• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The way the fullback for East's joined the line at pace leading up to their first try was absolutely brilliant. Very textbook stuff but was executed very well and held the Uni defense long enough for the overlap to form allowing the chase to come through on the kick.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The wicks scrum was much better and held its own for much of the game. The Eastwood scrum had some big weighty boys and as the game went on they picked off a few lineouts but not the scrums. They did have it travelling back in a few scrums but nothing like the previous week.
The second rower for Eastwood, Mitch Lees was outstanding and very mobile for a big unit. The 34-3 scoreline included a very well taken intercept from Lachie Turner who was carried off with an ankle injury later on and some very well taken tries down the left wing.
There is no doubting the commitment of both sides in this match and the injury toll will attest to this at their next training session.

SLS, I certainly agree with your comment about the commitment of both sides. Some of the tackling was ferocious. Watching the run of play there didn't seem to be a lot between the two sides, but Eastwood definitely showed more flair and creativity in attack and deserved to win by the margin. The Wicks lost three players from the win over Parra during the week and now have to back up against Easts on Thursday. Interesting to see who's fit enough to make it onto the paddock!
The playing conditions on the top field for 3rds and 4ths were terrible and the games probably should have been postponed, but I guess nobody predicted the downpours during the two games. The seconds (on the main ground) was the most evenly contested game of the day and both sides showed they have some depth.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
The way the fullback for East's joined the line at pace leading up to their first try was absolutely brilliant. Very textbook stuff but was executed very well and held the Uni defense long enough for the overlap to form allowing the chase to come through on the kick.

Agree. He had a very solid game for his debut. I thought the 13's defence was critical in holding out the Uni backs and the effort of the Easts pack, particularly the back row, in keeping Uni try less with so much ball in the first half was fantastic. Saffy and Winton were both very dangerous runners for Uni.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Gordon vs West Harbour rescheduled for Wednesday evening under lights at Chatswood Oval.
4s at 6:30
3s at 7:45

There may or may not be some Two-Up after 3rd grade in the Trumper Can-Bar post match. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

Entry is free - the Beer isn't ;)

Reactions: Tim

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agree. He had a very solid game for his debut. I thought the 13's defence was critical in holding out the Uni backs and the effort of the Easts pack, particularly the back row, in keeping Uni try less with so much ball in the first half was fantastic. Saffy and Winton were both very dangerous runners for Uni.

Uni hurt themselves a lot as well with poor handling and dropped balls but the 13 defended really well both in the line and scrambling.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
A nice write-up from Terry Smith re: about some of the changes at Gordon in Rugby News for round 3.

http://gordonrugby.com.au/2013/04/22/story-featured-in-rugby-news-round-3-2013/
Gibbo, congrats on the scholarship scheme - a great initiative. Isn't the point, however, to attract new talent to the club - are Pete's sons going to play anywhere else (although one did a year at Syd Uni). Hopefully, we can stop the flow of our schoolboys slipping through to the hated Norths. Keep up the good work - great to see the Pixleys and others back on the field.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A huge loss to Manly, Club Rugby, and the Growth of Rugby - Tim Lane has picked up a job in France.
In the space of 12 months two very successful coaches have moved on - Louden & Lane.
Does this happen because of our lack of a 3rd Tier,
  • where are we heading?
  • what quality Australian coaches have gone abroad?
  • in this thread "name your best Club team post Super Rugby", revealed some very strong club teams that could hold there own in the ITM / Currie comps, yet we have nothing post Super?

Well Manly have a very able replacement in Phil Blake, Phil coached and established good growth within Manly prior to Tim returning to Manly.
Some very entertaining attacking rugby was played back in 2010 under Phil's coaching, and I recall we had one of the best defensive records in the comp.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
You are probably right Dave Beat - It's almost as if Aussie coaches need to go and learn O.S. before they can come home to a S-XV Team. Foley, Johnson, Link, Eddie Jones, Cheika - they've all had lengthy stints in the Northern Hemisphere.

I think its got something to do with the standard of Forward play we have here in Grade footy. It just doesn't stack up against the quality 3rd Teir comps around. There isn't the week in week-out scrum and breakdown work that happens. The coaches need to go and learn how to coach that, then come back with those skills.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Gibbo, congrats on the scholarship scheme - a great initiative. Isn't the point, however, to attract new talent to the club - are Pete's sons going to play anywhere else (although one did a year at Syd Uni). Hopefully, we can stop the flow of our schoolboys slipping through to the hated Norths. Keep up the good work - great to see the Pixleys and others back on the field.

Having Rohan and Tristan Pixley in my backline is pure luck - they are being held out by some good performances up the grades. With tonight's game and Norths on Saturday things are heating up in the selection meetings.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
One thing the past few weeks of coaching has taught me about Lower Grade football. The process goes as follows

1. New Prop arrives at club
2. Get Phone-number
3. Stalk.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Looks like a busy afternoon for the ref this weekend when the 2 Blues play the Pirates at Concord , as they are the
2 most heavily penalised teams in the Shute Shield by far.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One thing the past few weeks of coaching has taught me about Lower Grade football. The process goes as follows

1. New Prop arrives at club
2. Get Phone-number
3. Stalk.

Our Subbies club is so desperate that we now offer two cases of beer for any new prop. Even still they are fucking hard to find, let alone good ones.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
quote="barbarian, post: 473247, member: 1509"]Our Subbies club is so desperate that we now offer two cases of beer for any new prop. Even still they are fucking hard to find, let alone good ones.
.[/quote]
I was watching a Colts game last weekend and overheard whom I think is gristlechewer state "The world needs thick necked men". I agree wholeheartedly. This man should not bred out.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Would getting rid of the "power hit" from the scrum and reverting to the scrum being a simple pushing and hooking contest help keep fatties in the game?
I think the power hit came in with the juice junkies in the late 80's early 90's. this is pre WADA etc lining up in the halls of clubs testing. These guys were smashing Stan and Clen like a THP does a pie in the olden days. Now they do it and seemingly get away with it. Headed for another thread maybe?

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I was gladdened to hear on this mornings radio show, 'The Big Sports Breakfast', when Michael Slater and TK advertised the Randwick Easts game at Coogee Oval tomorrow. I have no doubt this will attract a big crowd and hopefully some of the Roosters finge fans. Well done for putting a game on.
It really makes me sick to see the Swans and St Kilda cashing in on the Anzac tradition by holding a game in NZ. The pathetic and tenuous link between NZ / Aus and AFL makes me cringe - but it does make me wonder why arent we playing a Super Rugby game against a KIWI team every ANZAC day? I mean rugby is the only sport the two countries have in common. please dont tell me the mungos is a legit relationship..

Status
Not open for further replies.