• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Six Nations 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sam Warburton sure showed that he's a deserving Welsh captain when on song lasty.

Except that he either doesn't know the words to Land of our Fathers, or chooses not to sing it. Both options distinctly un-welsh;).
I actually like that. Nothing wrong with silently respectfully taking it all in. That moment is such an emotionally charged thing for wales. As I said before it's really the only moment that unites everyone and sends shivers up my spine. But for the players themselves sometimes belting it out is the last thing we need.Never forget how Shane, Alfie and thorburn used to end up in tears. Took them about 10 minutes post kick off to start playing properly!

Btw it's Mae hen wlad fy nhadau. There is no English version. No welsh version of god save the queen either

Don't think we have a concept of unwelsh historically or present day. In fact the etymology of both anglicised welsh and Cymro would indicate that for both sides 'un' cymry' (?)'= saeson = Saxon = English and in orcish unenglish = welsh. warbs certainly isn't English.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You and how many million others?
Thing again huw is that it's not the players necessarily. It's the self interested cheer squad.

Am really regretting sending the optimism gnome over to run amok. Plastic paddy must be shattered and bardon, bairdy and jsrf haven't surfaced either. Hope theyre alright. For reasons stated Haven't seen the match but reports and highlights indicate it was closer than the poodle cheer squad are making it sound. Ireland have players that outclass orcs in most positions through to 10 and parity except at 15 ( and Kearney is good). But it takes a really good game plan to break them down like we did last year. Gonna have to put my faith in cement again. He may not be likeable to all but is due respect. he did a helluva job to pick the boys up after Dublin

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just looked at the torygraph player ratings. Jesus must've missed the match of the century. No orc less than 7/10 apart from violent pony. All better than their opponents

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
England were good value for their win. Was stupid of us to kick so much ball to Brown who's an excellent player. Also we gave two inexperienced wings a bit of an armchair ride.

Surprised we kicked so much ball when we knew it was going to be difficult to get it back.

Championship is wide open now. Would like to see some changes to the side to play Italy. Get some players like Zebo in the team with a point to prove and hopefully we can rack up a score that will mean victory in Paris will all but guarantee the title. Not that Ireland winning in Paris will be a given, it's the one place in the NH we struggle to win no matter how bad France are.

This is shaping up to be the closest championship in a long time and I'm loving it. Well yesterday excepted, but if we won all the time there wouldn't be as much excitement.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Gutted after the Irish performance, the kicking game wasn't at the level of the Welsh game and our attack looked a bit blunt. Luke Marshall would have been a better option at 12 I think and he should come in for the Wales game. One of Fitzgerald or Zebo has to come into the back 3 to provide a bit of spark as well.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Four tries in three games for Zebo now. Still don't think he will play in either of the last two games. Think he has served his penance and without Bowe or Earls available he has to be brought back into the squad. Pace frightens teams.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
England were good value for their win. Was stupid of us to kick so much ball to Brown who's an excellent player. Also we gave two inexperienced wings a bit of an armchair ride.

Surprised we kicked so much ball when we knew it was going to be difficult to get it back.

Championship is wide open now. Would like to see some changes to the side to play Italy. Get some players like Zebo in the team with a point to prove and hopefully we can rack up a score that will mean victory in Paris will all but guarantee the title. Not that Ireland winning in Paris will be a given, it's the one place in the NH we struggle to win no matter how bad France are.

This is shaping up to be the closest championship in a long time and I'm loving it. Well yesterday excepted, but if we won all the time there wouldn't be as much excitement.
We re going to make that error too. Kicking down field drives me nuts. As for Ireland, I think there was always a danger that the success against wales was going to lead to them trying it again. We all foresaw the need for plan b. last year was pretty close too. This year your lot are still in box seat tho

These stats don't make us look too good
http://rugby.delfan.co.uk/rugby/SixNations/SixNationsSummary2014.htm

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone know what the problem was with Alun Wyn Jones? Think Wales will need his experience for the raid, hopefully successful, on Twickenham. I would start Jake Ball with him as well. Won't ever forget his assault on Niall Ronan but he is an abrasive fecker. Still wasn't entirely convinced by the Welsh line out but England did nothing against the Irish line out so You might get away with it. Hopefully it will piss with rain because Hair Bear has at last played off his gut and will destroy Marler and Vunipola. Narrow Welsh win would be handy enough.

The priority for Ireland is to eviscerate the Italians and put another 40 or 50 on the PD so the only issue in Paris is the win. People in the know don't seem to think Zebo will be involved. So be it, if he keeps cruising in the tries for Munster I won't be too bothered.

People will probably think I am mad but I would not be surprised if Scotland beat France. Even if they kept the PD to single figures it would be handy enough.

Ireland bottled a game they should have won in Twickenham but all is not lost. A failure to win in Paris though and Schmidt's first season and BOD's last will be regarded as a failure.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I back you PP, France are a different team away, plus hopefully we get a little bit of confidence out of the win.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I back you PP, France are a different team away, plus hopefully we get a little bit of confidence out of the win.

