• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
What are the main differences you notice when the Australian teams play each other compared to when the NZ teams play each other?
damo.jpg

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
What are the main differences you notice when the Australian teams play each other compared to when the NZ teams play each other (in general)? For example, do you notice any general differences in vibe, feel, skill level, flow of game, attitude of players, etc?
Two things stand out to me:
1. NZ v NZ: Bit smoother-flowing type games. Bit more attractive. Could be a reflection of skill level.
2. AU v AU: Bit more venom towards each other. Seems more likely for a fight to break out. Is this misdirected aggression?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
1. NZ v NZ: Bit smoother-flowing type games. Bit more attractive. Could be a reflection of skill level.
2. AU v AU: Bit more venom towards each other. Seems more likely for a fight to break out. Is this misdirected aggression?
The aggression between the Australian players is why I wish it was just an AU competition, absolutely love it, every game is a chance to earn a Wallabies spot by proving you are better than the other potential test players.

Reactions: dru

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
The aggression between the Australian players is why I wish it was just an AU competition, absolutely love it, every game is a chance to earn a Wallabies spot by proving you are better than the other potential test players.
Yeah, there is something to like about the passion, but do you think it's just about earning a Wallabies spot? Not sure that the NZ players are trying any less to earn an AB spot. So it makes me think there might be more to it. What do you think?

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
The reaction of the Reds players after the SRAU final last year showed how much the local derbies means to all the players.
A game that attracted forty thousand fans.
There is a market for AU games.
Absolutely, and you’ve seen it with people making remarks about Crusaders putting 50 on the Rebels and Reds in the match thread. We can’t even enjoy wins in the derby rounds of Super Rugby Pacific because it’s not beating the kiwis.

Take my back to Super Rugby AU off that’s going to be the mentality.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Absolutely, and you’ve seen it with people making remarks about Crusaders putting 50 on the Rebels and Reds in the match thread. We can’t even enjoy wins in the derby rounds of Super Rugby Pacific because it’s not beating the kiwis.

While I am in favour of Super Rugby AU, people said the same things over the last two years

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
The reaction of the Reds players after the SRAU final last year showed how much the local derbies means to all the players.
Are you suggesting there is more of a tribal allegiance to the AU teams for the players, compared to the NZ teams?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

My fear is that the games against NZ this year, will feel like Super Rugby TT did last year.

There is an argument to be said that playing the NZ teams throughout the comp, rather than bang, bang, bang in a row at the end, would make it easier for the AU teams. And I guess we'll test that theory next year without COVID affecting things.

However, there is also an argument to be said that playing the NZ at the end, after the AU teams have warmed up, and after the NZ teams have supposedly 'beat each other up too much', should (in theory) make it easier for the AU teams.

Don't want to steer off topic, but will be interesting to see what happens at the end of this season. I'm certainly enjoying the comp ATM.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stats from the Aussie Teams (from the very limited ESPN and Super Rugby sites):

First chunk limited to players who played at least 40 minutes.

Defensive Players of the Round:

1. Rory Scott (Brumbies) 18 tackles @ 100% success rate
2. Harry Wilson (Reds) 16 @ 100%
3. Sam Wallis (Rebels) 15 @ 100%
4. Geoff Cridge (Waratahs) 11 @ 100 %
5 Charlie Gamble (Waratahs) & Folau Fainga'a (Brumbies) 10 @ 100%

Biggest Attacking Influence ((Clean Breaks + Defenders Beaten + Offloads + Try Assists) x Metres/Run):

1. Jake Gordon (Waratahs) 144.20 (whatever, just see it as an indicator)
2. Tom Wright (Brumbies 77.71
3. Jock Campbell (Reds) 48.86
4. Manasa Matele (Force) 47.09
5. Tom Banks (Brumbies) 31.50

Biggest Game Disrupter (Minutes Played / (Clean Breaks + Defenders Beaten + Offloads + Turnovers Won + Line Out Steals)):
So basically who makes shit happen the most regularly!

1. Jock Campbell (Reds) 8.89 (basically does something game breaking just under every 9 minutes)
2. Tom Wright (Brumbies) & Matt Philip (Rebels) 10.00
4. Jake Gordon (Waratahs) 11.29
5. Manasa Matele (Force) & Izaia Perese (Waratahs) 11.43

Work Rate (Minutes Played / (Runs + Turn Overs Won + Tackled):

1. Harry Wilson (Reds) 2.42 (does one of the above every just under 3 minutes)
2. Sam Wallis (Rebels) 2.70
3. Fraser McReight (Reds) 2.86
4. Angus Scott-Young (Reds) 3.18
5. Jordan Uelese (Rebels) 3.21

