• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am somewhat biased as I helped Manly get Jordy Reid a few years back. I think it would be hard to go past him for rookie.

Knuckles, to my knowledge Jordy played Seaforth Raiders from under 9's, Manly Junior reps U10, U11, U12, 1st XV for Shore then to Manly Colts...doubt he ever considered playing for any club but Manly!!

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Why all these wraps on Dave Harvey?
He kicks goals but doesn't stand up in big games when it matters.
Norths were desperate for someone to grab control of their game last weekend and I thought he went MIA, again.
He can turn a game and scored all the points again last week. Nonetheless the award is for a whole season performance so maybe Gilbert... or Leota.

G

G&GR News Bot

Tim Davidson will lead Sydney University into the Shute Shield Grand Final for an impressive eighth successful year when they take on Southern Districts on Saturday. The 28-year-old No.8 captained the first grade side to six premiership titles from 2005 to 2010, with last year’s extra-time loss at the hands of Eastwood the only title

Click this link to read the full article...

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I am unsure what you meant by this statement. Can you please clarify?
See my earlier posts re Mr O'Brien from QLD stuffing up the Manly v Wests 2nd grade elimination final on Sunday. Still a bit raw will get over it . Steve Walsh for mine .
Generally the idea of other provinces sending their refs to gain experience is a good one . The preceding week witnessed an excellent controlled performance from a QLD ref don't recall his name. Allowed an excellent flow of advantage , avoided blowing the pea out of the whistle

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. John Ulugia [c], 3. Tim Metcher; 4. Jed Holloway, 5. Andrew Leota; 6. Matt Swann, 7. Jono Hayes, 8. Lopeti Timani; 9. Grayson Hart, 10. Rohan Saifolio; 11. Ben Connolly, 12. Apo Latunipulu, 13. Nic Cummins, 14. Atieli Pakalani; 15. Ben Volalvola.

Sydney University: 1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Liam Winton, 5. Ollie Atkins; 6. Trent Dyer, 7. David Hickey, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Nic Stirzaker, 10. Dan Kelly; 11. Michael Hodge, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Tom Kingston; 15. Angus Roberts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ There will be some good horseflesh on display in the Group A Shute Shield Stakes on Saturday.

As much as I would like to see the Hobbits break the Students stranglehold on the Shield, you have got to think that the Students have too much horsepower - this year.

The Hobbits are a young team and if they can keep that team together they will be very tough to beat in years to come.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd love nothing more than seeing Souths win on Saturday, they've been fantastic nearly all year and play a really exciting brand of footy. However..... that Uni team looks mighty good and very, very strong physically. It will take a truly heroic effort to knock them off.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Tim Donlan from the Rats will poll very well, he was amongst their best every week and has an advantage over those players from the stronger clubs where the points are shared around a bit more.
His coach also did well, can't see how Christini could be rated above him. The Rats performed better than Parra with arguably a weaker player base. I'm confident they blooded more young guys than any other clubs as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Donlan played 2s for the 2nd half of the season mostly didn't he? Holmes and Sheehan came back.

I think it should go to someone who played just about the whole season in 1s.

--

I was giving Souths a slight chance if Douglas played but now it's looking like just a formality for Uni unfortunately. Douglas has really given them a hard edge in the pack to give them parity with most sides to allow the backs to do their thing. Uni will keep it tight, starve Souths' backs of possession and dominate the set-piece. Expect a few rolling maul tries.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tim Donlan from the Rats will poll very well, he was amongst their best every week and has an advantage over those players from the stronger clubs where the points are shared around a bit more.
His coach also did well, can't see how Christini could be rated above him. The Rats performed better than Parra with arguably a weaker player base. I'm confident they blooded more young guys than any other clubs as well.
Are you serious? Parra finished ahead of the Rats and had zero super rugby players. They finished last in 2011 and fifth in 2012. They had one grade of colts and no real depth in grade. 5 of Parras pack played Colts last year and they started 3 colts aged players in Sam Yakopo, Dom Graham and Moses Tavola in first grade. Christini is a magician.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Parra did finish 5th but they were by no means the 5th best team in the comp. Remember they were in the bottom half which means they didn't play the top 5 twice. Probably 7th-8th. They were on par with Warringah.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Parra did finish 5th but they were by no means the 5th best team in the comp. Remember they were in the bottom half which means they didn't play the top 5 twice. Probably 7th-8th. They were on par with Warringah.

Here's the thing......... you may be right, in fact you're probably right. BUT WE'LL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE!

That my friends, is the sign of a poorly run competition. Hell, even the AFL's "play everyone once and a random selection a 2nd time" model is better.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
ILTW..............love your parochialism for the green slime of Warringah. Lord knows they need all the help they can get. But seriously, I'll have what you're having if you seriously think:

1. Donlan played 1st grade for most of the season
  2. Warringah were a better team than Parra
  3. Sam Harris, lovely bloke, but you are seriously deranged if you think he's a better coach than Christini. Just ask his 1st Grade Colts coach about him!
  4. Blooded more young players.
Qwerty51, Parra were the 5th best team, it is where they finished in both minor premiership and finals series. The mighty Marlins spanked them in the semi, but even Parra blokes will concede they left their worst performance for that day. Sure, they didnt play the top 4 twice, but neither did Warringah.

There are only reasons why Warringah even made the semi's.
  1. they got back their super rugby rockstars for their run into the top 8
  2. easts lost 4 points per grade for excessive send offs.
Lets not forgot, Warringah conceded 75 in a finals match to Norths.......and despite Norths great season, of the top 6 clubs, they lacked the most penetration in attack. Norths' defence got them to 4th place and deservedly so.

IMHO, Warringah were crap.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I am somewhat biased as I helped Manly get Jordy Reid a few years back. I think it would be hard to go past him for rookie.

Knuckles, to my knowledge Jordy played Seaforth Raiders from under 9's, Manly Junior reps U10, U11, U12, 1st XV for Shore then to Manly Colts.doubt he ever considered playing for any club but Manly!!

yes Jordy was a Manly junior, but I can assure you, he was very close to going to another club. VERY close. No prizes for guessing which one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.