• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's total tries at the end of golden point. So if you are up by 3 tries, the match is tied then you lose to a try in golden point you are only up by 2 tries so you would just get one bonus point for losing by 7 or less.
That's what I would've thought, but this line appears to contradict that:
1644992407470.png

It specifically states that if you earn the 3 try BP in regular time and lose in golden point you still get the BP.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hey Guys, does anyone have a link/password to the G&G footy tipping comp, It was mentioned on the podcast but not all of us have twitter. Sorry if not the right forum

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I really hate how the bonus points rules work, it is designed to encourage try scoring but relies on having a set number of tries more than an opponent or being within 7 points of them.

Theoretically you could lose a game 77-63, or 11 tries to 9 and the team with 9 tries gets nothing.

A team that loses 3-0 gets a bonus point.

I think it should simply be score 4 tries in a game and get a point if you must have bonus points. I personally dont think they should be awarded at all, especially in a competition where the draw is not even for all teams, particularly in the COVID era.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I really hate how the bonus points rules work, it is designed to encourage try scoring but relies on having a set number of tries more than an opponent or being within 7 points of them.

Theoretically you could lose a game 77-63, or 11 tries to 9 and the team with 9 tries gets nothing.

A team that loses 3-0 gets a bonus point.

I think it should simply be score 4 tries in a game and get a point if you must have bonus points. I personally dont think they should be awarded at all, especially in a competition where the draw is not even for all teams, particularly in the COVID era.
If a game ends 77-63 both teams should lose points.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hope that's just a media document and not the official write up the competition is using - the golden point section on competition points appears to be incomplete and is just generally really vague - e.g. doesn't specifically cover bonus points in the situation where team A has 3 tries more than Team B in regular time but then team B wins with a try in golden point. It appears the 3 try bp from regular time is respected in this case, even though it can still be earned in extra time in the alternate scenario described. I don't really mind one way or the other, but if it's that inconsistent it really should be clearly stated, not just implied.

No Idea why they didn't just put together a proper matrix with all the possible permutations, it's not that complex, I did it in about 10 minutes:

Team A wins GP with a penalty/drop goalTeam A wins GP with a tryTeam B wins GP with a penalty/drop goalTeam B wins GP with a tryDraw
Team A has 3 tries more than Team B in regular timeTeam A win and 3try BP, team B losing BPTeam A win and 3try BP, team B losing BPTeam A losing BP and 3try BP, team B winTeam A losing BP and ???, team B winTeam A 3try BP, Draw points for both
Team A has 2 tries more than Team B in regular timeTeam A win, team B losing BPTeam A win and 3try BP, Team B losing BPTeam A losing BP, team B winTeam A losing BP, team B winDraw points for both
FFS! Will a ref have 10 minutes to do the computations before he signs off the score sheet? It looks like the win/loss/draw points are trying to get as complicated as the laws of the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's what I would've thought, but this line appears to contradict that:

It specifically states that if you earn the 3 try BP in regular time and lose in golden point you still get the BP.

I agree it is ambiguous. Based on the other comments my belief is that would only be the case if they lost the game to 3 points, not to a try. You still have to end up with 3 or more tries than the opposition at the end of the game.

It was initially but then scoring tries in Super Rugby has never been an issue and it was changed to the 3 tries more than the opposition to reward dominant victories.

It also follows that if you are conceding 5+ tries, why are you getting a bonus point (unless you lose in a close game).

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I agree it is ambiguous. Based on the other comments my belief is that would only be the case if they lost the game to 3 points, not to a try. You still have to end up with 3 or more tries than the opposition at the end of the game.

It was initially but then scoring tries in Super Rugby has never been an issue and it was changed to the 3 tries more than the opposition to reward dominant victories.

It also follows that if you are conceding 5+ tries, why are you getting a bonus point (unless you lose in a close game).
Scrum penalties need to go..

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Scrum penalties do not need to go

Devaluing them in Super Rugby Pacific would flow on to player selection and effort placed into them by teams/coaches. That would impact Test level performances.

Scrum penalties are a harsh reality we just need to embrace because it wins/loses test matches.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Devaluing them in Super Rugby Pacific would flow on to player selection and effort placed into them by teams/coaches. That would impact Test level performances.

Scrum penalties are a harsh reality we just need to embrace because it wins/loses test matches.
The flip side of that is if we place less importance on scrummaging we will get smoked every time we go North

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

I don’t know, I hate seeing props getting yellow carded just because they’re weak compared to the opposition. You don’t yellow card the would be tackler when they get sat down by Kerevi.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, my main issue is that ambiguity. It's such a niche case it doesn't really matter what system they use for the bonus points, I just wish they had learnt to detail this stuff clearly and without ambiguity already. There's been previous issues with a lack of clarity around variations as they were introduced - does 50// also apply to 22/50?, can penalties/drop goals be scored during golden try extra time, the various changes that have come in around substitution over the years etc.

Looking at the style of that document so much of it could be addressed by adopting better technical writing practices around these aspects of the game that can be clearly and entirely defined on paper. There's already more than enough complexity and ambiguity in rugby's laws that we don't need to be adding more artificially.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

The problem is when you have ex Test props in the commentary team not knowing why a penalty was given by a ref .... well... a joke.. what about when the ball is at the 9s feet and ready to go and the ref gives his team a penalty for a scrum infringement... sorry .. that is a huge blight on the game.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

And would you rather watch Fiji play amazing counter attacking running rugby or Australia kick penalty goals after dubious scrum calls by the ref... just saying... it is generally why Rugby League is a better spectacle. Unfortunately they went too far and made their scrum a joke.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don’t know, I hate seeing props getting yellow carded just because they’re weak compared to the opposition. You don’t yellow card the would be tackler when they get sat down by Kerevi.

I agree regarding some of the scrum penalties. A change I would like to see to the scrummaging laws is that outside of a 5m scrum where a pushover try is a live option, don't award penalties for a scrum not staying square after a certain number of metres etc.

I.e. if you've won the ball and are pushing back the opposition easily, it shouldn't inevitably end up with a penalty advantage as well.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I agree regarding some of the scrum penalties. A change I would like to see to the scrummaging laws is that outside of a 5m scrum where a pushover try is a live option, don't award penalties for a scrum not staying square after a certain number of metres etc.

I.e. if you've won the ball and are pushing back the opposition easily, it shouldn't inevitably end up with a penalty advantage as well.
Yeah that would be a good rule. You have dominance, a scrum on skates and getting to march up the field.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
The problem is when you have ex Test props in the commentary team not knowing why a penalty was given by a ref .... well... a joke.. what about when the ball is at the 9s feet and ready to go and the ref gives his team a penalty for a scrum infringement... sorry .. that is a huge blight on the game.

regardless, it would be a mistake to remove them from Super Rugby as it would negatively impact on test performances where scrum penalties remain.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
And would you rather watch Fiji play amazing counter attacking running rugby or Australia kick penalty goals after dubious scrum calls by the ref... just saying... it is generally why Rugby League is a better spectacle. Unfortunately they went too far and made their scrum a joke.

that’s seems a tad hyperbolic.

I’m not disputing the need to tidy up officiating at the scrum. However devaluing the scrum at Super Rugby leave is the wrong option as it weakens the performance at test level also.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

What about outside the 5 m zone all scrum penalties become quick taps to non offending side?