Uh Oh (Minutes Played / (Turn Over Conceded + Missed Tackle + Penalties Conceded + (Yellow Card x 2) + (Red Card x 5)):

1. Reece Hodge (Rebels) & Taniela Tupou (Reds) 8.33 (stuffed up something every 8 minutes)
3. Jed Holloway (Waratahs) 11.43
4. Cadyrn Neville (Brumbies) 12.25
5. Angus Scott-Young (Reds) 14.00

Impact off the bench (Basically the Game Disrupter one but only for those who played at least 10 minutes from the bench):

1. Jake McIntyre (Force) 6.50
2. Ollie Callan (Force) & Young Tanumaipea (Rebels) 10
4. Zane Nonggorr (Reds) 10.50
5. Tamati Ioane (Rebels) & Tane Edmed (Waratahs) 13

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
So you obviously never saw the reaction when the Tahs beat Crusaders in final a few years back, or when Reds did same, I gthink the reaction just comes from winning the comp.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)

Having no crowd in NZ probably doesn't either. The games feel like they lack a bit of intensity without a rabid crowd

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

Mate people can say what they like about what scores are going to be in a match thread, it's all shit, cannot see Reds getting 50 points put on them by anyone.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Stats from the Aussie Teams (from the very limited ESPN and Super Rugby sites):

First chunk limited to players who played at least 40 minutes.

Defensive Players of the Round:

1. Rory Scott (Brumbies) 18 tackles @ 100% success rate
2. Harry Wilson (Reds) 16 @ 100%
3. Sam Wallis (Rebels) 15 @ 100%
4. Geoff Cridge (Waratahs) 11 @ 100 %
5 Charlie Gamble (Waratahs) & Folau Fainga'a (Brumbies) 10 @ 100%

Biggest Attacking Influence ((Clean Breaks + Defenders Beaten + Offloads + Try Assists) x Metres/Run):

1. Jake Gordon (Waratahs) 144.20 (whatever, just see it as an indicator)
2. Tom Wright (Brumbies 77.71
3. Jock Campbell (Reds) 48.86
4. Manasa Matele (Force) 47.09
5. Tom Banks (Brumbies) 31.50

Biggest Game Disrupter (Minutes Played / (Clean Breaks + Defenders Beaten + Offloads + Turnovers Won + Line Out Steals)):
So basically who makes shit happen the most regularly!

1. Jock Campbell (Reds) 8.89 (basically does something game breaking just under every 9 minutes)
2. Tom Wright (Brumbies) & Matt Philip (Rebels) 10.00
4. Jake Gordon (Waratahs) 11.29
5. Manasa Matele (Force) & Izaia Perese (Waratahs) 11.43

Work Rate (Minutes Played / (Runs + Turn Overs Won + Tackled):

1. Harry Wilson (Reds) 2.42 (does one of the above every just under 3 minutes)
2. Sam Wallis (Rebels) 2.70
3. Fraser McReight (Reds) 2.86
4. Angus Scott-Young (Reds) 3.18
5. Jordan Uelese (Rebels) 3.21

Uh Oh (Minutes Played / (Turn Over Conceded + Missed Tackle + Penalties Conceded + (Yellow Card x 2) + (Red Card x 5)):

1. Reece Hodge (Rebels) & Taniela Tupou (Reds) 8.33 (stuffed up something every 8 minutes)
3. Jed Holloway (Waratahs) 11.43
4. Cadyrn Neville (Brumbies) 12.25
5. Angus Scott-Young (Reds) 14.00

Impact off the bench (Basically the Game Disrupter one but only for those who played at least 10 minutes from the bench):

1. Jake McIntyre (Force) 6.50
2. Ollie Callan (Force) & Young Tanumaipea (Rebels) 10
4. Zane Nonggorr (Reds) 10.50
5. Tamati Ioane (Rebels) & Tane Edmed (Waratahs) 13
Good work Reg, love the insight. That explains my negative scores for Tupou on fantasy rugby.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think it throws some doubt on the selection of Tupou in the Team of the week and a query on the non-selection of Harry Wilson.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think it throws some doubt on the selection of Tupou in the Team of the week and a query on the non-selection of Harry Wilson.
Everyone has their own read on team of the week selections and they aren't all purely stat based. Personally I selected Tupou for his involvements at key moments and big plays produced - his try, a couple of scrum penalties/scrum dominance at key moments and a really key chase to secure a kick down field from Daugunu stood out. Not sure where you get the non-selection of Harry Wilson from, he's at 8 in every team of the week I've seen so far, here or otherwise.

I'd suggest the idea that certain teams should be almost entirely overlooked based on their opposition is much more questionable, particularly in the first round of a competition.

Last edited: