• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I also heard that TMO's will only get involved with try/ no try & "serious foul play" (presumably that means Yellow Card/ Red Card) decisions.
Thank God for that

".....Angus, comms check, comms check, would just like to bring your attention to something that's come up on my other monitor....."
"What is it Ben?"
"It says here Briscoes are having a half-price sale this weekend".
"WHAT?"
"50% off on quality bedding and linen, Angus"
"What the....."
"I know right? Isn't it great! One other thing Angus....."
"What?"
"It says here if you pay by credit card that charges will be reflected in your monthly statement".

"Ben, I'm kind of f****ing busy here, would you please f*** off for a minute you ****** ********"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What about outside the 5 m zone all scrum penalties become quick taps to non offending side?

I don't think you can create a situation where it could incentivize the weaker side to infringe.

You'd prefer to concede a quick tap 15m out from your line than a scrum which is a great attacking opportunity.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
What about outside the 5 m zone all scrum penalties become quick taps to non offending side?
Maybe the packs should set like an uncontested scrum, the ball starts at the 8's feet and then the whistle blows time on, the attacking team then plays the ball and the defending 9 has to stay near the scrum but the attacking scrum half can move to the backline to take a pass from the back of the scrum, this way winning the scrum penalty gives and numbers advantage in the backline.

A quick tap is usually a mess, either the defence cannot retreat quick enough and it becomes a penalty or there is so much interference with the ball that the quick tap is slowed down.

Scrum dominance needs to be rewarded.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
And would you rather watch Fiji play amazing counter attacking running rugby or Australia kick penalty goals after dubious scrum calls by the ref... just saying... it is generally why Rugby League is a better spectacle. Unfortunately they went too far and made their scrum a joke.
Do Australia win the game?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And would you rather watch Fiji play amazing counter attacking running rugby or Australia kick penalty goals after dubious scrum calls by the ref... just saying... it is generally why Rugby League is a better spectacle. Unfortunately they went too far and made their scrum a joke.
Rugby league better spectacle - shit game but had the better players. Union missed the trick by doing lot of things wrong - particularly in this country. Incompetence in union mgt etc allowed league to Flourish and dominate in oz, otherwise outside of png behind rugby in other countries.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just one more sleep until SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) kicks off, I am predicting the Tahs to win an entertaining game against the Drua with Swinton motm.
Rebels to get home in a tight one against the Reds, the clash of the front rows and halves to be the highlight of the game, motm Carter.
Which leaves us with the Force v Brumbies, I was hoping the Force could cause an upset and steal a win against the Brumbies.
The Brumbies are a hard side to crack when they are playing at home and have selected a highly skilled and experienced starting fifteen, Brumbies by twelve, motm Valentini.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just one more sleep until SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) kicks off, I am predicting the Tahs to win an entertaining game against the Drua with Swinton motm.
Rebels to get home in a tight one against the Reds, the clash of the front rows and halves to be the highlight of the game, motm Carter.
Which leaves us with the Force v Brumbies, I was hoping the Force could cause an upset and steal a win against the Brumbies.
The Brumbies are a hard side to crack when they are playing at home and have selected a highly skilled and experienced starting fifteen, Brumbies by twelve, motm Valentini.
I so desperately hope you are right, will probably drink a slab to celebrate if my Rebels get the win

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My beef about the scrum is that it used to be a way to restart play after a minor infringement, forward pass, knock on, etc. It has grown far too much in importance. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe institute a time limit. If the side putting the ball in games the system, who cares, as long as it is not too egregious. After all, they should have the advantage.

Strip all the time wasted with scrum resets out of the game, and watch the game change for the better.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My beef about the scrum is that it used to be a way to restart play after a minor infringement, forward pass, knock on, etc. It has grown far too much in importance. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe institute a time limit. If the side putting the ball in games the system, who cares, as long as it is not too egregious. After all, they should have the advantage.

Strip all the time wasted with scrum resets out of the game, and watch the game change for the better.
I reckon if we let the North win a few world cups they might ease up on all the boring shit.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

The time wasted is mostly 2 areas:

a) The setup: IMHO instead of refs telling the front three how to line up and bind, something they should already know, just give them one warning only. After that, yellow-card one player from each front row. No messing about. Get it right or risk a yellow card to one person from each team (remove people trying to get the opposition yellow carded if both do by default). Stop the messing about.
b) The scrum collapsing/folding/standing/failing part way through: IMHO if the ball can even remotely be used, it should be. Don't stop the scrum and reset it. Just play-on with advantage. Nothing infuriates me more than the the players themselves deciding to play-on, get the ball out of the scrum and keep going, only for the ref to immediately call it back for a penalty that occurred in the scrum.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

a) The setup: IMHO instead of refs telling the front three how to line up and bind, something they should already know, just give them one warning only. After that, yellow-card one player from each front row. No messing about. Get it right or risk a yellow card to one person from each team (remove people trying to get the opposition yellow carded if both do by default). Stop the messing about.
b) The scrum collapsing/folding/standing/failing part way through: IMHO if the ball can even remotely be used, it should be. Don't stop the scrum and reset it. Just play-on with advantage. Nothing infuriates me more than the the players themselves deciding to play-on, get the ball out of the scrum and keep going, only for the ref to immediately call it back for a penalty that occurred in the scrum.
spoken like someone who has never seen the inside of a scrum. Ludicrous.

Your 2nd point is bang on.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Good news… I wonder if stadium capacity will be cut once the inevitable outbreak starts thogh

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I am sure in the Reds v Tahs game the referee mentioned it has been 30 seconds or you have only 30 seconds when a scrum was taking a while to pack. Cannot recall exactly but I was astounded and thought it sounded like there was some type of play clock.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I hate the waste of time at lineouts, next time someone claims their laces are loose I would love a referee to tell a trainer to place tape over the laces on all of the forwards boots to stop it happening again.

I would love a timer placed on lineout restarts, if the throwing team is not ready on time the other team gets the ball, if the defending team is not ready then the throwing team can just tap and run.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hate the waste of time at lineouts, next time someone claims their laces are loose I would love a referee to tell a trainer to place tape over the laces on all of the forwards boots to stop it happening again.

I would love a timer placed on lineout restarts, if the throwing team is not ready on time the other team gets the ball, if the defending team is not ready then the throwing team can just tap and run.
Good point about the tape. I always taped my laces up and never had an issue - wonder why pros don't.