• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes but the taxpayer also stumped up $45 million for the abortive Diveball World cup 2018 bid.

The Ratepayer is also an uncredited major sponsor for many clubs. Ground Rentals are nowhere near market rates. In some cases councils even waive ground rental charges in total.

Taxpayer/ratepayer "sponsorship" of sport is nothing new and long may it thrive.

Rugby administrators just need to make sure that that is wisely spent. I'm not entirely convinced that Rugby has a genuine strategic plan for the whatever Government funding it will receive for Rugby 7's at Rio 2016.
True but taxpayer funding to one club (even if historical only)as opposed to a code or campaign is another. I think Uni's advantage re facilities over Death Valley or other venues not to mention access to gyms and keen young medical , sports science etc students etc is palpable . The poor old Ratties (not a fan) have been raped, pillaged and plundered by Pittwater Council for years, they are lucky to have had the Bayfields .

Not sure about the relevance of Diveball bid Hugh, other than it failed because of politics that would make Putin blush however, if Rugby 7's grant is to be wisely spent it should go on rugby players not leaguies who convert one year out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Diveball is not relevant at all. :)

The point of reference to the bid is that the Taxpayer has been funding sport in numerous guises. Don't just single out the alleged sponsorship/subsidy that Uni enjoy as if that was the only example of Taxpayer funding/sponsorship. FFS the Hawthorn Footy Club is sponsored by The State of Tasmania.

Different councils have different approaches to different clubs. Randwick council seem to be rather generous in its treatment of the Wicks, other clubs appear to be totally shafted.

Rugby 7's money needs to be spent on the developing the capability of rugby 7's in Aust rather than just the two 2016 teams.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The point is Uni partially as a result of the scars of the 80's and 90's has hitherto exploited a major selling point ( adding points to your UAI, getting a degree from a leading Uni when you'd struggle at TAFE etc ) in tems of recruiting the best players . As more thinking wags from visiting teams are fond of commenting Uni's best sponsor isn't Buildcorp its the taxpayer.
Usually I refrain from commenting on lies and misinformation such as this but unfortunately people tend to believe what they read if it is left unchallenged.

"adding points to your UAI" Presumably what is being referred to is Sydney University's EAPS scheme. Under this scheme elite athletes and performers such as dancers and musicians who can demonstrate that the training or playing demands of their discipline were so great that they could be expected to have adversely affected the student's ATAR - not the UAI which went out years ago - can be granted up to 5 additional points. Most other universities have similar schemes. This concession is available to any student in any sport completely irrespective of which club they decide to play for or even if they no longer continue to play.

The University of Sydney is subject to the provisions of ICAC (Independent Commission against Corruption). If the University were to administer this scheme so as to favour those who join its sporting clubs that would almost certainly be regarded as corrupt conduct. You obviously must have evidence to back your assertion, Galah. I challenge you to provide that evidence to ICAC. Put up or shut up.

"getting a degree from a leading Uni when you'd struggle at TAFE" This can have no meaning other than an allegation that Sydney Uni academics are so corrupt that they improperly pass students who should be failed. This again is a matter that should be reported to ICAC. Over to you, Galah. I presume you would not make such a serious allegation unless you had evidence.

"Uni's best sponsor is the taxpayer" Again, Galah, I challenge you to provide evidence of even one dollar of taxpayers' money that has ever been provided to the Sydney Uni Rugby Club or any of the 43 other sporting clubs at Sydney University. I have been President of Sydney Uni Sport and its predecessor bodies for the past 22 years and I claim that there has not been a single dollar of taxpayers' money provided for sport at the University in that time. You apparently know better, Galah. Prove me wrong.

You speak of "more thinking wags from visiting teams". Do you mean people like the Manly fans at the semi against Uni at Coogee Oval who coped with their team being outclassed by keeping up a running flow of such commentary throughout the game? Others among them thought it would be great fun to try to distract a Uni player by loudly roaring out vile comments about the player's wife. "Thinking wags" indeed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You speak of "more thinking wags from visiting teams". Do you mean people like the Manly fans at the semi against Uni at Coogee Oval who coped with their team being outclassed by keeping up a running flow of such commentary throughout the game? Others among them thought it would be great fun to try to distract a Uni player by loudly roaring out vile comments about the player's wife. "Thinking wags" indeed.

Bruce, I sat in the stand the communication that was coming out of uni supporter mouths was not what you would learn at a University, we obviously both have parochial supporters.

In 7 minutes due to 2 miss reads and one brain snap in our 22 it went from 10 - 7, too 31 - 7, game over and better team did win on that day.

I admire uni for what they have achieved, hate them for who they are, and always love the challenge come game day, I do believe there is respect both ways as well.

I do hope we meet again this year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

"Uni's best sponsor is the taxpayer" Again, Galah, I challenge you to provide evidence of even one dollar of taxpayers' money that has ever been provided to the Sydney Uni Rugby Club or any of the 43 other sporting clubs at Sydney University. .....
I thought one or two of the faculties were formal sponsors of the Rugby Club??

blindside

Stan Wickham (3)
Bruce, you can continue to outline each point here but the real problem is Uni's clear rorting of the player points system. From 1st grade right down to your 3rd grade colts there are players playing under points that they shouldn't. Have you explained the Hangaana situation. Trotting out for 3rd grade colts in tomorrow's grand final after coming from Souths 20's. And a 1st grade league game if I'm not mistaken. All throughout your club there are these type of scenarios and that's the real issue. Even up the comp and stop taking the piss!!! It is clearly killing off the comp. What happens when ABC pull the pin??