Scotland are not a bad side although Johnson is the biggest bluffer in world rugby. Gray is a show pony but, so long as Hamilton is there to provide the heft he can ponce about on the wing. You have a hooker who has not got the yips which helps, Grant is a quality player. Jackson at 10 ahead of fatty would help. Bring Visser back and get your new hybrid pitch, please fecking God, and you won't be a million miles away in spite of what some of the clowns in the English media have to say.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Richies height and weight mean he is always a threat at set pieces and Mauls. If he's got a hard Ass to order him around elsewhere (Hines, Kellock, Hamilton, O'Connell) he's good around the field too.

Otherwise we've got the same problem as the Rebels.

Props look pretty reasonable when fully fit. Strong set of Locks. Backrow options coming out of our ears, a few good scrummies, reasonable set of outside backs, excellent fullback.

But poor options at both Hooker and fly-half which is crucial to the modern game.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Webb did what was needed. Distribution fine but he ain't no Conor Murray yet.
Was watching again last night, and Webb provided much quicker ball for the forwards than Phillips has. He's not as powerful and doesn't quite fit that Warrenball mode, but seemed to provide better ball for the forwards to work with, which helped make the forwards look a lot more on top of their game.

Don't get to see much top 14 but it seems to be a power game that doesn't work at international level. Glad we were able to expose just how shit they are. Still think its the league that is killing the national side. France give the illusion of strength cos the knock off sh sides occasionally, which we can't. Plus there is the $$$ which means they have to be kept sweet by pundits.
Saint-Andre has been pretty vocal in complaining about the French system he benefited so positively from at Toulon. Very few of the national team players are getting game time in groups like the other Six Nations teams -- the have so many marquis players they're paying top money for, and those players get used more regularly than the French players to help justify the outlay. That means the French players never quite get up to speed in the same way as the other teams, particularly in the backs. At least this year they're playing people in their regular positions (Fofana at center and not wing).

The power game that dominates the Top 14, though, isn't helping. It ain't great to watch, and a clever team with a little physical resilience can unlock that power game. Check out Grenoble-Clermont for an example of that.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
One of the big differences in the kicking game between the Wales and England games was kicking to touch. More often than not, Murray would box kick to touch rather than give 1/2Penny a chance to run it back in broken play. Based on form, Brown should have been treated similarly, but Ireland kept the ball in play rather than relying so much on their lineout (which they didn't even use to maul that much in this game).

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
One of the big differences in the kicking game between the Wales and England games was kicking to touch. More often than not, Murray would box kick to touch rather than give 1/2Penny a chance to run it back in broken play. Based on form, Brown should have been treated similarly, but Ireland kept the ball in play rather than relying so much on their lineout (which they didn't even use to maul that much in this game).
And Murray hardly kicked in Twickenham, why? F'ck knows.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
And Murray hardly kicked in Twickenham, why? F'ck knows.
I wonder if it was a different gameplan they wanted to implement, hoping England would be preparing for the Ireland that played Wales, or if there was too much forward pressure to give him a chance to kick.

I'll need to watch it again, but haven't yet had the heart to.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ireland bottled a game they should have won in Twickenham but all is not lost. A failure to win in Paris though and Schmidt's first season and BOD's last will be regarded as a failure.

I wouldn't automatically say its a failure if we only win our home games, we've developed in a strong set piece at last and our ruck work is improving whilst the penalty count is down. We are a work in progress and probably got carried away with a couple of wins. Next season I'll want 2 wins from November tests and 4 6 Nations wins minimum, this season progress from the shambles of a side that Kidney left was about the minimum for me and we've seen almost enough to rate this comp a 6/10.

That said I want to see the selection of more attacking players in the backline, Zebo/Fitzgerlad and Luke Marshall would be a start. If we'd had Jared Payne at 13 for that game at the weekend the result would have been different. I'd probably start Moore against Italy and have Archer on the bench, those two need some exposure.

To paraphrase a blog I read we are missing our only two world class forward, albeit one has been missing for a long time and our most attacking backs through injury or lack of gametime so if we can get them back fit the ball in hand issues should sort themselves out.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
To paraphrase a blog I read we are missing our only two world class forward, albeit one has been missing for a long time and our most attacking backs through injury or lack of gametime so if we can get them back fit the ball in hand issues should sort themselves out.
I assume Sean O'Brien has been hanging around the Ireland training camps, but is Stephen Ferris? How much exposure has he gotten to the new set-up?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I assume Sean O'Brien has been hanging around the Ireland training camps, but is Stephen Ferris? How much exposure has he gotten to the new set-up?

From what I hear, just from following social media and getting the odd snippet from people in the know, he is back in full training and is hoping for an Ulster comeback this season. The Ulster coaching staff are more cautious and are happy to wait until next season if he proves his fitness. I would say the Ireland coaches have been in contact but that is probably the extent of his involvement.

Really hoping he gets back to some sort of fitness, I can imagine him being a 30 minute impact player he destroys all in his path. Such a shame he keeps breaking down, although it is never the same injury and always seems to be freak occurrences which cause them. Very unlucky altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.