• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure how well Australian audiences would engage with this from a viewership perspective.
Exactly, I never watch the kiwi games unless it’s the cross over rounds. I just don’t have time. I bloody love Union but I also love my footy Pies fan and like watching the NRL. I have been watching all the Aus games each week but am yet to watch a game with a kiwi team in it.

Even last week I put the Rebels women on over the NZ game

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I am in a similar situation Rebel man. I'm sure current viewership on Stan Sports would also reflect a similar mindset in terms of games watched not involving an Aussie team. We would be more likely to see Australia revert back to an internal competition, before seeing them get involved with an expanded comp which involved even less Australian sides, in my opinion.

I do think the COVID situation was a blessing in disguise for the Aussie Super Rugby franchises (maybe not so much the Force). There have been some close and well fought games between the Aussie conference teams. Originally the competition was throwing everyone in the mix together. I think that would have been the wrong move, as a couple of NZ floggings would have lost the casual viewer for the remainder of the season.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure how well Australian audiences would engage with this from a viewership perspective.
Well if you can guarantee Aus teams winning it seems Aus viewers will be into it. I not sure why anyone would think that Japan would be interested or that NZR would want extra teams. But if you take note that all ideas insist that Aus have 5 teams and everyone else MUST fall into what makes that work.

I understand that, as it an Aussie forum, but it is probably a bit unrealistic.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I am in a similar situation Rebel man. I'm sure current viewership on Stan Sports would also reflect a similar mindset in terms of games watched not involving an Aussie team. We would be more likely to see Australia revert back to an internal competition, before seeing them get involved with an expanded comp which involved even less Australian sides, in my opinion.

I do think the COVID situation was a blessing in disguise for the Aussie Super Rugby franchises (maybe not so much the Force). There have been some close and well fought games between the Aussie conference teams. Originally the competition was throwing everyone in the mix together. I think that would have been the wrong move, as a couple of NZ floggings would have lost the casual viewer for the remainder of the season.
I find the mini game option on Stan a good compromise for being time poor. 20 mins of extended highlights is pretty entertaining and gives and overview without all out all the stoppages

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

I actually think Covid was a blessing for Force more than anyone in Aus, as there was absolutely no mention of them coming back to Super rugby until Super Au was formed as there was no travel outside of country. Noone had mentioned them leaving GGR comp or whatever the one that Twiggy was getting set up.
Personally I real happy they back and that for me was a positive of what Covid did to rugby, the negative was the idea that Super had to be reformed and we lost the Saffa teams.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I find the mini game option on Stan a good compromise for being time poor. 20 mins of extended highlights is pretty entertaining and gives and overview without all out all the stoppages
I see we get the mini highlights packages on Sky tv now too, and assume they picked up from Stan.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I actually think Covid was a blessing for Force more than anyone in Aus, as there was absolutely no mention of them coming back to Super rugby until Super Au was formed as there was no travel outside of country. Noone had mentioned them leaving GGR comp or whatever the one that Twiggy was getting set up.
Personally I real happy they back and that for me was a positive of what Covid did to rugby, the negative was the idea that Super had to be reformed and we lost the Saffa teams.
The Force comment was in regards to this season specifically, losing their first couple of home games due to the restrictions.

Agree re COVID allowing the Force to return back in 2020 as I am not sure how the competition would have ended up with the Force still being excluded otherwise.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well if you can guarantee Aus teams winning it seems Aus viewers will be into it. I not sure why anyone would think that Japan would be interested or that NZR would want extra teams. But if you take note that all ideas insist that Aus have 5 teams and everyone else MUST fall into what makes that work.

I understand that, as it an Aussie forum, but it is probably a bit unrealistic.
How is it unrealistic to have 5 teams? If NZ doesn’t like it they can try and make a go of it on their own

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
How is it unrealistic to have 5 teams? If NZ doesn’t like it they can try and make a go of it on their own

Where did I say that? The discussion was 8 NZ teams, 5 Aus, 3 Japan, MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua and whether it would engage Aus fans.
I was responding to these comments is all.

PhilClinton

Eyes and Ears said:
I would love to see a 16 team comp with an 8 team finals series (works well in 2 other sports). 8 NZ, 5 from Aust plus MP (Moana Pasifika), Drua and 1 from Japan (or a minor variation on this).

However I would drop Japan if the travel is too much.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
There's a story on stuff.co.nz that NZ Gov will tomorrow announce that the border will re-open for fully-vaxxed people from visa-waiver countries (Aus being one) from early April with no MIQ or self-isolation required.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Might PM old mate Dismal to re-title this "The Other "Where To For Super Rugby?" Thread"...

giphy.gif

gagrflow.png

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The diamond shape in the top right side is missing a lot of connections.
Nah I am converted. We should slash oz sides to just one side to play in super rugby ie either the Tahs or rebels. We then relocate them to be based out of nz as let’s face it nobody in Sydney or Melbourne would probably notice in any case…ok tahs don’t suck as much now so maybe that makes the one side the rebels now. With what is left of oz rugby supporters should then all band together to support the crusaders as our only means to ensure we piss off the kiwis.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well there not going to be another outbreak in Aus is there? Aus past their peak , and looks like we will be so should be no probs.

We're ramping up with the BA.2 variant.

Can't see NZ going back on this though. They've finally given up on COVID zero.

The issue now is games getting postponed. The more it happens and the later in the season it is, the harder it is to resolve.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
We're ramping up with the BA.2 variant.

Can't see NZ going back on this though. They've finally given up on COVID zero.

The issue now is games getting postponed. The more it happens and the later in the season it is, the harder it is to resolve.
NZ gave up on zero covid when Omicron arrived, always said the policy was for as long as could be attained. Much like WA, trying to make sure hospitals etc don't get overun. They won't go back on it the whole world is in another place regarding it all now. I think this weekend is agood idea, probably better to give as many a break now to try and slow it all down, and hopefully have less affect on games later, rather than running teams agaist each other that have it in ranks.
And best thing is teams can play finals in both countries and Irish tour will go ahead!

Last edited: