• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Based on subbies Div 1 and 2 results reported today it seems so - clubs seem to be fielding 6 teams, in the case of Colleagues adding teams in the guise of Colleagues Convicts its 9(?). The ICMS team in Div 6 is sponsored and coached by Manly . Based on the "quality" of its international heavily nordic support base (no sexism on this thread) who watched the Bandicoots beat Manly Savers after first grade at Manly yesterday evening we are at risk of wholesale defection to subbies. Certainly a lot of the regular crowd chose to hang round and I'm not sure it was all about the rugby.5ths kicked off at 9:30am with the ICMS game finishing around 6pm - a great day of club rugby . Perhaps another pointer to the merit in SS clubs aligning with subbies to accommodate player development and fluctuations in ability or desire to commit to the increasing demands of top grade competition
very well put

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
G'day

I'm up in Qld, haven't followed the Shute Shield for a while but I still really like it. Just wondering who is looking Premiership material? I'm guessing Uni? Hope my side the Rats have a good season!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
My report of 4th Grade Gordon vs Penrith

A 29-12 victory to open the account for season 2013. After the disappointment of the forfeit to an obviously strong Manly club last week this was a a great result. The Emu's team we were facing we both experienced and huge. Hat's off to our Front Row who hadn't played together before - that was a great effort - well done Levai Vono (1), Clement Heral (2) and Michael Balk (3).

In the opening minutes Penrith showed their game plan to be concentrate on using their strong forwards off the ruck scoring a good try running through our smaller players who were trying to tackle too high. After realising the best option was to go low, our young team started to turn the ball over and managed to run in 5 tries. Some awesome low tackling from new club men, Clement Negrier (6) and Peter Brush(7), as well as some good running from captain Adam Ashcroft(8) created opportunities for the backs to take the lead at Half time. Michael Hegarty(5) also new to the club this week showed he has plenty of promise in the 2nd row - I don't expect him to stay in 4s very long.
The game became scrappy and standards dropped for both teams. It became a bit spiteful with plenty of banter between the two teams. Penrith scored a good late try but the 5 tries scored in the first half were enough to keep them at bay. Plenty of fitness work to be done by Gordon 4th grade with the 30 degree temperature pushing the lungs.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ah Ryan, after our game against Gordon last week I know your pain. Who was it?
Ed Martin. I watched the game again and even the commentators were baffled over some decisions, particularly the Woods sin bin which was inexplicable. I agree Parramatta weren't at their best and Randwick were good, but a level playing field would have been good.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ed Martin. I watched the game again and even the commentators were baffled over some decisions, particularly the Woods sin bin which was inexplicable. I agree Parramatta weren't at their best and Randwick were good, but a level playing field would have been good.
Ref was bad, terrible sin binning of Woods as well as a equally bad one of Wicks no 8 with 15 to go and Two blues on the charge. Game of 2 halves where wicks did enough in the 1st to win.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree with all the comments on the ref at the wicks game, but consistency was the winner. He was bad to both sides, however Parramatta were hard done by in the scrums.
Interestingly the Wicks had three players on during the game that are still eligable for Colts.
The hooker, Tevita will remember his lesson from a Wallaby hooker. The half back did well but looked a little frazzeled at times, but who could blame him on a scrum going backwards at pace, and the winger who came on near the end, Nathan *** looked good especially when he played in second grade.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Two Blues pack redefined the term "owned" in relation to the Wicks scrum on the weekend.

Agree with others that this was not the finest performance from a Shute Shield whistleblower, however that performance did appear to be consistent with no apparent bias but the impact of the poor calls seemed to take greater toll on the Two Blues.

A good side will win games in spite of sub-par refereeing performances. There were glimpses of this at times from the visitors but the Two Blues have a way to go yet.

Not often that a Wallaby gets an opportunity to "mentor" a young up and comer such as TPN did to the young fellow from Newington on the weekend. For all the grief TPN cops about his technique and propensity to get injured, on Saturday he showed once again that he is a true grass roots rugby hero. Bravo.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not often that a Wallaby gets an opportunity to "mentor" a young up and comer such as TPN did to the young fellow from Newington on the weekend. For all the grief TPN cops about his technique and propensity to get injured, on Saturday he showed once again that he is a true grass roots rugby hero. Bravo.

He's a class act.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
He certainly seemed to enjoy playing grass roots rugby as evidenced by his reaction to Andrew Cox's try.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
From the NSW RU web site, it would appear that there would only be 3 fifth grade teams Randwick, Northern Suburbs, and Manly.

Not much of a competition. Have all the fifths headed off to Subbies in the other clubs?

souths and easts played a 5th grade game on the weekend, not sure if it was just a one off or they will both have regular teams

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
He's a class act.

I agree TPN is a class act but I must admit I was somewhat bemused by the comparison between his arrival at Coogee on Saturday and that of SBW. TPN walked in (a current Wallaby) and nobody seemed to take much notice. SBW arrived and there was an immediate buzz around the ground with adults lining up to get their photos taken with "the great man". To be fair, SBW took it all with good grace and made himself available for anyone who wanted a photo.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Do all the grade matches have videos ? I know first grade does but what about the others?
If they are it would be great to see them on the inet. Rival coaches not withstanding.
And what happened to last years additional shute sheld games on Vimeo ( I THINK)?

Apparently Wicks have a second rower who is 6'11" in the old scale. On the bench today I am told.
Might have to go and check him out.

His name is William Carrick-Smith and he's on loan from Exeter Chiefs, the UK club that Wade Kelly used to play for.
He towered over the other locks on the field when he ran on in second grade.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
G'day

I'm up in Qld, haven't followed the Shute Shield for a while but I still really like it. Just wondering who is looking Premiership material? I'm guessing Uni? Hope my side the Rats have a good season!

Are you aware that ABC Queensland are showing the Saturday game at 0330 on Tuesday morning?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Another week and another scramble for higher grades to pinch 4th Grade players. Regardless we've a strong XV has been selected for Gordon 4s v West Harbour. See you on the other side.
Gibbo

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Another week and another scramble for higher grades to pinch 4th Grade players. Regardless we've a strong XV has been selected for Gordon 4s v West Harbour. See you on the other side.
Gibbo
Ah the trials of the coach of the lowest grade team! I've always said that fourth grade names three teams - the Tuesday team, the Thursday team and the real team that is finalised 10 minutes before you run out!

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.