• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby 2017: matches not involving Australian teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You guys get so stuck into the refs. The Blues and Chiefs lost to the better team on the day. Vok that's not so difficult.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^ I never blame a ref for a result but that is so obviously at least a YC even before WR (World Rugby)'s most recent contact-with-the-head protocol that it just defies belief they both saw it as a penalty only. The fact Treeby has now been cited tends to reinforce that view.

As I posted earlier, the second Duffie YC was for something that gets let go multiple times in just about any given game any given week so why, all of a sudden & having let Treeby off with a penalty only for what was on any viewing a far greater offence, do they decide it's YC material? Odd, to say the least.

Veldsman's penchant for odd decisions is well known & goes back to 2011 at least, van Heerden is rapidly moving into Stu Berry territory.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Refs are human and make mistakes. Not only in rugby in every sport. Rugby players are coach from age 7 to play to the refs whistle. Look like this don't happen in NZ.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
^^^^^^^ I never blame a ref for a result but that is so obviously at least a YC even before WR (World Rugby)'s most recent contact-with-the-head protocol that it just defies belief they both saw it as a penalty only. The fact Treeby has now been cited tends to reinforce that view.

As I posted earlier, the second Duffie YC was for something that gets let go multiple times in just about any given game any given week so why, all of a sudden & having let Treeby off with a penalty only for what was on any viewing a far greater offence, do they decide it's YC material? Odd, to say the least.

Veldsman's penchant for odd decisions is well known & goes back to 2011 at least, van Heerden is rapidly moving into Stu Berry territory.
Sad loser. Keep on depressing yourself.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^ Blues aren't my team, nor are the Chiefs & if anything their losses are my teams gain. So not depressed at all. Thanks for the concern, tho.

Can you not see how incongruous it is to penalise a guy for knocking someone out with a swinging arm yo the head, but carding another for unnecessarily & potentially dangerously flopping on top of someone?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Sad loser. Keep on depressing yourself

Holy shit.

This guy makes Shiggins look like fucken Kofi Annan.

mousewheel.gif

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
^^^^^^^^^ Blues aren't my team, nor are the Chiefs & if anything their losses are my teams gain. So not depressed at all. Thanks for the concern, tho.

Can you not see how incongruous it is to penalise a guy for knocking someone out with a swinging arm yo the head, but carding another for unnecessarily & potentially dangerously flopping on top of someone?
Don't you realise that it happen every where in rugby. Even in NZ provincial rugby. Its part of rugby and luckily a rugby expert like yourself on an Aussie forum won't change this.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Refs are human and make mistakes. Not only in rugby in every sport. Rugby players are coach from age 7 to play to the refs whistle. Look like this don't happen in NZ.

This has nothing to do with blaming a ref for a loss or "playing to the whistle". It's about the inability of two referees with the aid of real time, replay, and slo-mo replay being unable to recognise a dangerous tackle as at least a YC, if not red under World Rugby edicts and precedent this year. This is not marginal stuff; it's a shocker of a call. Refs should absolutely be accountable for such howlers.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That Lions side is up there with the quality of the NZ sides. People say they have had an easy draw but last year they had the harder draw taking the NZ teams and made the final.

They look like they enjoy their rugby and they play for each other. Basic stuff but it makes all the difference. They also have that culture where any member of the squad if called into the 22 can just slot in at the highest standard like the NZ teams can.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This has nothing to do with blaming a ref for a loss or "playing to the whistle". It's about the inability of two referees with the aid of real time, replay, and slo-mo replay being unable to recognise a dangerous tackle as at least a YC, if not red under World Rugby edicts and precedent this year. This is not marginal stuff; it's a shocker of a call. Refs should absolutely be accountable for such howlers.

Well said mate.

The reffing group had a shocker. I personally think it didn't cost the result, because both teams played some poor footy. They missed some stuff that have resulted in cards - Treeby, Ofa Tu'ungafasi both incident S should've been reviewed and called out for cards.

Nothing to do with playing to whistles, bagging refs, what you learn at under 7s, or being sore losers, the very inconsistent performance was baffling to say the least.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Treeby suspended for three weeks:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/stormers-blow-as-treeby-suspended-for-3-weeks-20170521

Seems about right. As does this:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/treeby-citing-highlights-questionable-officiating-20170520

Seems it's not just Australians who have an issue with their incompetence.....
No it's not. Veldsman is a walking (or talking) disaster. Remember he USED to be a ref and got cut for not being up to it.

We have all called for more ref accountability. Allegedly there is this review system but we have not seen a ref get sanctioned.

The question is this. Let;s for argument say they institute a three strikes and you're out for a round policy. Would that have changed the Treeby incident going unnoticed?

And is it bias, incompetence or both? Careful, suggest bias and you infer that bad decisions made everywhere are due to bias if it is a home ref.

Who the feck would want to be the ref, let alone the guy who gas to manage them. No thanks.

You can substitute this discussion in ALL sports. Soccer, NFL, basketball. Endless whingeing about the ref. Don't really know if there is a solution unless you have a panel of 10 TV refs and they stop the game every 5 minutes and review everything. One Kiwi, one Aussie, one Saffa, an Argie, a Pom, a Japanese, an Azerbaidjene...just to be sure there's not bias.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No it's not. Veldsman is a walking (or talking) disaster. Remember he USED to be a ref and got cut for not being up to it.

We have all called for more ref accountability. Allegedly there is this review system but we have not seen a ref get sanctioned.

The question is this. Let;s for argument say they institute a three strikes and you're out for a round policy. Would that have changed the Treeby incident going unnoticed?

And is it bias, incompetence or both? Careful, suggest bias and you infer that bad decisions made everywhere are due to bias if it is a home ref.

Who the feck would want to be the ref, let alone the guy who gas to manage them. No thanks.

You can substitute this discussion in ALL sports. Soccer, NFL, basketball. Endless whingeing about the ref. Don't really know if there is a solution unless you have a panel of 10 TV refs and they stop the game every 5 minutes and review everything. One Kiwi, one Aussie, one Saffa, an Argie, a Pom, a Japanese, an Azerbaidjene.just to be sure there's not bias.

And Shiggins. Defiantly.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
ROUND 14:

Blues v Chiefs
17:35 Fri 26 May*

Sunwolves v Cheetahs
15:15 Sat 27 May

Bulls v Hurricanes
0:05 Sun 28 May

Sharks v Stormers
01:15 Sun 28 May

Lions v Kings
23:30 Sun 28 May

*times are AEDT

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Blues side has been named for the match against the Chiefs.

1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. James Parsons (C)
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
5. Scott Scrafton
6. Steven Luatua
7. Blake Gibson
8. Akira Ioane
9. Augustine Pulu
10. Piers Francis
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. George Moala
14. Matt Duffie
15. Michael Collins

16. Hame Faiva
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Sione Mafileo
19. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
20. Kara Pryor
21. Sam Nock
22. Stephen Perofeta
23. TJ Faiane

Francis has been cleared to play despite his head knock last week, and we also have the debut appearance for the Blues Designated Messiah 2017, Stephen Perofeta. All hands to the hype train. The brakes have been removed and we are ready to roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.