• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The positives & failings from Bledisloe 1 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

We won the second half 14-13.

The team did enough to earn 9 points in the first half but James O'Connor went away from his routine and missed all 3 kicks.

The Read try was a shameful referee blunder.

Except for these non-team related errors we were nuts deep into that game. I think the Wallabies would absolutely "love" another crack at them.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
We can't win a world cup without a goal kicker.Even if we had Serge Blanco at fullback & Rupeni on the wing, you still need to win a tight game where you rely on your kicker in at least one game to get to the end.

FM, so right. The fragilities in our place kicking stocks have been absolutely evident for at least 24 months, and, whilst JO'C was promising in late 2010 and this year, his error rate at Twickenham under pressure indicated that he'd need sound coaching and guidance at Test level, and that we should prepare at least 2 other Test kickers for the RWC. He's also young and needs time to develop his 'kicking when it counts in big, close Tests' stability and composure (not dissimilarly with Cooper, btw).

This is all why a number of us advocated a full-time, Australia-based kicking coach from say May-June of this year to work intensely in Australia with the core group of Wallaby kickers. Instead, we persisted with Bram van S who performs his trade via Skype video links, and brief fly-in, fly-out visits here. I said at the time that, in a RWC year, I didn't think that would work optimally and I still don't.

JO'C's row of consistent misses last night cannot have aided Wallaby morale - to have QC (Quade Cooper) take over midstream was yet another symptom of a game in collapse for the Wallabies.

Poor - or brilliant - place kicking can lose or win a side a RWC.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
We won the second half 14-13.

The team did enough to earn 9 points in the first half but James O'Connor went away from his routine and missed all 3 kicks.

The Read try was a shameful referee blunder.

Except for these non-team related errors we were nuts deep into that game. I think the Wallabies would absolutely "love" another crack at them.

How about the first half? The game was lost by half-time. Keep deluding yourself.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Have we got a few more Horwills out there somewhere? His aggression and leadership is what we lack. Alexander and Moore were good and Kepu not too bad, but who else is there? Sharpe is a good ball runner but soft in tight. Elsom is unfit, past it, McCalman might be good at belting midgets at club rugby but that is it, and Pocock had a quiet night for the second time in too tests. Horwill seems to aim up every game.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Should probably do this after a second viewing but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

I didn't feel as bad after that loss as I have after many, many losses over the years. I think that's simply to do with how well the ABs played...

We were outmuscled on a number of occasions and had no way to slow their ball down in any meaningful sense (two of our biggest problems IMO). I also think the ABs would have put at least 50 on any other team with that performance.

The backs obviously struggled and while they got across the field and back through the hands a number of times, the ABs were always ready for it and ran us into touch very well.

Similar to the Boks game, I thought Joubert was all over Pocock and he really couldn't stamp the game as I'd like to see. Elsom and McCalman offered nothing in the breakdown. Horwill was good and I thought Vickerman had a good stint off the bench - no-one else hits a ruck like him.

As for Cooper, he had a shocker. Some of the shit he does baffles me (good and bad, but last night was all the latter) and I know some people have been very protective of his performance but Dan Carter showed why he is by far the best 10 in the world. I don't buy that we have to take the good with the bad with Cooper. His game revolves around taking risks but that doesn't mean he can't be more judicious in his decision-making.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
...Conversely if the loose trios swapped I guarantee the score would have been different (if not the whole result). Read is worth 2 mccalmans and kaino 1.5 Elsoms. We may have to look into something drastic like moving horwill to 6 to improve our impact in this area - won't help with speed in the loosies but could help in tight gaining those crucial few meters. Horwill is no less mobile than the likes of finnegan or cockbain.

Scotty, there's much in what you say. The Wallaby back row last night was recklessly poor overall. It will be heresy to some, but I worry over Pocock, there is something less intense and concentrated about his 2011 play (vs 2010) that concerns me and, if it continues, will significantly detract from the Wallabies - I note that his name appears in few Wallaby player rankings on this site today.

The BC is gone, and likely the 3N too. Bold experimentation in SA is properly called for. Building upon your idea, let's fly Vicks to SA, he and Sharpie as locks, Horwill at 6, Higgers at 8 (Samo off the bench after 50 say), Beau R flown over and at 7 (Pocock to come on after 50), Horwill captains and Elsom is 'rested' for the SA match (perhaps to give him time to write further anecdotes and recollections for the next edition of Bret Harris' biography re him). Certainly, the foregoing configuration will produce superior results to that on display in Auckland.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Scotty, there's much in what you say. The Wallaby back row last night was recklessly poor overall. It will be heresy to some, but I worry over Pocock, there is something less intense and concentrated about his 2011 play (vs 2010) that concerns me and, if it continues, will significantly detract from the Wallabies - I note that his name appears in few Wallaby player rankings on this site today.

