• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Elsom Saga - Clubs withdrawing offers is all the rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There doesn't appear to be much confidence in him making it back in any sort of decent physical shape.
While JON and Deans are harping on about there being no question as to who will captain the Wallabies at the RWC, I think they are full of it.
Of course there are huge question marks over him having played only one Super game all year, getting injured and playing on for 20 minutes with obvious pain.
Rocky was a very good test backrower before going to Leinster. He became, according to some, a great player whilst there which I concur with by the way.
But he has shown little of that form since returning to Australia and taking over the captaincy of the Wallabies.
It could be that Deans will try and nurse him through the RWC, much in the same way the Boks have done with Matfield at various times in the last few years. There are some other pretty handy backrow options for the Wallabies right now and surely it is not worth trying to carry any player if we have serious aspirations of winning the RWC.

Deans surely has a plan B and C but he cannot say so right now.
If none of the Australian Super sides are willing to pick him up then the decision has been made for Deans.

I

International Badboy

Just out of curiosity, who is Elsoms succesor as captain, and if they are not ready yet who becomes the immeadiate stand in captain?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure if it has been floated but could the salary cap thing be a deterrent for Rocky. I'm assuming his pay grade would be quite high.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

I don't mean it be a criticism.
Let's face it, Victor has some days that are better than others and his body has taken quite a beating over the years.
I have read many times about him not having to train before a match just so he could front.
And front he always does.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wonder if Waugh's retirement may free up some cash for the Tahs to get Elsom. Also if there was the rumoured feud between Phil and Rocky then this decision may change a few things.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You'd have to believe that a franchise somewhere would have a spot for the Wallaby captain. We've never encountered this kind of situation before, where such a senior player is unable to find a home for next year.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm guessing he is alluding to a growing culture of players, who think their brand is bigger then the team?

Melbourne may become an option for Elsom, who is understood not to be interested in moving to Perth.

Ha ha, If I had Pocock, McCalman, Hodgson and Brown to compete with for a backrow spot, I might not be too interested in moving to Perth either.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't mean it be a criticism.
Let's face it, Victor has some days that are better than others and his body has taken quite a beating over the years.
I have read many times about him not having to train before a match just so he could front.
And front he always does.

That's true. Difference is that Matfield seems to get onto the park. For such a long career he has missed very few games.

For Elsom it's been big injuries for two years.

Question: does anyone know if he played through injury at Leinster and thsi is now the fallout from that?

D

daz

You'd have to think there is a common denominator here with all these teams 'withdrawing' their offers etc.
And it's not the team, not that you'd hear a public comment about this.

It has to be about value for money. Rocky would be asking a top shelf price, but the return on investment (in a business sense anyway) would probably not be at the level a club would expect or demand, given Rocky's injuries and lack of game time over the last 2 seasons.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
It has to be about value for money. Rocky would be asking a top shelf price, but the return on investment (in a business sense anyway) would probably not be at the level a club would expect or demand, given Rocky's injuries and lack of game time over the last 2 seasons.

The question of money is only a small factor as Elsom's salary will be largely covered by the ARU, which he has come to terms with. The issue with the franchise teams and their decision whether to pick up Elsom is about what his contribution will be to the culture of the team.

D

daz

The question of money is only a small factor as Elsom's salary will be largely covered by the ARU, which he has come to terms with. The issue with the franchise teams and their decision whether to pick up Elsom is about what his contribution will be to the culture of the team.

Fair point about the ARU covering a big chunk of his wage.

However, I would like you to expand on your last point; the inference is that Rocky would not "fit" in with some clubs culture. Are you saying that the highest ranked, national leader of his sport would be a culture liability?

I'm not having a go, but I am curious to know if this is a valid concern....

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
The was a rumour sending Rocky Elsom to Stade Français.
But with the closing of the transfer window, Paris had only the opportunity to hire two more players.
And today they have announced the transfers of Anton Van Zyl and Gerhard Mostert.
So I don't believe Rocky will move to Paris.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Daz that has been implied and said outright quite a few times. It was also discussed at length regarding the axing of Friend a few months ago now. I have said outright I truly hope the Tahs do not sign him. I also have said Since the initial don't come monday from the Brumbies that the Tahs were his only real chance with my reasoning, this has since been proven to be the case. I fully expect the ARU to be "talking" to the Tahs and we will see a signing in the next few days, conviniently after the retirement of Waugh, who the ARU did not want in any fashion.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's true. Difference is that Matfield seems to get onto the park. For such a long career he has missed very few games.

For Elsom it's been big injuries for two years.

Question: does anyone know if he played through injury at Leinster and thsi is now the fallout from that?

To be fair, Elson played every minute of every test last year. He does get on the park. Obviously he was carrying an injury though.

Status
Not open for further replies.