• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mick Snowden is at Waikato, Locky McCaffrey is at Eastwood, CTM is at Norths

Snowden and McCaffrey are no longer contracted to the force. The Honey Badger was coming back from wallabies camp - apparently.

Allcock and Longbottom keen to play for the woodies but not allowed to. Foley is a joke.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Snowden and McCaffrey are no longer contracted to the force. The Honey Badger was coming back from wallabies camp - apparently.

Allcock and Longbottom keen to play for the woodies but not allowed to. Foley is a joke.

Alcock and Longbottom would make a lot of difference. Hope he changes his mind.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I don't think CTM was used much by the Force, was he?
I know he played for Norths against the Wicks in May.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I presume, Dave, that the highlighted comments are directed at me. No, I was not on the hill. It is in fact many years since I watched a game from there. I sat in the Grandstand where as usual supporters on both sides were very civilised and appreciative of one of the truly great games of club rugby. But you don't necessarily have to have heard something personally to be in a position to comment on it, if you take the time as I habitually do to check from a number of sources before making an allegation.

I don't normally buy into inter-club arguments but I'm prepared to when necessary. In the present case there were two allegations that drew me out:

Firstly, there was pointed criticism of Tom Carter for not attending the after match function. This surprised me because, unlike most players in this post-breathalyser era, Carter makes a habit of having a drink with the opposition even after being abused by their supporters all afternoon. So I checked and was told that he was there and spoke to Phil Blake for some time.

Secondly, there was the comment that he acted like a "pork chop" after the game in going across to those who had been baiting him. The whole purpose of the incessant abuse is to provoke a reaction, and in such a situation I think his reaction was understandable and justified. But others think he should have bowed his head and skulked off.

"what happens on the paddock stays on the paddock" - but we're not talking about what happened on the paddock. We're concerned with what happened off the field within earshot of women and children, and a mob picking on an individual who's expected to cop it without reacting. I'm prepared to say that's not on, even "on an open forum".

Was away from civilisation yesterday and on reading the thread this morning was a surprised by the amount of chat on the TC issue; I didn't mean to set of a debate which others have observed has distracted from discussion of one of the best SS games I have seen for quite a while. Bruce, I appreciated your comment about TC's identical twin talking to Blakey (perhaps about coaching opportunities at the MMM's) and why you took the position you have on the matter . I may have left the venue before he arrived - certainly some of the players drifted in late after the speeches and boat race. So I unhesitatingly withdraw any suggestion or imputation he did not front and participate with his team mates.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Catchpole Medal function is normally the week of the GF.

Speaking of which, tips?

I actually have a bit of an issue with the Catchpole Medal as invariably it goes to a good player in a poor team (Dave Harvey for example) That player stands out more against their peers as opposed to players in the top 4 teams who often share the points each week amongst other strong players in their team.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Speaking of which, tips?

I actually have a bit of an issue with the Catchpole Medal as invariably it goes to a good player in a poor team (Dave Harvey for example) That player stands out more against their peers as opposed to players in the top 4 teams who often share the points each week amongst other strong players in their team.

I'll have a go (so none of these will win!):
Jared Barry -- Catchpole Medal
David Horwitz -- rookie
Phil Blake -- coach

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'll have a go (so none of these will win!):
Jared Barry -- Catchpole Medal
David Horwitz -- rookie
Phil Blake -- coach

Kotonie Ale, & Dave Porecki, Brian Sef, have had good years. Held his own against a S15 front row on the weekend.
Briggs (Wests) had a pretty good year.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Will there be any more players missing the finals due to signing for a European team?
Hepetema went this week and I hear a couple more due to announce departures soon...

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Will there be any more players missing the finals due to signing for a European team?
Hepetema went this week and I hear a couple more due to announce departures soon.

Any them happen to be marlins or students?? Eastwood lost players quite early so I'm surprised people are still departing

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hepetema went this week and I hear a couple more due to announce departures soon.
We're going to see more and more of this. Parra lost Sosene Anesi to a Romanian club and Chris Setueni to French Div 2 mid season. There are any number of agents in Australia looking for fodder for Euros.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
We're going to see more and more of this. Parra lost Sosene Anesi to a Romanian club and Chris Setueni to French Div 2 mid season. There are any number of agents in Australia looking for fodder for Euros.

We need to really sort something out in order to keep talent on our shores. We've been losing it for years but it seems to be picking up in the numbers now leaving.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
We need to really sort something out in order to keep talent on our shores. We've been losing it for years but it seems to be picking up in the numbers now leaving.
Here's an idea.
1. Start & Finish Shute in line with Soup.
2. 3rd Tier comp starts.
3. Japan has 2019 RWC
4. Their season doesn't conflict with ours (I.e. George Smith).
5. Instead of them spending millions taking our players away.
6. Let them invest millions into our 3T, and,
7. Include an academy team in our 3T in prep for their 2019 RWC.
8. Their investment may assist
a. $ in retaining players
b. increase TV rights potential / appeal abroad.
c. no doubt others as well.
Why would they pay SBW 1.5m I think it was for part of a season, when they could invest that in their academy over hear and possibly receive far greater benefit and exposure.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Speaking of which, tips?

Players in the top teams usually have an abundance of Super players in/out of their teams throughout the year meaning none of their players really get a constant run in Shute Shield to gain points? Gotta be playing a fair bit of Shute Shield to get enough Catchpole points to figure at end of season

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Here's an idea.
1. Start & Finish Shute in line with Soup.
2. 3rd Tier comp starts.
3. Japan has 2019 RWC
4. Their season doesn't conflict with ours (I.e. George Smith).
5. Instead of them spending millions taking our players away.
6. Let them invest millions into our 3T, and,
7. Include an academy team in our 3T in prep for their 2019 RWC.
8. Their investment may assist
a. $ in retaining players
b. increase TV rights potential / appeal abroad.
c. no doubt others as well.
Why would they pay SBW 1.5m I think it was for part of a season, when they could invest that in their academy over hear and possibly receive far greater benefit and exposure.

The question would be how do you entice the corporates to look to invest in our third tier that and how do you make it an attractive alternative to the Top League. I think you have an interesting concept though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The question would be how do you entice the corporates to look to invest in our third tier that and how do you make it an attractive alternative to the Top League. I think you have an interesting concept though.

Corporates to look to invest - Corporates will invest in quality, so it has to be done the right way. I'm lead to believe exposure is through TV rights now and with Jpn involvement corporates from which country? But we cant ignore the grass roots (the youth, & club rugby) as they feed the 3T

Top League - I haven't studied their season/s dates. What I have seen though is;
- SBW play union last year, earn some huge Yen, and then be back for the start of league this year.
- G. Smith - Play a season out here and then head back to Japan to play over there.
So an attractive alternative to the Top League, if our 3T goes from Sept / Oct / early Nov, does it have to be an alternative? Can it not be their Pre Season, or their academy in prep for the 2019 RWC.

Just my ideas / yeah wrong thread / but great exposure given its finals time (up the Marlins, so I'm on topic lily ).
I like the idea of a 3rd Tier - we have a window.
I don't like loosing our players off shore - so invite the culprits here, and give their corporate / currency international exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.