• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Six Nations 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
No Parisse for Italy after all. Might get Leinster, sorry Ireland, out of jail. Sexton starting is stupid when he is not 100% is stupid. Anyway, team is selected so time to row in behind them. Munster will be quite motivated on the 29th of March!!!!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Should be a comfortable Irish win especially when Italy are missing their best two players.

Would have liked to have seen a bit more rotation, maybe Moore and Jackson in there. However we do have a lot of guys who would have seen gametime injured TOD, Tuohy, POM, Marshall, Bowe and Fitzgerald. Schmidt has played it a bit too safe for my liking but with 6 of our first choice 23 out I can understand it. If we win by 30 and empty the bench early on Saturday there'll be no complaints.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Points diff could easily decide the championship so I'm not exactly surprised that he named what is essentially the starting side.

Not sure how I feel about the provincial sniping. Not a big fan of tribalism when our hopes ride on the same wagon.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure how I feel about the provincial sniping. Not a big fan of tribalism when our hopes ride on the same wagon.

Unfortunately its part and parcel of the game these days, in fact its always been a motivation for Munster club sides going back throughout the history of Irish rugby. They always felt the bigger provinces got favoured in Irish selection. Since 2010 Ulster and Leinster fans felt that Kidney favoured Munster players in tight calls, Munster fans now feel that Schmidt is looking at his selection with blue tinted glasses.

Now to be fair at the moment you could make a case for it however once we are back to somewhere near full strength I'd expect a 23 of Healy, Best, Ross, Ryan, POC, POM, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Earls, Marshall, Payne/Henshaw/Fitz/Olding, Bowe, Kearney McGrath/Kilcoyne/Cronin, Cronin/Strauss, Moore, Toner/Tuohy, TOD/Ferris, Reddan, Jackson, Zebo. Currently 7 of that first choice 23 are either injured or not yet qualified. Leinster have more strength in depth and Irish qualified players in their first choice 23 than the other two provinces. Ergo they have a greater representation in Irish squads when there are injuries.

Disclaimer: I cant decide on some positions, we have some tough calls ahead of us, in the positions where I've listed multiple players I'd go for Olding, McGrath, Tuohy and Ferris if they are all fit.

However be assured once that whistle starts on Saturday Plastic Paddy will be 110% behind the Irish team, I'd wager he couldn't care where they are from so long as we win.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah Olding will be a special player IMO, Marshall I think will be keeping the jersey warm for young JJ Hanrahan in Munster but I think he won't force his way into the squad until after the World Cup. Which is why I left him out of the above.

Any back on topic, any predictions for the weekend? I'm hoping for small win for France and a draw in Wales England. More realistically France by 15, England by 7 and Ireland by 25

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Gotta do more reading up on the announced squads before I make any calls outside of France/Scotland (announcing their squads relatively early like gentlemen do). Will have my article up in the next ~12 hours though (sleep deprived as anything right now so may just put it off until the morning - have the pleasure of working remotely tomorrow).

Scotland finally named their strongest back row and France selections are fucking bad, bad, bad. I can see them slipping and losing to the Scots in this one. It's an interesting faceoff between two coaches who are thoroughly off their rockers.

So far I'm pipping Scott Allen in 6N predictions though by the looks of things, clearly I am the second coming of rugby Jesus. /s

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah Olding will be a special player IMO, Marshall I think will be keeping the jersey warm for young JJ Hanrahan in Munster but I think he won't force his way into the squad until after the World Cup. Which is why I left him out of the above.

Any back on topic, any predictions for the weekend? I'm hoping for small win for France and a draw in Wales England. More realistically France by 15, England by 7 and Ireland by 25

I'd like to see JJ go to the RWC if possible. I'd prefer Ireland to move to a system where the last few spots go to guys who would benefit from the experience of just being part of the RWC as opposed to rewarding players for their service.

As for predictions I'd say Wales by less than 7, France by 10 and Ireland to cut loose and win by 40.

