• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Souths backs too good for Randwick.
Souths sloppy at times which will be punished by uni if they repeat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Many are praising the Wicks for investing in youth under Kelly Rugby, but the Hobbits seemed to have a fair few young players in their squad, running on the Alalatoa off the bench, De Wet Roos, Apo, Holloway (injured), Ben VolvoVolvo etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Kepu and the Soup players looked a class above.

Hobbits looking good. Very confident attack.

Rohan Saifoli has to be on someone's radar for Super Rugby honours. He's a very good attacking 5/8. It's going to be a good battle between he and Foley next week.

I thought Horwitz had a quiet game with flashes of skill and vision but he was operating behind the inferior pack and Souths were pushing up hard most of the game. The element to his game that was impressive in contact.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Many are praising the Wicks for investing in youth under Kelly Rugby, but the Hobbits seemed to have a fair few young players in their squad, running on the Alalatoa off the bench, De Wet Roos, Apo, Holloway (injured), Ben VolvoVolvo etc.

The difference with most of those it that this is their 2nd or even 3rd year in grade while for a number of the Randwick boy's this is their or their first with regular game time. There are a few good young blokes in the Wicks lineup. Horwitz is the obvious but I really liked the look of Munro and Paile when he came on. Add Samu and Lautolo (he's a strong boy, needs to be given the opportunity to run onto the line at pace more) to that list and the future is certainly looking a lot brighter than 12 months ago.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Rohan Saifoloi was the pick of the 10's yesterday, he ran the game well and scored two tries. His normally accurate kicking boot was a bit off yesterday but it was quite windy I believe. He should be pushing for a Super Rugby contract somewhere.

He outplayed Horwitz, who threw one beautiful cut out pass that showed the composure and vision of the young lad. But for the most of the game Randwick struggled to get onto the front foot, so he wasn't able to do as much behind a beaten pack.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Cummins was just excellent, he gave Souths wonderful go forward, something the Wobs could really do with

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I thought SD gave us a text book lesson in how to handle "rush up" or "hook" defence. Rohan consistantly got in behind the outside defender who had rushed up, then cut back in field and picked up a forward runner (he didn't always need one). Then once you've stopped the hook defence pattern you can give your outside backs the ball, and when one of your wingers is Cummins he can go to town.
There's no point in giving the outside backs the ball if the defence is rushing up, you have to work the space in behind. and Rohan did it brilliantly.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly going back in the ages today, players playing the full 80. Well done and a special mention to the front row who stood up in the absence if Tim and Eddie.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Is it Uni v Manly again or GF reply? That should be a great contest. Haha, see Tom Carter after the drop goal give it to the Manly fans? Why was it played at Manly Oval? Can't wait for the finals, want the woodies to win!

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Well that was a really useful post Filth given the wasted thread inches on the subject of TC which to my discredit I contributed . Catch up .....I want Souths to win but so what .

Manly played like a team who did play a GF last weekend but it was the sort of game they needed to prepare for Woodies with Easts playing theirs. In a beaten side I thought McKibbon apparently playing on pain killers and Hodgson were outstanding. For Manly Jones and Reid a couple of the best and special mention to Jimmy Gentle for playing out a full 80 with no game time in 4 weeks.

Coogee was picture perfect, emergency replenishment of stocks at the bar and a good humoured Fathers Day crowd made for an enjoyable afternoon. Manly close but strong wins in 1,2 and 3's .

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cheers Galah, I saw the highlights and thought I'd mention it just as a lark. I didn't see the shit-bagging of TC, but I don't hate him at all compared to some.

Hooper would be a great ad to Manly if they made it through to the GF. But unfortunately that ain't gonna happen. Reckon George Smith could have a run?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cheers Galah, I saw the highlights and thought I'd mention it just as a lark. I didn't see the shit-bagging of TC, but I don't hate him at all compared to some.

Hooper would be a great ad to Manly if they made it through to the GF. But unfortunately that ain't gonna happen. Reckon George Smith could have a run?

He'd be busy in pre-season with Suntory. I'd be surprised if he showed. It would be amazing but highly unlikely.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)

Thanks Filth , I like a lot of Marlins are a humour free zone over that game :) ! Actually now the dust has settled along with the TC posts it may yet be the making of the MMM's - a struggle against the Beasts who were well up for it yesterday is the sort of game needed to sharpen the focus. Woodies won't want to take MMM's lightly (which they won't). All we need now is to get our best front row on the paddock - while Hooper , George or even Katoni Ale would be nice the breakdown ain't our weakness.

Souths will push Uni but gee it seems the latter has the home game!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Stay on message my friends. Manly will struggle on Sunday if they have a hangover. I see Easts have named Mitchell Chapman and Tala Grey. Quality. Lets hope Andrew Lees doesn't destroy another game of rugby. He needs to stop channelling Carly Simon.
Well - A Lees I think destroyed the game.
Hangover was cured with a greasy breakfast, unfortunately the boys used their fingers and didn't wash their hand before running out.
As said earlier, good to see the front row doing the full 80 minutes.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Home finals for Eastwood and Uni this weekend; although it might seem reasonable that the top 2 teams get home finals it's not exactly designed that way. I wasn't impressed with the pitch at TG Milner the previous weekend and the cricket pitch area at Manly oval looked hard and dusty. I haven't seen Uni number 1 oval in a few weeks but my guess is it isn't any better than the others.

Concord on the other hand looks in beautiful nick. How about the entire grade finals series be played at Concord? Forshaw manage it with the colts and there's 12 games played on that opening weekend. Grade might have to allocate one other ground on the first weekend but Concord can handle the other 28 games over the 4 weeks.

Yes West Harbour will benefit but I don't think their home ground advantage is as significant as it is at other grounds like Manly, TG Milner or Uni.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting write up in the rugby news on the weekend reflecting John Manenti's thoughts about Super Coaches not releasing players. Good and possibly very accurate point - Chris Alcock prior to his move to the Force possibly rated 3rd choice 7 for Wallaby Gold (John, possibly 4th if we include Pocock though), but now he's out of site, out of mind and John has given 3rd choice 7 to Jordy Ried.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks Filth , I like a lot of Marlins are a humour free zone over that game :) ! Actually now the dust has settled along with the TC posts it may yet be the making of the MMM's - a struggle against the Beasts who were well up for it yesterday is the sort of game needed to sharpen the focus. Woodies won't want to take MMM's lightly (which they won't). All we need now is to get our best front row on the paddock - while Hooper , George or even Katoni Ale would be nice the breakdown ain't our weakness.

Souths will push Uni but gee it seems the latter has the home game!

Heh Galah, I actually thought Easts dominated the breakdown yesterday which was what kept them in the game and destroyed Manly's continuity. Haven't seen the breakdown stats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.