• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Elsom Saga - Clubs withdrawing offers is all the rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Obviously this is one of those stories where there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that we are not aware of. Hell it seems like the journos aren't aware of it either, or if they are they are keeping pretty quiet about it. It must involve off-field stuff, because I would have him in a heartbeat. If the price was right obviously.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One man who'd barely played one season wasn't coach or captain, whos leaving next year anyway is the cause of horrible performances he wasn't playing in, the sacking of a coach, and the mass exodus of miserable players? In that short a time?

What did he do? It just seems to me the rot had been setting in a while.

Mass exodus of miserable players?

What in bleeding hell are you talking about?

I don't understand the 'miserable' jibe, but like every other team there are a raft of senior players leaving after a World Cup year...

But he was the main instigator in Friend's sacking, and involved in other factors that have led to a team playing well below their potential...

Canberrans are happy to see the back of him...

Best 6 in Australia, but he's not worth the trouble...

He doesn't hold sole responsibility to the Brumbies' bad year but he was a major player behind the scenes...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
here here silm. Nothing but trouble. He didn't want to be here and has done bugger all since he got here. Players like this have no place in rugby. I hate this idea of players trying to get a say in who they play with. Play the game and do your job like a man.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The negative feeling towards Rocky in the rugby community should be blamed on the ARU. By forcing a clearly unfit Rocky onto us as the Wallaby captain I feel like they are endangering our best chances at the RWC, and RWC is serious buisness.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are talking about the current Wallaby skipper here.

There is a shit load of negative feeling(regarding Rocky) here amongst some of the Wallabies most dedicated supporters. That cannot good.

He is notorious for keeping his cards close to his chest when negotiating a contract and I am sure that there is a lot going on that we, the general rugby public, are not aware of.
Whether that is the case or not the ARU now have a situation where their captain is being widely ridiculed by the fans, is generally disliked by the other players(so it has been reported) and he is unwanted by all of the Australian provinces. Nice work!
Who are their P.R. people?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hey - ease back on those pitchforks!

When he was picked as captain he was one of the few, if not probably the only certain starter with some experience under his belt and everyone thought he just had a few niggles having played a long and successful season with the HC winners.

What's happened since isn't controllable by the ARU

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Maybe or maybe not. Certainly someone within the ARU should have seen this situation coming and taken steps to avoid it.
In a world cup year it is a distraction that could be done without.

Hopefully the Tahs or Rebs will announce his signing in the very near future.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Maybe or maybe not. Certainly someone within the ARU should have seen this situation coming and taken steps to avoid it.
In a world cup year it is a distraction that could be done without.

Without wanting to go off topic, SA are having similar problems with our chosen captain John Smit. Seems he rubbed a bunch of fanatical Luke Watson supporters the wrong way (his book had a bit about Watson) and there is a lot of negativity and personal attacks on the guy going on around the "blogosphere". He's not playing at the form he was a few years ago either which doesn't help. But he's the national captain, it's no good that we too now have such divided views on the guy.

Back on topic, it's a pity about what's going on with Elsom because he's always been a player I admired.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Certainly someone within the ARU should have seen this situation coming and taken steps to avoid it.

Statements like that you could say about anything!

What should they have seen and what should they done about it?

That he would be injured all year? Who knew that?

That the brumbies would spectacularly slit their own throats? At least 3 out of the 5 franchises could do that.

Sometimes it's no-one else's fault

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Without wanting to go off topic, SA are having similar problems with our chosen captain John Smit. Seems he rubbed a bunch of fanatical Luke Watson supporters the wrong way (his book had a bit about Watson) and there is a lot of negativity and personal attacks on the guy going on around the "blogosphere". He's not playing at the form he was a few years ago either which doesn't help. But he's the national captain, it's no good that we too now have such divided views on the guy.

Back on topic, it's a pity about what's going on with Elsom because he's always been a player I admired.

The difference there is that purely on playing Smit has actually been on the field this year. On the other duties as Captain Smit is well spoken and a good statesman and promotes SA Rugby very very well.

Elsom is a direct contrast on those points and in my recollection would be the first Wallaby Captain that very few organisations would be interested in having speak at a function. There is a wide perception that he is recalcitrant and surly. Even when people (including me) were critical of Gregan in the final years of his Captaincy for his play no criticism could be leveled at him for how he executed his other duties and promoted the role of Captain.

This is what shooting from the hip (ARU) gets. They assumed that he would be in demand and I think ELsom did as well. No they are in a position that even if somebody does sign him questions will be asked. Some rugby nuts may well accept him and still say he is the best 6 (which I think is crap) but this circus has further eroded his standing with fringe dwellers and the standing of the Wallaby Captain with non-Rugby people. Gone are the days of Eales, Kearns, NFJ, Lynagh and Gregan where even non-Rugby people knew who the Wallaby Captain was and they were in demand to speak at functions and they had the respect of all and sundry (especially NFJ and Eales).

