• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
On to the important stuff Div 5!
I wonder if Oately are rueing the decision not to play those 2 catch up games that could of given them a shot at 2nd as they go out the back door.
Ripper of a high scoring game in the Meldrum Minor with the Sea Lice sneaking home. Though a double yellow flag there 6 could hurt them in the preliminary

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Division 3 Semi Final Weekend Previews:

Clark Cup - 1st Grade:

Congrats to Knox on taking out the Division 3 Club Championship. Many saw the place they were in after clinging on Div 1 too long and wrote them off so it's nice to see them recover slightly in a lower division. Tough for Irish and Merrylands who absolutely would have challenged if they had a colts outfit, something to consider for all 3 clubs in which division they line up in next year.

Sydney Irish (1) vs. Merrylands (2): The top two sides all year, couldn't play more different styles if they tried. Irish got them week 1 on the road, Merrylands got them on the return road trip. Merrylands off the back of a shellacking at Knox don't have the form behind them like Irish do, but they will get their head coach back from two weeks off and some key players returning. This is a tough one to call, but I'll give the edge to Merrylands... just. Merrylands by 5.

Sydney Harbour (3) vs. Knox (4):
Like the major semi, Oysters and Knox both won the away legs of their clashes this year. Lots of this will come down to the health of the Oysters dynamic 10/15, as their run home form has been shaky without those 2, as well as their leader at #2. Knox on the other hand has been flying, upsetting the #1 ranked Merrylands at home to close out the regular season. I think Knox can win the physical battle and end Oysters' season earlier than its ever been ended before (i.e. without winning it all lol). You never really know in finals footy though. Knox by 10.

Farrant Cup - Second Grade:

Sydney Irish (1) vs. Merrylands (2):
Just copy and paste the above as the story is exactly the same here... though Irish has looked comparatively stronger in second grade all year than even the mighty Merrylands, so I'll take them here. Irish by 14.

Knox (3) vs. Hawkesbury Valley (4):
This one could go either way, depends on the strength and depth of both clubs lower grade. Given Valley has known for a few weeks that their first grade wouldnt be making it, I suspect they'll name a slightly stronger side than when these last two met. Which coincidentally was a 16-16 draw. Valley by 7.

Nicholson Cup - Colts:

Knox (1) vs. LCOI (2):
66-0 across the two games these sides have played this year, Knox will likely finish their season off undefeated, though the pressure of finals can do strange things... in any case: Knox by 20.

Sydney Harbour (Easts) (3) vs. Hawkesbury Valley (4):
Tough one, but I'll take Valley on the principle of never rooting for Shute Shield clubs in Subbies. Give 'em hell boys! Valley by 5.

Yours in still not knowing why next rounds games are at Holroyd...
PFE

Well.. 2/6, someone call my wife and tell her I lost the house...

Shouldn't have written off that Harbour outfit, they put on a defensive clinic and countered very well. Bounce of the ball didn't go Knox's way but Harbour were deserved winners and have earned the right to go play Merrylands at Holroyd? next week, a very very tough road trip. Not all bad news for Knox though winning in 2nd grade and earning the same road trip as Harbour, whilst their colts cleaned up the major semi 47-0.

Irish goes 2/2 into the GF, great day for them - they'll be favourites in both of those finals I suspect.. Valley goes 0/2 and are all out for the year, tough.

Easts 4ths colts hang around and will play LCOI next week.

Big day for subbies yesterday.

Great to drive past Hassell park and see plenty of action on the old home of rugby with DIV 3 finals

Out at Rothwell a try on the bell denied the Breakers the win in what was a brutal physical contest. They will use that disappointment, dust themselves off and go again at Concord against Hills.

2nds were in control for long periods but didn’t get the big calls and will regroup to take on Epping, a team they’ve beaten twice this season.

Colts led at halftime but were out enthused by a very good St Pats outfit in the 2nd half. Some silly errors cost them big time and they’ll no doubt work on that this week.

3s and 4s into the GF.

Chatting to some Briars and St Pats boys there was plenty of talk re Epping. I’m not buying into it, they have played all season and the end result will be what it will be.

Clubs with all grades in finals are always up against it coming up against clubs with only a few grades who can run fresh 8 man bench’s. St Pats were able to run 3 or 4 from last week’s Barraclough in 2s which helped with their depth.

