• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Gotta admit that's funny, throwing the ball out to end the game, subsequently getting a penalty against you and losing the game!

I completely sympathise with that bloke.

I once scored an awesome "try" after getting a little spatially disoriented in a maul and "scored" by diving out from the back of the maul across the touch line in the corner. Fortunately it was not the difference between winning and losing the game. I saw a white line, and that was what I went for.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Who are the tips for the Ken Catchpole Medal for Player of the Year, Shute Shield Rookie Of the Year, Dave Brockhoff Medal for Coach of the Year and Dick Byers Medal for Ref of the Year?

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
And no award for the Eastwood score board operator who could have cost West Harbour the match.
Agree to disagree on that one Done that - you must be making reference to the goal taken from the wrong spot that was never awarded - and the farce that followed . Both teams very poorly served by a ref hopelessly out of his depth but Manly in confusion over what time remained robbed by that last "penalty"after knock forward . Anyway good luck v Uni this week you'll need more than the ref going your way methinks

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Agree to disagree on that one Done that - you must be making reference to the goal taken from the wrong spot that was never awarded - and the farce that followed . Both teams very poorly served by a ref hopelessly out of his depth but Manly in confusion over what time remained robbed by that last "penalty"after knock forward . Anyway good luck v Uni this week you'll need more than the ref going your way methinks
No I'm making reference to the fact that Wests had a kickable penalty which would have given them the lead if successful , but because of the incorrect score on the scoreboard they believed that the penalty ,
would only have given them a draw ,& Manly , being ahead of them on the table , would have progressed to the grand final .Thus they took a tap kick.
The game was confusing near the end , but the last penalty was the correct decision I'm afraid.I've seen a semi final lost in exactly the same way , before , at Coogee oval.
I agree that whoever played Uni would be at long odds.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Blades is a good choice but, at the risk of appearing biased, Christini must be in with a chance. AJ is also very good, but Dave Harvey has been outstanding again this year.
Why all these wraps on Dave Harvey?
He kicks goals but doesn't stand up in big games when it matters.
Norths were desperate for someone to grab control of their game last weekend and I thought he went MIA, again.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Why all these wraps on Dave Harvey?
He kicks goals but doesn't stand up in big games when it matters.
Norths were desperate for someone to grab control of their game last weekend and I thought he went MIA, again.

I agree!
Like Berrick Barnes for the Wallabies his first instinct is to kick the ball and Uni killed Norths with their counter attacks last week.
I also doubt he played enough games this year to win.

With the comparative talent at their disposal and how the teams performed last year I'd have to favour Christini over Blades. In fact I'd rate Fava ahead of Blades.

Agree with Jordy Reid for rookie.

I like to see Tom Alexander win the Catchpole as best player but it's usually dominated by inside backs and loose forwards. Although he played a fair bit on the side of the scrum I doubt he'll get the referee's votes.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Who are the tips for the Ken Catchpole Medal for Player of the Year, Shute Shield Rookie Of the Year, Dave Brockhoff Medal for Coach of the Year and Dick Byers Medal for Ref of the Year?

I'm glad you asked Ryan. And to put it out there from the start, I am somewhat biased as I helped Manly get Jordy Reid a few years back. I think it would be hard to go past him for rookie.

As for coach, I think Christini is a real chance. The votes were due in before the semi's started and for that reason I think he'll get it. Plus I think it has to be considered what the coaches have to work with. Whilst not denying Fava and Blades have done tremendous jobs, the fact remains that if Christini had the cheque book that the other two had available the Two Blues will be playing this weekend!

Catchpole - My money will be on Leota from Parra. I personally dont think Gilbert stood out as much as last year. Harvey missed half the season as did Perrett. Leota was consistent all year and we all know Parra received a lot of media attention. A bolter could be Sofoloi from Souths.

Ref's Award - talk about rewarding mediocrity. One thing for sure, it ain't gonna be Angus Gardner or Jamie McGregor

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Treweek from Wests for the Catchpole.

Red hair stands out, and the refs pick it.

And for the Brockhoff,can't go past Christini. Mainly because it was judged by his peers before the play-offs.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd have to go for Steve Walsh for best referee even though he didn't do many Shute Shield games.
I like the way he communicates with the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.