• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Pacific 2025

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
Good for you.

I'm talking about the Rebels because this is the Super Rugby 2025 thread and you keep bringing them up , for what reason I'm not sure because they won't be in it.
I have been talking about pathways and the challenges the game faces. Not once have I said in this thread that they should be re-instated.

The point was that shrinking to greatness by putting the nail in the coffin of your third most fruitful marketed when it comes to player development is going to impact on squad depth going forward.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I ask for the number
You tell me to 'google it'
I give you the google results
I'm disingenuous

Why don't you just and be honest say that you don't know what the number is either....

It's obviously a lot more than that... obviously.

This is not the first time you’ve engaged in this topic in a purposely dishonest manner, and I don’t really care to go at it again.

Mods - can we shut this shit show down?

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
Off the top of my head Victorian kids to achieve international honours in the last 15 odd years, I maybe missing some
Wallabies
Josh Canham
Rob Valetini
Pete Samu
Jordy Uelese
Isaac Ado-Kalia
Lloyd Johansson
Christian Leali'ifano
Pone Fa'amausili
Rob Leota
Tetera Faulkner
Digby Ioane

Italy
Monty Ioane

Scotland
Sione Tuipulotu

Rhino_rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Off the top of my head Victorian kids to achieve international honours in the last 15 odd years, I maybe missing some
Wallabies
Josh Canham
Rob Valetini
Pete Samu
Jordy Uelese
Isaac Ado-Kalia
Lloyd Johansson
Christian Leali'ifano
Pone Fa'amausili
Rob Leota
Tetera Faulkner
Digby Ioane

Italy
Monty Ioane

Scotland
Sione Tuipulotu
That's a solid list of Victorian players who’ve achieved international honours over the past 15 or so years! I think you’ve done a great job of covering most of the big names.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many more for the Wallabies, but it’s great to see the likes of Rob Valetini and Christian Leali'ifano still having strong impacts at the highest level.

It’s also interesting to note Monty Ioane’s rise for Italy, and Sione Tuipulotu’s journey with Scotland – both really showing the international reach of Victorian rugby talent.

I might add a couple more names to the mix:

• Joe Powell (Wallabies): He earned a few caps around 2017-2019 as a scrum-half.
  • Jordan Uelese has been progressing well too.
If anyone else can think of others who have slipped through the cracks, it’d be great to see them listed here!

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
That's a solid list of Victorian players who’ve achieved international honours over the past 15 or so years! I think you’ve done a great job of covering most of the big names.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many more for the Wallabies, but it’s great to see the likes of Rob Valetini and Christian Leali'ifano still having strong impacts at the highest level.

It’s also interesting to note Monty Ioane’s rise for Italy, and Sione Tuipulotu’s journey with Scotland – both really showing the international reach of Victorian rugby talent.

• Joe Powell (Wallabies): He earned a few caps around 2017-2019 as a scrum-half.
If anyone else can think of others who have slipped through the cracks, it’d be great to see them listed here!
Big chance Sione’s brothers will earn a Scottish cap as well

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)

Joe Powell is from Canberra...

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's obviously a lot more than that... obviously.

This is not the first time you’ve engaged in this topic in a purposely dishonest manner, and I don’t really care to go at it again.

Mods - can we shut this shit show down?
Stop making bullshit claims. There is absolutely nothing purposefully dishonest about what I have posted.

The claim was there are a "huge amount of Victorians playing at an international or test level."

Rebelman has provided 13 names over 15 years. Even if I double that number, it's less than 2 players per year. Is that what qualifies as a huge amount?

I understand that not having the Rebels will make things harder for guys like Rebelman working in the system but the reality is that the Rebel were always a poor performing team on the field and they struggled to get the kind of home support that their rivals like the Storm enjoy. For the 1-2 Test players per year VIC seems to produce, I don’t know if this was the growing to greatness he is trying to defend.

The original comment on this thread was about being excited for the 2025 season in Australia particularly with the talent that is on the books at the Tahs. Strong, tough Australian franchises is what Super Rugby desperately needs and with the Rebels gone, there already looks to be some good signs even if only on paper right now.

The only dishonest and disingenuous one here is you. You added absolutely nothing and jumped in on the conversation just so you could call me a troll.

It's not my problem that you didn't know the number and google didn't give the answer you thought would back up your little meme. So you cry to the mods to shut it down because you were so wrong....obviously.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
Stop making bullshit claims. There is absolutely nothing purposefully dishonest about what I have posted.

The claim was there are a "huge amount of Victorians playing at an international or test level."

Rebelman has provided 13 names over 15 years. Even if I double that number, it's less than 2 players per year. Is that what qualifies as a huge amount?

I understand that not having the Rebels will make things harder for guys like Rebelman working in the system but the reality is that the Rebel were always a poor performing team on the field and they struggled to get the kind of home support that their rivals like the Storm enjoy. For the 1-2 Test players per year VIC seems to produce, I don’t know if this was the growing to greatness he is trying to defend.

The original comment on this thread was about being excited for the 2025 season in Australia particularly with the talent that is on the books at the Tahs. Strong, tough Australian franchises is what Super Rugby desperately needs and with the Rebels gone, there already looks to be some good signs even if only on paper right now.

The only dishonest and disingenuous one here is you. You added absolutely nothing and jumped in on the conversation just so you could call me a troll.

It's not my problem that you didn't know the number and google didn't give the answer you thought would back up your little meme. So you cry to the mods to shut it down because you were so wrong....obviously.
So explain how killing off your third most productive market is going to help the depth of the game when we face increased competition from the AFL and NRL? You are incapable of articulating how shrinking to greatness will work, when it has proven not to have worked in the past

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
So explain how killing off your third most productive market is going to help the depth of the game when we face increased competition from the AFL and NRL? You are incapable of articulating how shrinking to greatness will work, when it has proven not to have worked in the past
You haven't shown that the VIC market will be 'killed off' just asserted it. Just like your assertion of a 'huge number' of test players.

You are incapable of articulating how 'growing' to greatness has worked. Was Australian Super Rugby better with 3 Super Rugby teams or 5?

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
You haven't shown that the VIC market will be 'killed off' just asserted it. Just like your assertion of a 'huge number' of test players.

You are incapable of articulating how 'growing' to greatness has worked. Was Australian Super Rugby better with 3 Super Rugby teams or 5?
I stated the third most local juniors to play internationally.

You don’t understand the sporting landscape in Australia at all. So enjoy your day

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bloody hell, Lloyd Johansson. Theres a guy that went rouge on a footy field.

Still remember when he tried to test structural integrity of Mortlocks neck-head attachment.

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)

Where does Victoria sit as the third biggest producer of talent behind Queensland and NSW, are they right behind them in terms of developing professional?

Don't see why you'd bail out the professional arm in Melbourne to a tune of $20 milloon for a production line which has developed 36 pros over 20 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1727997531240.png

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
I stated the third most local juniors to play internationally.

You don’t understand the sporting landscape in Australia at all. So enjoy your day
Oh OK.... so VIC produces the 3rd most - not the most or the 2nd most but the 3rd most - players who go and play overseas. Not Test level just overseas. Playing internationally not internationals. I see what you didn't there.... lol

And now because there will be no more Rebels in 2025, those junior players can't play overseas? Or VIC will stop supplying other competitions with 'huge numbers'?

But also, all the players who were playing for the Rebels will now go overseas?!

Is going overseas or playing internationally a good or bad thing?

I will have a good day thanks - hope you do too :)