• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

crushermoran

Bob McCowan (2)
Shouldn't be celebrated at all. To think there's clubs that participated fully in all grades all season just to get kicked out of finals by a club taking advantage of a dodgy system, dissapointing.

If clubs (your club) had an issue with it, you should have voted against the idea. Epping had requested to go to Division 3 or 4 and that was voted against. All Div 3 clubs were given the option to go up, none of them accepted. The other division 2 clubs voted for this option.

Great day at Hassall Park today for Division 3 Finals as well. It is definitely a notable step up from Division 6.

The ultimate ressie

Herbert Moran (7)
If clubs (your club) had an issue with it, you should have voted against the idea. Epping had requested to go to Division 3 or 4 and that was voted against. All Div 3 clubs were given the option to go up, none of them accepted. The other division 2 clubs voted for this option.

Great day at Hassall Park today for Division 3 Finals as well. It is definitely a notable step up from Division 6.
Ita a case of nah mate we will beat them it's sweet
To
Oh nah nah hang on they beat us they can't do this
Well done I say and I think I said it early pre season
I'd rather see Epping given the chance to do this as it add to the longevity of a club with a good history whom are a great bunch of blokes

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)

I apologise, asking clubs after round 1 of a season if they'd like to move up a division or to have another 2 full rounds of byes should be expected and appreciated! Feeling for UNSW who had to play against 1st graders and 3rds graders in their 2nds and 4ths finals games.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Heavyd not a good day for the old newport breakers.

can hear a pin drop in porters reserve tonight.

As the often greats and late Doris day would say - que sera sera.
Your a brave person to be writing Newport off before the final whistle. They proved what they could do under strength last year. Briars msy have got them yesterday. But they also may have awakened something down at Porters. Watch out on Grand Final day.

2 teams in Grand Finals and 3 teams in with a shot next week. Pretty good position that most clubs would take.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Throw the form guide out the window when it comes to Sydney Harbour. They just refuse to lose finals games!
I think someone did some stats on them. They’ve only lost a few games overall since coming into the comp a few years ago. This year’s been tougher but still getting the job done in Finals.
There success would rival the great Redfield sides of the early 2010s

Lurker

Bob McCowan (2)
Any word on how the Shammies are going and their predictions of ‘wiping the floor’ with Div2?

Oh sorry - saw their 3’s into the final. Good springboard back into Div1…..

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Big day for subbies yesterday.

Great to drive past Hassell park and see plenty of action on the old home of rugby with DIV 3 finals

Out at Rothwell a try on the bell denied the Breakers the win in what was a brutal physical contest. They will use that disappointment, dust themselves off and go again at Concord against Hills.

2nds were in control for long periods but didn’t get the big calls and will regroup to take on Epping, a team they’ve beaten twice this season.

Colts led at halftime but were out enthused by a very good St Pats outfit in the 2nd half. Some silly errors cost them big time and they’ll no doubt work on that this week.

3s and 4s into the GF.

Chatting to some Briars and St Pats boys there was plenty of talk re Epping. I’m not buying into it, they have played all season and the end result will be what it will be.

Clubs with all grades in finals are always up against it coming up against clubs with only a few grades who can run fresh 8 man bench’s. St Pats were able to run 3 or 4 from last week’s Barraclough in 2s which helped with their depth.

A big week of recovery before the boys go again. Great that there will be 5 clubs represented out at Concord. Maybe we will hear more passionate west is best chants?

On a side note, I’d like subbies to provide guidance on how fields are selected for finals series going forward. Newport would have loved to have had the opportunity to host the Majors.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Big day for subbies yesterday.

Great to drive past Hassell park and see plenty of action on the old home of rugby with DIV 3 finals

Out at Rothwell a try on the bell denied the Breakers the win in what was a brutal physical contest. They will use that disappointment, dust themselves off and go again at Concord against Hills.

2nds were in control for long periods but didn’t get the big calls and will regroup to take on Epping, a team they’ve beaten twice this season.

