• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Elsom Saga - Clubs withdrawing offers is all the rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't want him because I don't think we need him. Retaining what we have has to be the priority. Given the diversity of some of our more experienced forwards I see no rerquirement for him. We don't have a blindside flanker shortage, that's for sure.

If he has an ARU contract but not a super rugby franchise contract, the ARU have done it back to front in my view.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a very sad thread! To say that Elsom could have done something about the sacking of Friend is unfathomable! He is not the clubs captain and holds no position of authority at the Brumbies. Certainly he is the current Wallaby captain but last time I looked the ARU didn't decide who was Brumbies coach or could tell the Board what they should do. To insinuate that Elsom had something to do with Friends sacking with out a shred of evidence from the anonymity of this forum is truly sad. And reflects much more poorly on the attackers than the man himself. Who has never publicly commented on his sacking.
Personally he was never my choice for Wallaby captain. But that's the point it wasn't my choice. And without knowing the players personally and seeing them in all types of situations how could we ever make an informed decision on such matters. If Elsom somehow ends up at the Reds I for one would welcome him. I hope supporters of every franchise would feel the same.

Well, it would've been hard for him to do something to stop the sacking of Friend as he was the one who instigated the sacking...

Unless he has split personality disorder?

Which is possible... Brumby Rocky and Leinster Rocky were two different Rockys...

D

daz

Well, it would've been hard for him to do something to stop the sacking of Friend as he was the one who instigated the sacking...

I think the point Sully is making (hope I'm not putting words into your mouth Sully) is how do you know Rocky got Friend sacked?

If you or anyone has proof, share it. If this is just supposition and slander, this thread really needs to close.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, it's true we can't supply any published quotes from any parties involved, but it's 'hardly a secret around Canberra...

I wonder if BJ will shed anymore, as he alluded very early on post-sacking that Elsom had a large role in all of this...

Call me Slim "Grumbles" 293, but I was informed by a high ranking ACTRU official that Friend put a mighty dent in the fragile ego of a certain injured Wallabies captain...

I should totally write the R&M every Friday...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the point Sully is making (hope I'm not putting words into your mouth Sully) is how do you know Rocky got Friend sacked?

If you or anyone has proof, share it. If this is just supposition and slander, this thread really needs to close.
I found it interesting that Rocky announced a month or so ago that he was fit & hoping to be selected to play that weekend.
I took that to mean that he was putting pressure on Rea to select him....
But Rea never did, for the rest of the season.
I don't think it is that big a leap to suggest Rea was getting square with Rocky over Friend.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think the quote from Vern Reid was that JOC (James O'Connor) wanted two international outside backs to play outside him at the Force, so unless we're having a Spiro moment I don't think Rocky would've been in that list.

I also don't know how the Rebels would afford him either? $2 base salary and some nice top-ups?

Ah, but the way Elsom has been sea gulling in the backs for the Wallabies, he probably does qualify as an international back.

U

Utility Back

I found it interesting that Rocky announced a month or so ago that he was fit & hoping to be selected to play that weekend.
I took that to mean that he was putting pressure on Rea to select him....
But Rea never did, for the rest of the season.
I don't think it is that big a leap to suggest Rea was getting square with Rocky over Friend.

In think rockys been injured with a high ankle sprain?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeh he got selected and was injured first game. Same injury James Slipper picked up.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Let me get this straight.

Elsom asks the Waratahs to release him from his contract so he can go to Europe to earn the big coin. Waratahs and ARU agree to help him out in his problem.

Elsom storms through his time in Ireland without any injury problems, then returns home, snubs the Waratahs to join the "Real Madrid of Rugby", however all is not quite what it seems. He is carrying a serious long term leg injury and proceeds to sit out most of the first season and 98% of the second season at the Brumbies.

However, whilst not putting in on the field he finds the time and gumption to make a surly pest of himself, sniping at the coach and other players, undermining the team as a whole until the coach is sacked. All this whilst making plans to leave this club anyway - nice!!!

Is this correct ???? Because from what I have been told by those in Brumbyland this pretty well sums it up. And still we wonder why there is no team breaking down the door to sign him. The coaches all know and don't need a problem child.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, it's true we can't supply any published quotes from any parties involved, but it's 'hardly a secret around Canberra...

I wonder if BJ will shed anymore, as he alluded very early on post-sacking that Elsom had a large role in all of this...

Call me Slim "Grumbles" 293, but I was informed by a high ranking ACTRU official that Friend put a mighty dent in the fragile ego of a certain injured Wallabies captain...

I should totally write the R&M every Friday...

If I read this in the Herald this week I'm going to shit myself laughing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let me get this straight.

Elsom asks the Waratahs to release him from his contract so he can go to Europe to earn the big coin. Waratahs and ARU agree to help him out in his problem.

Elsom storms through his time in Ireland without any injury problems, then returns home, snubs the Waratahs to join the "Real Madrid of Rugby", however all is not quite what it seems. He is carrying a serious long term leg injury and proceeds to sit out most of the first season and 98% of the second season at the Brumbies.

However, whilst not putting in on the field he finds the time and gumption to make a surly pest of himself, sniping at the coach and other players, undermining the team as a whole until the coach is sacked. All this whilst making plans to leave this club anyway - nice!!!

Is this correct ???? Because from what I have been told by those in Brumbyland this pretty well sums it up. And still we wonder why there is no team breaking down the door to sign him. The coaches all know and don't need a problem child.

Rocky only missed one game for the Brumbies last year...

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Dont know about the rest of you, but I'm lovin' this thread. I find it highly informative.

It seems that there are several posters who claim some knowledge of Brumbie back room dealings and each of them asserts without equivocation that Elsom had a significant role in Friend's sacking.

The lack of interest in signing arguably one of the best backrow forwards in the game adds support to those to claim that Elsom now has a reputation that is going to be tough for the management teams of Aussie franchises to overcome.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The lack of interest in signing arguably one of the best backrow forwards in the game adds support to those to claim that Elsom now has a reputation that is going to be tough for the management teams of Aussie franchises to overcome.

Or that he wants more money than is available at most franchises. Force don't need him, he's not going back to the Brumbies, the Reds have Higgers, Samo, Beau and Gill. That leaves the Tahs and Rebels. I reckon we see him sign with one of them.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Not discounting that securing a good return on such a considerable investment weighs quite heavily in a consideration to sign any player (which the Brumbies didn't get), but there seem to be a lot of whispers circulating among people who claim to have more knowledge than you or I of the goings-on in Brumbie-land. If Growler inserted a few lines in a column, it would be no more credible in my opinion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dont know about the rest of you, but I'm lovin' this thread. I find it highly informative.

It seems that there are several posters who claim some knowledge of Brumbie back room dealings and each of them asserts without equivocation that Elsom had a significant role in Friend's sacking.

I'm one of those with the supposed 'inside knowledge', but I also rate Elsom as the best 6 in the country...

I would love to see him stay at the Brumbies, but his inability to stay on the field and backroom muckraking has not helped the team...

I'm quite happy for him to apply his best at another franchise...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Canberra club scene is small enough that many that have roles within each of the respective clubs hear quite a lot of what goes on around the traps.

With something as controversial and divisive as the Friend sacking, word gets around quickly. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.