A big week of recovery before the boys go again. Great that there will be 5 clubs represented out at Concord. Maybe we will hear more passionate west is best chants?

On a side note, I’d like subbies to provide guidance on how fields are selected for finals series going forward. Newport would have loved to have had the opportunity to host the Majors.
Good news story from the Barraclough game was Tim Ansty, lock Breakers, turning up to play just before kick off after rushing from the airport from the Deaf Wallabies tour (Captain too??) to South Afica. Played alright too. Hats off to Briars, making the GF after 20 odd years.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hills Barraclough team have been real quiet achievers in 2024. I don't think many had them tipped to knock off an in form UNSW. Despite the challenges have had this year with playing numbers and no colts, their 1st Grade team have been great.

It's hard to see anything other than a Briars v Newport GF but Hills continue to show up and get the results.

Do clubs (Newport for instance) get Cowboy Cup points in finals? Seems like Hunters Hill and Waverley are coming home with a wet sail. Haven't done the numbers but will be a tight finish.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wonder if Oately are rueing the decision not to play those 2 catch up games that could of given them a shot at 2nd as they go out the back door.

They didn't look flush with players. No reserves on the sheet and I'm pretty sure one of the wingers actually plays lock...

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
DIVISION 4 FINALS @ Mittigar Reserve

McLean Cup - 3:30PM

Hornsby (1) v Raptors (2)
Renegades (3) v Wakehurst (4)

Grose Cup - 2:00PM
Canterbury (1)
v Raptors (2)
Hornsby (3) v Renegades (4)

3 out of 4.

McLEAN CUP
Hornsby v Raptors
- keen to see what happened here as Hornsby were missing a couple of key personnel so I thought it might be the difference. Minor Premiers fell behind but finished strong to get to the GF despite a couple of flat performances over the last month.

Renegades v Wakehurst - very tense game for our boys who failed to adapt to the ref early at ruck time, and had limited training together. Wakehurst had a couple of personnel we hadn't seen before and they played hard, simple footy.

GROSE CUP
Canterbury v Raptors
- a lot closer than I expected. Not many on the bench for Berries, but they opened up an 18-5 lead at halftime then didn't see the ball for 20 minutes. Raptors came back but

Hornsby v Renegades - Hornsby were missing a few blokes and had very short bench - a mix of injuries and availability (wedding I think) on the day. Of course being finals everyone dropped out of the sky for us, to the point where a fair few didn't get on the field. Was a competitive game until the last few minutes where we opened up a lead and scored a nice try to seal it.

21mm

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joy Johnson Cup - Semi Finals Predictions (Mittigar Reserve)

Major Semi
Hornsby (1) v Sydney Irish (2)
How good have Hornsby been! They have come down from the CC comp with a side of Steely Veterans who show like they have played a lot of footy together. Sydney Irish also have shown they are well coached and have the class to go all the way on their day. Hornsby i feel are just too good defensively, they have only given up 36 points all year in the 10's format. The Irish Girls will be up for it, and will score early but i feel the Hornsby girls will run away with it thereafter. Hornsby 13+

Minor Semi
Lindfield (3) v Hunters Hill (4)
These two sides have shared the points this year, and there is no love lost. Both have won their home fixtures against each other in tight contests. This is going to be an old fashioned bar fight! Hunters Hill have some great strike weapons that can really hurt you if they get front foot ball. if they get a roll on early, the momentum will be tough to turn around. Lindfield however have been extremely consistent and can lean on their set piece to disrupt HH's ball and get them on the back foot from ensuing quick taps. Looking forward to this one. Lindfield 1-13

2/2

Hornsby too good. 67 0 in a Major Semi Final. they are going to take some beating.

Lindfield 14 7. Will play an Irish side looking for answers after a deflating way to start their finals campaign. Hunters Hill went down 14 nil in the first half and couldn't manage to cross until too late.

Hoping for a Lindfield win this weekend to make the final interesting as i cant see a 67 point swing to Irish to topple the undefeated Hornsby.

Eastcoast

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Div 1 Results

Great game out at Melwood - Forest have been in every game this year and somehow find a way to lose games late. Unlucky 2024 campaign for them, however if they play that way in Barraclough - I feel they have a good shot next year. Seemingly in a better position than St Pats and Petersham were last year. Either way - another strong game by HH and have proven very calm despite going behind in a few games this year. Hopefully have 2nd locked up unless Blueys decide to rest players.

Lindfield crashed back to earth and never really were in the game with Blue Mountains, which will give them a bit to think about with their top 4 position confirmed. Congrats to them though, a strong effort to jump into Kentwell and qualify for finals in Year 1.

Drummoyne let an opportunity slip to give themselves a chance this week and with an important game in 2nd grade this week. A loss this weekend in 2's and 3's could mean no finals for them this year. A virtual Quarter Final for Forest and Drummoyne this week in Burke - I wonder which club will stack their 2nd grade to help make finals. @SubbiesSoftie Any comment?

Looking forward to a calm final and maybe a 4/4 tipping.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
@Eastcoast is there any chat around the Hunters boy this week about the possibility of picking up the Cowboy Cup? The Div 1 CC is probably a little bit to far out of reach with Waverley likely to pick up lower grades at Lapstone.

However by my calculations (and The Cowboy Cup is a mystery) a good day out at Mosman plus some double points game could get you the 247 CC points you need to jump @Heavyd boys for the Cup.

At the other end of town, doesn’t look like another Forrest last round miracle is possible unless colleagues don’t show at all

Eastcoast

Jimmy Flynn (14)
@Eastcoast is there any chat around the Hunters boy this week about the possibility of picking up the Cowboy Cup? The Div 1 CC is probably a little bit to far out of reach with Waverley likely to pick up lower grades at Lapstone.

However by my calculations (and The Cowboy Cup is a mystery) a good day out at Mosman plus some double points game could get you the 247 CC points you need to jump @Heavyd boys for the Cup.

At the other end of town, doesn’t look like another Forrest last round miracle is possible unless colleagues don’t show at all
I haven't looked too far into it personally and haven't heard much chat about it either. Focus is just on this weekend and finishing the regular season strongly. Securing 2nd in Kentwell to go with Burke and Barbour is whats needed this weekend

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I haven't looked too far into it personally and haven't heard much chat about it either. Focus is just on this weekend and finishing the regular season strongly. Securing 2nd in Kentwell to go with Burke and Barbour is whats needed this weekend
Would be a good addition to the new club house if you were able to pick it up. You havent won it since 2011.

I think they are running out of space with all the trophies at Porters.

Would make it interesting if there was a cash prize with an award like this. Really make the clubs value winning.

The Waverley Walrus

Stan Wickham (3)
Would be a good addition to the new club house if you were able to pick it up. You havent won it since 2011.

I think they are running out of space with all the trophies at Porters.

Would make it interesting if there was a cash prize with an award like this. Really make the clubs value winning.
What trophies are there at Snorters Reserve? Self proclaimed Covid champions like colleagues?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Div 1 has a few finalists decided. Clashes to watch:

Burke Cup - Drummoyne v Forest for the last spot

Barbour - Drummoyne v Forest for one spot, while Colleagues need to beat Lindfield.

Whiddon - Colleagues beat Lindfield and they're safe. Lindfield nervously looking at Drummoyne v Forest in that case.

Judd gets interesting - a few more permutations than the other grades.
Waverley are minor premiers without doubt, and their game v Blueys takes on a new dimension as far as placings go.
Blueys could place anywhere from 2nd to 5th depending on results. They get a BP they're safe.

Sutherland - Waverley and Colleagues safe. Lindfield, Blueys and HHill fighting it out for the last 2 spots.

Going to be a good weekend!

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
It wouldn’t be the 2024 season would it with out a bit of rain around to end it…
There will be some nervous Div 1 clubs getting on the park to round out this season. I’d assume most of the Finals grounds will be good to go regardless

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I’d assume most of the Finals grounds will be good to go regardless

Renegades v Raptors at Wills this week for 2 Grades after Sydney Irish v Lindfield in the Joy Johson Cup. Hmmm....

It is scheduled to host the Grand Finals the week after as well, and this is the 10-day forecast:

1723612181632.png

Jeeves, warm up the pressure cleaner...

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tough year for the Woodsman, having to keep my head down after a very tough year for my blue and whites.
Things looking up as we make our move to the Hills next year. Castle Hill won’t be ready, but our alliance with the Eels has us on track with Kellyville as a stop gap until June/July.