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm no wrap for the bloke but if an essential qualification for a national captain is to be "in demand to speak at functions" then Martin Johnson would probably have been unappointable. I imagine some people would also have viewed him as "surly". I'm not too sure about "recalcitrant", i.e., "objecting to restraint or obstinately disobedient" (Oxford).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm no wrap for the bloke but if an essential qualification for a national captain is to be "in demand to speak at functions" then Martin Johnson would probably have been unappointable. I imagine some people would also have viewed him as "surly". I'm not too sure about "recalcitrant", i.e., "objecting to restraint or obstinately disobedient" (Oxford).

Bruce - surely being involved in the Coupe Detat in Ponyland (or at best standing by and allowing it to happen in the manner it did) can be seen as being 'wilfully disobediant' (Collins) to the organisation he was contracted to, especially given his position in the Wallaby set up and as a senior Brumbies player. As for your comparison to Johnson, aggressive on the field and with some interviewers then as a player and now as a coach. But he has never been uninterviewable or what I would charectise as surly. He was a very good ambasador as a Captain and fill the role well for England.

D

daz

. But he has never been uninterviewable or what I would charectise as surly.

Are you sure you are taking about the same bloke Gnostic? Martin Johnson. Ex-Pom captain and current Pom manager. You think he rarely gives a bad interview and is not noticeably surly?

I need to lie down for a bit.....my brain hurts.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hey - ease back on those pitchforks!

When he was picked as captain he was one of the few, if not probably the only certain starter with some experience under his belt and everyone thought he just had a few niggles having played a long and successful season with the HC winners.

What's happened since is a manifestation of the ARU bringing him back.

Oh Rocky please come back, we will role out the red carpet and you will not have to contribute to the Australian franchises or club rugby in this country because we will march you into the Wallabies regardless. We won't stop there, we will make you captain at the end of the tri nations. Maybe the pitchforks are a bit misguided at Rocky who took what was on offer as anybody in their right mind would of but those at the ARU behind those decisions deserve to be bailed up by an angry mob wielding pitchforks. If Rocky's ego has exploaded as lots are suggesting, the ARU can most certainly shield a portion of the blame for that happening.

If analogies are the theme of the day, Frankenstien springs too mind.

The whole situation could of been handled much better.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I don't really care about how he speaks but the national captain must be somebody the fans are proud to have them lead our country. Martin Johnson certainly had that but can we say the same for Rocky? I can only speak for myself but I don't feel that proud to have Rocky as our national captain.

I would rather watch paint dry than listen to John Eales speak but I was proud as punch to have him as our national captain.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I like Rocky and hope he is fit and playing well for the RWC as he is the best 6 in Aus, but the ARU publicly backing him to be captain in the face of obvious evidence he is likely to be either injured or unfit is pure pig headedness. It smacks of special treatement and points to a lack of proper planning by the ARU.

I am sure this is something the ARU is looking at behind closed doors, but qualified public support is what was required. The way they have handled it so far has been arrogant. I could understand the support if it was someone of Eales standing in this situation, but the majority of the public have been critical of Rocky's captaincy anyway.

D

daz

I could understand the support if it was someone of Eales standing in this situation, but the majority of the public have been critical of Rocky's captaincy anyway.

It is a rough road when we start talking about public perception. I wonder if the perception of Rocky as a less than great Wallaby captain is a reflection of the fact that the Wobs have not really set the world on fire over the last 3 years or so.

Under Eales, the Wobs were winners. Eales was on the end of a lot of public love given the achievements of the team he lead, but it is often forgotten that Eales the player had a hard time pre-RWC glory.

Here's a thought perhaps worth considering: Is Rocky the Wobs captain getting splattered with the criticism that is actually being directed at Deans the coach, the ARU as a whole and the Wobs achievements in general?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Statements like that you could say about anything!

What should they have seen and what should they done about it?

That he would be injured all year? Who knew that?

That the brumbies would spectacularly slit their own throats? At least 3 out of the 5 franchises could do that.

Sometimes it's no-one else's fault

No-one could have for-seen that his injury would have lasted all year but once it became apparent that he was not mending and that this may lead to his position being questioned then maybe someone at the ARU should have stepped in to try and avoid the train wreck.
It has to be the first time ever that a Wallaby captain is not wanted by the Super franchises, injured or not. The rumblings from the Wallaby faithful have been getting louder but still no word from the ARU beyond "we have come to terms with him now it's up to him to secure a Super contract".
It seems oddly lacking support wise from a modern day professional sports organisation dealing with their number 1 player.
It is only my opinion looking in from very much on the outside.

I'm not suggesting it is their fault. Only that they don't seem to be too worried about it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is a very sad thread! To say that Elsom could have done something about the sacking of Friend is unfathomable! He is not the clubs captain and holds no position of authority at the Brumbies. Certainly he is the current Wallaby captain but last time I looked the ARU didn't decide who was Brumbies coach or could tell the Board what they should do. To insinuate that Elsom had something to do with Friends sacking with out a shred of evidence from the anonymity of this forum is truly sad. And reflects much more poorly on the attackers than the man himself. Who has never publicly commented on his sacking.
Personally he was never my choice for Wallaby captain. But that's the point it wasn't my choice. And without knowing the players personally and seeing them in all types of situations how could we ever make an informed decision on such matters. If Elsom somehow ends up at the Reds I for one would welcome him. I hope supporters of every franchise would feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.