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Bruce, you can continue to outline each point here but the real problem is Uni's clear rorting of the player points system. From 1st grade right down to your 3rd grade colts there are players playing under points that they shouldn't. Have you explained the Hangaana situation. Trotting out for 3rd grade colts in tomorrow's grand final after coming from Souths 20's. And a 1st grade league game if I'm not mistaken. All throughout your club there are these type of scenarios and that's the real issue. Even up the comp and stop taking the piss!!! It is clearly killing off the comp. What happens when ABC pull the pin??
Not sure about any rorting of the player points system but Uni are simply getting away with what they can under the rules provided.
Until a modified or new set of criteria are introduced it will be more of the same Blindside.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Whilst lurking on the ARU website and reading the Annual Reports (Great reports and a fascinating read) I stumbled on mention of an organisation called AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITIES RUGBY UNION President Trevor Walsh Vice President Peter Hone Secretary Patrick Howard.

There is a statement made in their report that "The AURU squad was represented by 10 university Rugby clubs and performed admirably...."

Probs slightly off Shute Shield topic but if the Aust Uni Rugby Union is selected from the 10 university Rugby Clubs, does that mean that a smokie who is a decent sort of player that is university student but not a member of one of the university rugby clubs has no chance of representing AURU. Similarly can a non university student at a University Rugby Club be selected for AURU?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If Uni make the Grand Final we will all have a team to cheer for - the other team, and as per last year, I think everyone felt good when the Woodies won.
If Norths play Manly or Southern in the final - the club supporters will follow their team and all others will gennerally sit on the fence.
I commend Uni for what they have acheived, and they have played the system and points dont lie - but I hate them for what they are.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Usually I refrain from commenting on lies and misinformation such as this but unfortunately people tend to believe what they read if it is left unchallenged.

"adding points to your UAI" Presumably what is being referred to is Sydney University's EAPS scheme. Under this scheme elite athletes and performers such as dancers and musicians who can demonstrate that the training or playing demands of their discipline were so great that they could be expected to have adversely affected the student's ATAR - not the UAI which went out years ago - can be granted up to 5 additional points. Most other universities have similar schemes. This concession is available to any student in any sport completely irrespective of which club they decide to play for or even if they no longer continue to play.

The University of Sydney is subject to the provisions of ICAC (Independent Commission against Corruption). If the University were to administer this scheme so as to favour those who join its sporting clubs that would almost certainly be regarded as corrupt conduct. You obviously must have evidence to back your assertion, Galah. I challenge you to provide that evidence to ICAC. Put up or shut up.

"getting a degree from a leading Uni when you'd struggle at TAFE" This can have no meaning other than an allegation that Sydney Uni academics are so corrupt that they improperly pass students who should be failed. This again is a matter that should be reported to ICAC. Over to you, Galah. I presume you would not make such a serious allegation unless you had evidence.

"Uni's best sponsor is the taxpayer" Again, Galah, I challenge you to provide evidence of even one dollar of taxpayers' money that has ever been provided to the Sydney Uni Rugby Club or any of the 43 other sporting clubs at Sydney University. I have been President of Sydney Uni Sport and its predecessor bodies for the past 22 years and I claim that there has not been a single dollar of taxpayers' money provided for sport at the University in that time. You apparently know better, Galah. Prove me wrong.

Bruce peace in our time please . Working backwards the "thinking wags" was a reference to a relatively more witty sledge I heard earlier in the season rather than some of the drivel that I admit can come out of the mouths of a (fortunately) few Marlins supporters - and i accept apparently did. All clubs have 'em and I know the Manly Board is trying to stamp it out. I watched the game from the eastern side of Coogee and it seems like Tommy Carter had the last laugh at aforesaid fans. As a newcomer to GGR I appreciate your posts and insights but Uni is not a sacred cow . If you want to go on the attack as a passionate Uni man you may also care to reflect on the behaviour of some of your own ; exhibit one the loon in the yellow jacket who sat in the grandstand at Coogee that day swigging from his hip flask causing offence to a number of older women. Let's not go down that path it demeans us all .

I'm not sure a forum like this requires all participants to cross check facts and submit to editorial analysis of the standard demanded by media watch but having said that I stand corrected on the UAI/ATAR point and perhaps the degree v struggle at TAFE was a cheap shot. I do however, stand by my position one with which many seem to agree , that Uni partially because of the very privileged position it is in as a university , enjoys significant advantages other clubs simply don't have and can attract players accordingly . This with its excellent facilities, funding and structures has allowed it to dominate Sydney club rugby unfortunately for too long. It has not necessarily been good for the game below super 15 in this state. Uni has set a benchmark to which others aspire and hopefully can reach before it is too late for Shute Shield as we know it. if they do then Uni's legacy to the game will be writ even larger

See you at TG !

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This with its excellent facilities, funding and structures has allowed it to dominate Sydney club rugby unfortunately for too long. It has not necessarily been good for the game below super 15 in this state. Uni has set a benchmark to which others aspire and hopefully can reach before it is too late for Shute Shield as we know it. if they do then Uni's legacy to the game will be writ even larger

See you at TG !

The Camperdown Clique's domination of the Shute Shield does not seem to have been particularly good for the Waratahs, either, frankly.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thank you for the generosity of your comments, TG. I admit that at times I cringe at the behaviour and comments of some University supporters, particularly when it reflects intolerance and arrogance.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
TG yeah that goose in the yellow suit at Coogee was sitting behind me. Good recovery from both of you, I think it shows the respect and the passion both clubs show each other. Also what happen on the field stays on the field.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think one of the biggest things university clubs benefit from is the fact the they do not have to fork out for utilities and maintenance bills as it is covered by the university as it is there facilities as well

Status
Not open for further replies.