The BC is gone, and likely the 3N too. Bold experimentation in SA is properly called for. Building upon your idea, let's fly Vicks to SA, he and Sharpie as locks, Horwill at 6, Higgers at 8 (Samo off the bench after 50 say), Beau R flown over and at 7 (Pocock to come on after 50), Horwill captains and Elsom is 'rested' for the SA match (perhaps to give him time to write further anecdotes and recollections for the next edition of Bret Harris' biography re him). Certainly, the foregoing configuration will produce superior results to that on display in Auckland.

I like some of this but I would still try to find someone else for Sharpe. But there probably isn't anyone unless you stick with Simmons. Any concerns about how the Reds went with Horwill at 6?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Like this except i think Pocock should be retained, Robinson on the bench. Also think Simmons is better in the start and Sharpe off the bench for his ball carrying and experience. Certainly is a much more physical back 5.

N

Newter

Should probably do this after a second viewing but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

I didn't feel as bad after that loss as I have after many, many losses over the years. I think that's simply to do with how well the ABs played...

We were outmuscled on a number of occasions and had no way to slow their ball down in any meaningful sense (two of our biggest problems IMO). I also think the ABs would have put at least 50 on any other team with that performance.

The backs obviously struggled and while they got across the field and back through the hands a number of times, the ABs were always ready for it and ran us into touch very well.

Similar to the Boks game, I thought Joubert was all over Pocock and he really couldn't stamp the game as I'd like to see. Elsom and McCalman offered nothing in the breakdown. Horwill was good and I thought Vickerman had a good stint off the bench - no-one else hits a ruck like him.

As for Cooper, he had a shocker. Some of the shit he does baffles me (good and bad, but last night was all the latter) and I know some people have been very protective of his performance but Dan Carter showed why he is by far the best 10 in the world. I don't buy that we have to take the good with the bad with Cooper. His game revolves around taking risks but that doesn't mean he can't be more judicious in his decision-making.

Elsom and McCalman offered a lot at the breakdown, where we actually presented a lot of good ball for Quade. It was one of the big improvements from our last Test.

Out of interest, why do you say Quade had a shocker? What did he do wrong?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Question for Ruckinggoodstats. Were O'Connor's misses in his weak spot?

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Elsom and McCalman offered a lot at the breakdown, where we actually presented a lot of good ball for Quade. It was one of the big improvements from our last Test.

Bad decision making and poor skill execution. Having said that, many of the Wallabies did the same.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)

-A midfield bomb that gifted the All Blacks the ball.

-A flick pass to O'Connor that nearly let in a try.

-A pass to Beale that was intercepted by Conrad Smith.

-Poor decision making in attack and defence.

What else?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
early on there was a ruck that richie was stuck in and quade was ont he wrong side of, not sure what he did exactly but he looked like he slapped mccaw, so so stupid, but probably one of the greatest wallabies highlights of the night.

not to dwell on it cos he scored it, but what was with digby not using beale when he made that break, draw and pass would have been the smart thing wouldnt it, the step worked but is was by far the riskier play.

J

Jay

At least he annoyed McCaw. McCaw had to resort to bitch-slapping him.

That was a pretty funny exchange. I noticed that Quade stood up afterwards, probably quite pleased that he seemed to have Richie rattled only to be shoved over onto his face by Piri Weepu!

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
That was a pretty funny exchange. I noticed that Quade stood up afterwards, probably quite pleased that he seemed to have Richie rattled only to be shoved over onto his face by Piri Weepu!

Weepu performed much better than I expected. Was better than Genia, I thought.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Digby loves that swerving step. Agree that an offload to Beale was the safer option. However, it is good to have a player who is so hungry to score tries.

i dont think there is a problem with any team members want to score trys, its there reluctance to do any of the gritty stuff to get into that position except people like digby, the rest of the team needs to follow.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
early on there was a ruck that richie was stuck in and quade was ont he wrong side of, not sure what he did exactly but he looked like he slapped mccaw, so so stupid, but probably one of the greatest wallabies highlights of the night.

not to dwell on it cos he scored it, but what was with digby not using beale when he made that break, draw and pass would have been the smart thing wouldnt it, the step worked but is was by far the riskier play.

I reckon it's exactly what you want from a winger. The nuts to back himself and score.

J

Jay

Weepu performed much better than I expected. Was better than Genia, I thought.

In the first half, I thought Weepu shaded it but he faded badly in the second (fitness still not quite there) whereas I thought Genia improved in the second. I'd give Genia the edge overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.