piri Weepu down the blindside around the 7th minute that resulted in some point was created by foul play. Take a look at the breakdown directly before Weepus run - Cooper is standing on the blind, beside/behind the ruck (not committed and not in any contact with it but he is completely taken out of play by a loose black fwd. He then held on the ground while Weepu darts up the blindside while Cooper struggle to get up. Blatant professional foul and I can't believe the touchie missed it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At least he annoyed McCaw. McCaw had to resort to bitch-slapping him.
Which is all very well, if it actually put McCaw off his game in any way. But it doesn't, he is too good for that. And when you have a game like Cooper, going for cheap shots /niggle is really the last thing you should be doing. If we had really played well, and we were 15 up, then getting into McCaw's head might be worth a shot, but I'd still doubt it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What about Horwill at 6? I know it will never happen unless Rocky has a long term injury, and even then it's unlikely, but with Vickerman, Sharpe and Horwill on the park the pack would be a great deal grittier.

You could also afford to have Higginbotham playing wider.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
What about Horwill at 6? I know it will never happen unless Rocky has a long term injury, and even then it's unlikely, but with Vickerman, Sharpe and Horwill on the park the pack would be a great deal grittier.

Sounds good. Retaining Rocky really does hold the team back.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
This is always a funny one. Just because you had 3 shots at goal, doesn't mean you left 9 points on the park. If JOC (James O'Connor) had hit the first one then the whole game changes meaning that the second two shots at goal may never have eventuated. It's a nice thought though when you're looking for positives.

True, it could just as easily have meant the entire momentum of the game.

In fact, maybe the momentum changer of the match can be traced back to when Quade Cooper decided to eat 5 instead of 4 weetbix that morning, making him kick the ball slightly too hard in our attacking raid, which made it just too hard for Digby Ioane to pick up and score in the left corner, silencing the Eden Park crowd and making the All Blacks fears of chocking return to the fore and resulting in a 47-7 win to the Wallabies.

Let's not be pedants here.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
At least he annoyed McCaw. McCaw had to resort to bitch-slapping him.

I take very little satisfaction from that episode. McCaw kept his focus, had another great game in which he overshadowed Pocock and led NZ to their 11th win in 12 against the Wallabies, while Cooper has his worst game in some time in a Wallaby shirt. I'd like Cooper to spend less time slapping McCaw next time the meet.

T

TOCC

I think the issue is, with such a small statured backline we need the mobility in the backrow to secure the ball at rucks when the backs get tackled

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
True, it could just as easily have meant the entire momentum of the game.

In fact, maybe the momentum changer of the match can be traced back to when Quade Cooper decided to eat 5 instead of 4 weetbix that morning, making him kick the ball slightly too hard in our attacking raid, which made it just too hard for Digby Ioane to pick up and score in the left corner, silencing the Eden Park crowd and making the All Blacks fears of chocking return to the fore and resulting in a 47-7 win to the Wallabies.

Let's not be pedants here.

It's not about being pedantic. But for people to say that if JOC (James O'Connor) had kicked those 3 goals then the score would have been closer simply isn't true necessarily. In fact, if he had kicked the first, maybe the Wallabies would have won.

It's not pedantic to say that something simply isn't true.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I take very little satisfaction from that episode. McCaw kept his focus, had another great game in which he overshadowed Pocock and led NZ to their 11th win in 12 against the Wallabies, while Cooper has his worst game in some time in a Wallaby shirt. I'd like Cooper to spend less time slapping McCaw next time the meet.

I completely agree. My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. It seems they really do hate each other.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
While I struggle to take a lot of positives out of the game, there certainly were a few -- particularly the set piece.

I'm hoping that this SA leg is the last bit of "experimentation" we see and that Deans plays an absolute best possible side for Suncorp.

On Elsom -- he's going to be the captain, like it or not, so personally I'm hoping he plays every possible minute to work himself back into form. Why he is untouchable is beyond me (maybe it's too expensive to change the stationery?) but that's the way it is so let's just cross our fingers and toes.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure if anyone else caught this, but the break made by Piri Weepu down the blindside around the 7th minute that resulted in some point was created by foul play. Take a look at the breakdown directly before Weepus run - Cooper is standing on the blind, beside/behind the ruck (not committed and not in any contact with it but he is completely taken out of play by a loose black fwd. He then held on the ground while Weepu darts up the blindside while Cooper struggle to get up. Blatant professional foul and I can't believe the touchie missed it.

This is up on the blog now for all to see. Ali Williams should have been carded for this. I wonder will we get an apology from Paddy O'Brien for this oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.