The Ireland score is obviously what I hope will happen. We've yet to see the Irish backline really click and create a lot of opportunities. I'm hoping this game is where we see that from Schmidt for the first time with Ireland. By the end of next year's 6Ns it needs to be a regular thing and we've got to start somewhere.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I am already 110% behind the team and hope they put 30+ points on the Italians. I have said all along that it is brave of Schmidt to go with the Leinster option although it probably makes sense at this stage. Zebo is being omitted for non rugby reasons so there is no point going on about those or his omission. Pom is not fit so much more sensible to have him at home rested up for le Crunch. TOD is injured but I think would have been on the bench with Ruddock for this game. And Ryan is still not match sharp IMHO.

I think it is a mistake to be starting Murray and Sexton because they are both vital to the raid on Paris. Given that Sexton is carrying a thumb injury and took some sort of bang to the head in the last quarter in Twickers I would have paired Murray with Jackson. If it is felt Sexton has to get back in the plate after his underwhelming display against the orcs then I would have started Reddan, and you will not hear that out of me very often!?!?

Only disappointment aside from that is no Tommy Bowe on the bench; Ulster don't have a game this weekend so why not bring Bowe on for a half against Italy, his two tries last Friday shows he is sharp enough.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Oh and JJ will play 10 for Ireland, not 12. If he wasn't carrying this fecking groin infection and needing to have his gametime managed, I think he would be first choice at Munster, he would have supplanted Madigan in the bigger six nations squad and could very likely be pushing PJ for the 22 jersey. He is an exceptional talent, but these bloody groin infections are a bastard as we saw with Paulie.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Oh and JJ will play 10 for Ireland, not 12. If he wasn't carrying this fecking groin infection and needing to have his gametime managed.

Groin infection? Has he been carrying this for long PP? Will surgery be needed or can I expect to see JJ rolled on to see 3 Irish teams into the Heino Cup semis?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
image.jpg

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Groin infection? Has he been carrying this for long PP? Will surgery be needed or can I expect to see JJ rolled on to see 3 Irish teams into the Heino Cup semis?
JJ and Keatley both have the same infection of the pubic bone thing that POC had a couple of years ago. Apparently that is why the two of them have been sharing the gametime this season. If both had been fit I think JJ would have passed Keatley out. Hope they can both get fit for next year.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You Irish boys are overdosing on the gnome. I can't see you losing. But Italy are no longer walk overs especially at home and if Schmidt sticks to plan a they might be able to cope. Predicting 40 point wins is setting yourself up for a fail. You stuffed wales up front. If Italy forwards are anything better that shit they will be better we were and the Irish outside backs have not shown any spark yet. Irish game plan to now is predictable and there was no plan b in mordor

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ireland played completely differently against England to Wales, granted the back couldn't finish off the opportunities provided but to say we have no plan B is harsh. Execution and accuracy was the problem against England not the game plan or lack of plan B

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I can't wait for England vs Wales. A 2015 pool match preview.

Wales nearly at full strength with only Charteris missing.

My only concern about Wales is our consistency this season, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride so far.
Charteris being out with no Ian Evans, Bradley Davies or Ryan Jones as cover is worrying - Ball was excellent last time out but if Alun-wyn picks up a knock early and we play Ball & Coombs I fear for us.
Burrell has also been very effective for England, I just hope Jon Davies is sufficiently match fit to cope defensively.
Halfback is an area where England have the edge, Care is playing well and Farrell improving. Webb was ok against France but they were woeful to be fair. Decision making isn't his strong point or Priestland, any wayward kicks Brown will return with interest.
I'm picking England to shade a tight game but obviously hope I'm mistaken.
Ireland will easily win by at least a 20+ margin - Italy are a busted flush.
Will France turn up against Scotland ? Who knows, difficult game to call, could be a nail biting Scotland win or France by 20 if they want it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't wait for England vs Wales. A 2015 pool match preview.

Wales nearly at full strength with only Charteris missing.
I can. Dreading the thought of seeing invertwats smug face if we lose and lord bald proclaiming bombers heroes as rwc champions in waiting. One day it is going to happen. Oh god, let it no be this day

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's a whisper that Wales are to follow England's example and walk through the Twickers car park past the Range Rovers, Bentleys, picnic hampers and champagne swigging chinless wonders. They would normally get the bus to pull up right outside the door.

I hope to fuck that Mike Phillips keeps his distance but get the feeling that Adam may grab a chicken wing on the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.