Colts led at halftime but were out enthused by a very good St Pats outfit in the 2nd half. Some silly errors cost them big time and they’ll no doubt work on that this week.

3s and 4s into the GF.

Chatting to some Briars and St Pats boys there was plenty of talk re Epping. I’m not buying into it, they have played all season and the end result will be what it will be.

Clubs with all grades in finals are always up against it coming up against clubs with only a few grades who can run fresh 8 man bench’s. St Pats were able to run 3 or 4 from last week’s Barraclough in 2s which helped with their depth.

A big week of recovery before the boys go again. Great that there will be 5 clubs represented out at Concord. Maybe we will hear more passionate west is best chants?

On a side note, I’d like subbies to provide guidance on how fields are selected for finals series going forward. Newport would have loved to have had the opportunity to host the Majors.
Allegedly, clubs were approached about hosting the semi finals.
I have no idea on how, or when, the approach was made.
I would have loved to have hosted at Epping as well. Could have been good for the club’s bottom line.

Addressing SubbiesSoftie’s concerns, it’s been spoken about ad nauseum. It is what it is and it’s not like we’ve pulled the wool over anyone’s eyes and smacked either competition. Happy for you to seek me out at Concord this Saturday and discuss…..
Our Stockdale team on Saturday was made up of:
4 x 2023 Barraclough players
1 x 2023 Robertson (colts) player
2 x returning players who’ve had a number of years off
3 x new players to the club and the game of rugby
2 x 2023 Stockdale players
2 x 2023 Blunt players
1 x new player to the club
Hardly the ‘stacked’ team you are insinuating.

Again, you know who I am, find me at concord and I’m happy to go over it with you.

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
4 x 2023 Barraclough players
I think this proves my only point? 4 1st graders in a team that isn't 1st grade. Again, feel sorry for UNSW who weren't able to compete

Don't know what your obsession is with talking in person, we all see the unfairness for what it is without needing a personal conversation with a rugby tragic about the inadequacies of your club

Never Was Been

Stan Wickham (3)
I think this proves my only point? 4 1st graders in a team that isn't 1st grade. Again, feel sorry for UNSW who weren't able to compete

Don't know what your obsession is with talking in person, we all see the unfairness for what it is without needing a personal conversation with a rugby tragic about the inadequacies of your club
Come on Softie, you're complaining about 4 of last years 1st graders playing 2nd grade this year? From memory Epping's 1st grade didn't fair too well last year anyway. The season's nearly over and you're still whinging about it. Get. Over. It.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)

Heavy D mentions above that St Pats have 4 1st Graders playing in there Stockdale side in the finals… You’d be hard pressed finding side in the finals that don’t have guys playing down

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)

My obsession?
You've taken a few shots at my club, hiding behind a pseudonym.

Anyway, hope all the tears you are shedding about the injustice are lubricating whatever bitter pill you are having to swallow.

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
Heavy D mentions above that St Pats have 4 1st Graders playing in there Stockdale side in the finals… You’d be hard pressed finding side in the finals that don’t have guys playing down
I agree, you'd be hard pressed finding a club in finals that don't have players playing down, the only club I can think of is Epping, because it's impossible for anyone in 2s to be playing down....

4 1st graders that somehow qualified for 2nd grade finals? Don't sound like 1st graders to me

Like I said, I don't really have any stake in this fight, they won't be in any division of my concern in 2 weeks. Feeling for UNSW after their hard fought road to the finals, but they'll be there next year and will have a fair fight on their hands

Never Was Been

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree, you'd be hard pressed finding a club in finals that don't have players playing down, the only club I can think of is Epping, because it's impossible for anyone in 2s to be playing down....

4 1st graders that somehow qualified for 2nd grade finals? Don't sound like 1st graders to me

Like I said, I don't really have any stake in this fight, they won't be in any division of my concern in 2 weeks. Feeling for UNSW after their hard fought road to the finals, but they'll be there next year and will have a fair fight on their hands
4 former 1st graders who played 2nd grade all year, and finished 4th. I also have no affiliation to any of these clubs, but don’t understand how you get so worked up about.