• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
NZ Gov removing outdoor crowd-size limits as of midnight Friday & vaccine passes won't be compulsory from 4 April. Mask mandates remain in place, however.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Leaders starting to clear away from the bunch:

SUPER RUGBY PACIFIC​

Pos.PWDL+/-Pts
Brumbies
Brumbies87018331
Blues
Blues76018827
Crusaders
Crusaders76016427
Queensland Reds
Queensland Reds76016226
NSW Waratahs
NSW Waratahs74034120
Chiefs
Chiefs74031918
Western Force
Western Force7205113
Hurricanes
Hurricanes6204-1111
Melbourne Rebels
Melbourne Rebels7205-5610
Highlanders
Highlanders7106-348
Fijian Drua
Fijian Drua8107-1316
Moana Pasifika
Moana Pasifika6105-1264

Crazy that teams with losing records will almost certainly qualify for QF's.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It is but they do it to try to keep as many supporters as possible engaged for as long as possible.

Personally in a 12 team comp I’d go the old amateur model:

week 1
A qualifying semi - 2nd v 3rd
B elimination semi - 4th v 5th

week 2
C major semi - 1st v winner A
D minor semi - loser A v winner B

week 3
E preliminary final - loser C v winner D

week 4
final - winner C v winner E

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Leaders starting to clear away from the bunch:

SUPER RUGBY PACIFIC​

Pos.PWDL+/-Pts
Brumbies
Brumbies87018331
Blues
Blues76018827
Crusaders
Crusaders76016427
Queensland Reds
Queensland Reds76016226
NSW Waratahs
NSW Waratahs74034120
Chiefs
Chiefs74031918
Western Force
Western Force7205113
Hurricanes
Hurricanes6204-1111
Melbourne Rebels
Melbourne Rebels7205-5610
Highlanders
Highlanders7106-348
Fijian Drua
Fijian Drua8107-1316
Moana Pasifika
Moana Pasifika6105-1264

Crazy that teams with losing records will almost certainly qualify for QF's.

Window dressing as RA and NZRU could not otherwise agree on how to address nz and oz team competitive imbalance so go with something Mickey Mouse to try to say oz teams get to finals. As opposed to risk of go with top 5 go through and risk no oz teams in finals and PR disaster. I think the risks of PR disaster regardless like last years TT still high as token teams that make final 8 but way off the pace won’t hide a lemon. Anyhow we have done this topic to death so I guess let’s see what pans out like we do every year…wonder how many really expect something different after so many years of the same…those few rusted on optimists who do believe remain an endangered species…

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
It is but they do it to try to keep as many supporters as possible engaged for as long as possible.

Personally in a 12 team comp I’d go the old amateur model:

week 1
A qualifying semi - 2nd v 3rd
B elimination semi - 4th v 5th

week 2
C major semi - 1st v winner A
D minor semi - loser A v winner B

week 3
E preliminary final - loser C v winner D

week 4
final - winner C v winner E

They're not going to make the season longer so maybe:

Week 1
3 v 6
4 v 5
Losers eliminated

Week 2 - SF
1 v lower-ranked winner
2 v higher-ranked winner

Week 3 - GF

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I like that WOB. I had never really seen the idea of top qualifiers going advantage of not going straight into knock out unti I was involved ib Aus rugby, and really liked it, this is slightly different but seems a good system anyway.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Following on from the news that Tom Banks has been offered a quite simply astronomical amount of money to go play in Japan (how can you say no to that?!) I wanted to ask a few questions of the GAGR forum to better understand the dynamics of the current Super Rugby setup. It seems to be we are steadily being blown away by the vast amounts of money offered OS, and Super Rugby is on its way to being reduced to a mickey mouse competition if things don't change. There is plenty of work RA can do in it's own backyard, but I'd like to better grasp what Super Rugby can do to supercharge its own product and get more money coming in. Some of these may be quite obvious to many so sorry in advance!

(I'm not trolling or fishing here - I'd just like to improve my own understand of the lay of the land. So if we can avoid this devolving into a 'yeah but you guys suck' 'nah it's you guys who are shit!' discussion from the usual suspects that'd be great. I however reserve the right to say this myself at the end if I so choose).

Who runs Super Rugby Pacific? SANZAAR? Do we have an independent Super Rugby organizational body making decisions solely focused of the integrity of this competition?

