• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Will be interesting to see, having played each other just last week, how the starting teams in the 4 clashes between Newport and St Pats & the Epping vs UNSW clashes line up.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thoughts on paying finals at night? Maybe a Friday or Saturday night. The higher divisions finals start so early and there’s such a demand for grounds it might help break things up.

Not all grounds will be able to do it and you don’t want clubs to be disadvantaged but if you confirm it from Rd 1, guys should be able to make it happen

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Following this, I’ll jot down my Interim Kentwell Team of the Season. Changes to be made post round 14 results.

1. Johann Kruse (Forest)
2. Liam Aquilina (Forest)
3. James Bourchier (Forest)

As a Forest supporter you had me going at first, because despite the challenges this year we actually do have one of the more dominant scrums in Kentwell and a tighthead prop who runs like a 13.

But then I realised the joke and now I'm just sad because I know the boys are hurting, but I also know they won't give up and are playing for pride for the next fortnight.

2024 first grade isn't a bad squad, they can push most teams, and have been so close so many times. But close isn't enough. The other teams have been just a little bit better in the moments that matter.

CC table aside, Hunters and Drummoyne are up for a challenge in the last 2 rounds. We physically dominated Drummoyne for an away win in the last round of 2023, we can do it again. But they're both also great teams, whatever happens it's going to be great rugby.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thoughts on paying finals at night? Maybe a Friday or Saturday night. The higher divisions finals start so early and there’s such a demand for grounds it might help break things up.

Not all grounds will be able to do it and you don’t want clubs to be disadvantaged but if you confirm it from Rd 1, guys should be able to make it happen
It has been done with things like Radford finals and a few others where scheduling was a challenge.

I'm all for it. Has a number of benefits like removing the sun as a factor and potentially heat - last year's First Div Finals were a very warm day for Rugby at Concord.

There are more and more grounds with lights that are broadcast quality, so why not?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Bloody shame with the test match clashing with finals today.

Looks like Brisbane club rugby has adjusted scheduling to work around the test.

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
Epping into the finals two years running all be it with the drama this year. Some success should help with player retention and recruitment moving forward
Shouldn't be celebrated at all. To think there's clubs that participated fully in all grades all season just to get kicked out of finals by a club taking advantage of a dodgy system, dissapointing.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wellness check @Heavyd
Incredibly tough game with both teams throwing everything at each other right up to the final whistle. Briars will have to be careful not to celebrate too early.

Tough day out at Yattenden for UNSW but the Uni boys should hold there heads high as they fought bravely all day. Up against a rampant Hills side in 1s they kept coming all game.
Will be interesting to see if anyone can stop the Newport Pats stranglehold on the lower divisions.

Let it sing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Blueys showing their pedigree at Lindfield today. Understandably reigning premiers and derserved 2024 minor premiers. Can they be caught?

Chris Nay put on a clinic and more than worthy M.O.M

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
@Pfitzy would of had a couple of deep breaths today. Close games but getting the chocolates. A fast finishing Hornsby run over the top of Raptors

Want a diamond? Stick a lump of coal up my arse before kick off! :)

First Grade made it very difficult for themselves against a hungry Wakehurst.

Hornsby had several players out and we finally had our players show up. Did not feel comfortable until the last try.

Very happy Club Secretary right now