• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
did you leave out Nathan Charles because he is injured? I think McCalman and Dennis would probably make the team. Luke Jones plays for Manly.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
TC - struggling to understand where you got this from?

"Wicks had 7 players who were regular 1st graders last year, 8 players making their 1st grade debut at the Wicks."

Asa, Halangahu, Aho, Taavili, Speechley, Lam, Browne, Ford, Hepetema, Wright, Kotezcky have all played 1st grade.
Paila & Bennett had both played 1st grade, leaving just Boileau & Lautolo to make their 1st grade debuts.

Asa, Taavili, Aho, Kotezcky, Boileau, Lautolo, Paila were all making their 1st grade debuts at the Wicks.
I might have been wrong about Tom Bennett but I didn't think he had a run on start last year in 1st grade.
The point I was making was the lack of experience as a combination and I believe Wests had the same issue as some of their new players had also played first grade elsewhere.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Asa, Taavili, Aho, Kotezcky, Boileau, Lautolo, Paila were all making their 1st grade debuts at the Wicks.
I might have been wrong about Tom Bennett but I didn't think he had a run on start last year in 1st grade.
The point I was making was the lack of experience as a combination and I believe Wests had the same issue as some of their new players had also played first grade elsewhere.

Just re-read my original post.
I meant "Wicks had 7 players who were regular 1st graders at Randwick last year".

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well, the way to select four teams to participate in a national club competition would be to just take the top four finishing teams from the Shute Shield.
Yep, and have it played after the
AFL Grandfinal
NRL Grandfinal
Shute Shied ""
Super ""
A very captive audiance with limited sporting competion.
Pulver still likes the idea of 2nd XV super sides playing curtain raisers, why not support the club comps?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yep, and have it played after the
AFL Grandfinal
NRL Grandfinal
Shute Shied ""
Super ""
A very captive audiance with limited sporting competion.
Pulver still likes the idea of 2nd XV super sides playing curtain raisers, why not support the club comps?

I'm a fan of the concept of the condensing of talent to provide higher level competition but am not particularly happy with the solution being played as a curtain raiser. Seems just a waste to me. So in this case, I'd prefer the club competition.

The only issue is the talent would miss out (though it could be argued that the majority would be involved regardless) but if a loan arrangement could be made then it wouldn't be too bad.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Can we move third tier discussions to the third tier thread, and leave this thread for the current seasons week by week goings on and banter for the Shute Shield competition?

Well said Hugh!
As I said in a previous post, thank god the season has started so we can forget about the bloody 3rd bloody tier and watch some rugby!

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Well, the way to select four teams to participate in a national club competition would be to just take the top four finishing teams from the Shute Shield.
The point of my original comment to you was to indicate that talk about top 4 competitions between clubs has already been discussed/ dismissed
on it's own thread recently .Presumably you didn't understand my post.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce - agree - that will be a great game - was wondering how Will Skelton is progressing. I thought that he might struggle with mobility especially playing at the pace of first grade.
Macca, having just viewed the tape of Uni's game against Parramatta, I am convinced that big Will will have no problems with mobility or fitness as he moves into higher levels of the game. He gave great weight in the scrum; had a very large number of involvements, particularly in the second half, and seemed to get busier and be more effective as the game went on. I think we may be seeing the emergence of an exceptional tight head lock.

All we need now is a couple of props who can lift him.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Dave Dennis, Nathan Charles also add Laurie Weeks and Sam Carter to that pack.

Forgot about Nathan Charles, Dave Dennis, Sam Carter... Although we'll wait in anticipation of next season to see how badly Dave Dennis would like to "run out for the Waratahs as captain with Penrith next to my name" quoted from the paper a few weeks back.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Macca, having just viewed the tape of Uni's game against Parramatta, I am convinced that big Will will have no problems with mobility or fitness as he moves into higher levels of the game. He gave great weight in the scrum; had a very large number of involvements, particularly in the second half, and seemed to get busier and be more effective as the game went on. I think we may be seeing the emergence of an exceptional tight head lock.

All we need now is a couple of props who can lift him.

Would it be possible to see some clips of that footage involving Skelton or is that for the private use of Uni?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Do all the grade matches have videos ? I know first grade does but what about the others?
If they are it would be great to see them on the inet. Rival coaches not withstanding.
And what happened to last years additional shute sheld games on Vimeo ( I THINK)?

Apparently Wicks have a second rower who is 6'11" in the old scale. On the bench today I am told.
Might have to go and check him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.