Is there a salary cap for all teams? If so what is it?

RA provides a certain amount of player top ups. Does NZ do the same? Are these top ups exempt from Super Rugby salary caps for both nations?

I read often that NZ see the ABs as the top of their pyramid cash cow (of course, huge brand and nation defining team) - does this mean a reluctance to tinker with Super Rugby as essentially their high performance development program?

Do all Aus and NZ Super teams have academies?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the convo progresses but am happy to start there!

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
It seems to be we are steadily being blown away by the vast amounts of money offered OS, and Super Rugby is on its way to being reduced to a mickey mouse competition if things don't change.
Can't help directly with any of the specifics, but just want to comment on this.

Obviously the Tom Banks offer is a monumental, life-changing sum of cash (particularly for a guy who many view as solid but not a star), but crazy money from overseas isn't a new thing, and I don't think this in particular changes the landscape much. Contract prices naturally creep up over time (as with everything) - it just happens to be that we've hit the million dollar mark and it's an eye catcher.

When the French and Japanese teams first started paying silly money over a decade ago, it of course started drawing many internationals, but Super has remained a relatively solid (globally-speaking) competition, with a core group of AU/NZ/SA internationals leading the charge. I'm not sure a handful of million-dollar+ offers to solid players here and there are going to impact that much more than it has in the past.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree Cheesey, but in saying that, if Banks is getting $1.4M it changes the landscape for players who are both above and below his skill level.

Guys who are genuinely better (in all positions) will likely be looking for $1.4M+ to make a move. That could work in Super Rugby favour, as maybe overseas teams aren't willing to throw that cash around all the time, although it seems weird they picked Banks to do it.

The main problem is probably going to be those fringe Wallabies/guys yet to debut, we've already had a number of guys announce to be leaving Super Rugby after this year, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), ASY (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to name a few. If overseas sides are willing to pay Banks $1.4M, it means those fringe blokes value may be increasing as well, thus making them harder to retain in Super Rugby.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Saanzaar Still a thing? I guess with the RC, South Africa is still involved, but I’d doubt they don’t have any input in Super Rugby.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Is Saanzaar Still a thing? I guess with the RC, South Africa is still involved, but I’d doubt they don’t have any input in Super Rugby.
SANZAAR are still the governing body - manage the judicial process etc. Not sure of their input over and above general governance, if any

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SANZAAR is run out of Sydney.

I assume that pretty much all Super Rugby Pacific decisions are made between RA/NZRU. The SANZAAR committee are execs or board members from the various unions involved. Given the lack of SA and Argentina involvement in the current competition, I doubt they'd have any input there.

I am guessing Moana and Fiji don't really get much input on competition decisions.

There's definitely an argument that Super Rugby or whatever competition is in place should have its own independent governing body but I don't see that as ever being likely. The national unions own the competition and own or quasi-own the bulk of the teams involved. They are absolutely running it to suit their overall calendar and needs.

If the competition had to sign broadcasting contracts that only included Super Rugby games it is highly unlikely they'd generate more income than they do now getting distributed an allocation from the overall broadcast rights that includes test rugby.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
SANZAAR is run out of Sydney.

I assume that pretty much all Super Rugby Pacific decisions are made between Rugby Australia/NZRU. The SANZAAR committee are execs or board members from the various unions involved. Given the lack of SA and Argentina involvement in the current competition, I doubt they'd have any input there.

I am guessing Moana and Fiji don't really get much input on competition decisions.

There's definitely an argument that Super Rugby or whatever competition is in place should have its own independent governing body but I don't see that as ever being likely. The national unions own the competition and own or quasi-own the bulk of the teams involved. They are absolutely running it to suit their overall calendar and needs.

If the competition had to sign broadcasting contracts that only included Super Rugby games it is highly unlikely they'd generate more income than they do now getting distributed an allocation from the overall broadcast rights that includes test rugby.
One of the major benefits, at least on the surface, to have SANZAAR providing oversight is a level of independence from Super Rugby (the organisation)

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Drewprint
$1.4 per annum in NRL for an above average player is not uncommon.
RA and NZR will need to find a way to generate cashflow in the coming couple of years. I think we’ll see more contracts like this coming through hard and fast.