• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
And produced a lot more than certain leading "clubs" that I could name.

completely agree Wamberal. The Woods have incredibly loyal juniors who filter into their colts program, plus the added bonus of picking up the majority of the kings, iggies and joeys boys that dont get handouts from uni

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Wamberal had a dig last week about Siale and Du Plessis leaving Manly. Lui Siale played over 100 games for them and JP went there because he has a personal relationship with the coach. The so called mercenary theory needs to be backed up with proof not conjecture.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wamberal had a dig last week about Siale and Du Plessis leaving Manly. Lui Siale played over 100 games for them and JP went their because he has a personal relationship with the coach. The so called mercenary theory needs to be backed up with proof not conjecture.

Okay, so post the facts. By the way, I was responding to an earlier post. I can't be arsed putting my comment into context, but as a very, very, old club man I put a lot of store in club loyalty, and the role of the genuine clubs (of which Manly is one) of developing junior talent, and then nurturing it.

I deplore the current situation of clubs buying in players from other clubs. At the margins there can be benefits, of course, but on the whole the game would be healthier if players came up through the ranks.

As an aside, I can still remember (just) the days when players had to be residentially qualified. Believe it, or believe it not. If you wanted to play for Manly, for example, you had to live in Manly, as defined.

K

Keithy

A few more Eastwood purchases besides the coaches, Barry Fa'amuasili, Keiran Longbottom, Nick White, James Stannard amongst others. Rugby has moved on since the days of the district rules. Players should be free to play for a club who is willing to pay for their services. Anyway Eastwood are the team to catch this year.

W

waves

A few more Eastwood purchases besides the coaches, Barry Fa'amuasili, Keiran Longbottom, Nick White, James Stannard amongst others. Rugby has moved on since the days of the district rules. Players should be free to play for a club who is willing to pay for their services. Anyway Eastwood are the team to catch this year.

After watching the game on the weekend though you would have to say that Easts wont be in contention come finals time, they were missing players but I thought they were still very poor.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I've been super critical of Uni and their continued killing of the competition by their recruitment tactics.................and sorry bruce, I will continue to be so until the competition is a fair and equal competition for all clubs. However, in the case of Eastwood, a large number of the players currently playing 1st grade for them, whilst not being local juniors, approached the club to join them, or arrived unannounced like in the case of Wykes. Hola for example, was terrible last year for Parra, ended the season in 2nd grade in arguably their worst year on record, yet he still walked out of granville and into tg millner unannounced. From all reports, alcock did the same. Word is Faamusilli walked out on Uni because of constant arguments over his training ethic (I think Bruce may even have confirmed this in an earlier post). For the better part, they are the result of a well run and well coached club. Players want to join it. They have just won their 2nd consecutive minor premiership and there is an argument that they have the best team for 2 seasons now...............imagine the dominance they would have if they had federally funded facilities...............

U

Upright

Not so certain about Alcock plenty of talk that he was "advised" that his rep chances would be better if he went to Eastwood - even though he had played for the Waratahs while at Gordon! That said good on Eastwood they have done well with a team of very good first graders, fringe Super players and deserve their success. Everything is pointing to them playing the Waratahs, sorry Sydney University in the GF. Hopefully they will be able to make a game of it.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Not so certain about Alcock plenty of talk that he was "advised" that his rep chances would be better if he went to Eastwood - even though he had played for the Waratahs while at Gordon! That said good on Eastwood they have done well with a team of very good first graders, fringe Super players and deserve their success. Everything is pointing to them playing the Waratahs, sorry Sydney University in the GF. Hopefully they will be able to make a game of it.

where did that advice come from? If he was from the tahs or anyone other than Eastwood, then it aint Eastwood's fault.

They'll make a game of it. Just a few weeks ago they knocked off Uni at Millner. And they (Uni) had all their stars sitting on the bench to continue to give the young blokes a crack. As soon as Eastwood got in front, that went out the window and after 20 mins or so the replacements started to be made. And Eastwood still won. I really hope they win the GF, they deserve to and it will be a great game if it happens to be Eastwood v Uni................certainly better than dribble we had to endure on GF day last year!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did Dan Vickerman get a full game for Uni? Any reports as to how he went, despite the score blowout?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did Dan Vickerman get a full game for Uni? Any reports as to how he went, despite the score blowout?

The big man is really back in business, RR. His tackle count and tackle effectiveness were extraordinary. Age does not seem to mellow him though. Still as cranky as ever.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting comments. I know a number of high ranking Easts officials and they're always moaning how little money they do have! On the playing ranks though, they were nicely positioned at start of year with Morath brothers, To'omua etc. However they didnt bank on Kurt Morath making the Tongan World Cup team and the Brumbies going on a pissy little overseas tour that kept To'omua from playing club in the second half of the season......I think forwards like Stanford too got o/s gigs after the season started as well.
Don't know your source but Brumbies are not on any overseas trip, pissy or otherwise. I understand both the Rebels and Force have planned and are currently undertaking trips. To'omua is currently injured and was shown on the ABC attending the Easts v Eastwood game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The big man is really back in business, RR. His tackle count and tackle effectiveness were extraordinary. Age does not seem to mellow him though. Still as cranky as ever.

that's great mate. Thanks. He's copped some flack, or perhaps indifference, since his return. But speaking as one who was hesitant to claim him an instant test answer, I've been blown away by his performances. Not saying I think he should start for the Wallabies, but he HAS to be in the RWC team.

T

tranquility

Absolutely. The bloke is a champion, and more importantly he is a winner. That is an infectious quality.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Don't know your source but Brumbies are not on any overseas trip, pissy or otherwise. I understand both the Rebels and Force have planned and are currently undertaking trips. To'omua is currently injured and was shown on the ABC attending the Easts v Eastwood game.

My source is a north of the bridge GM. He claimed that the Rebels, Force and Brumbies informed the clubs they will be touring o/s. Japan was the suggested destination for the Brumbies

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
that's great mate. Thanks. He's copped some flack, or perhaps indifference, since his return. But speaking as one who was hesitant to claim him an instant test answer, I've been blown away by his performances. Not saying I think he should start for the Wallabies, but he HAS to be in the RWC team.

He was brought back to play in the RWC. It was just unfortunate that the geniuses at the Tahs couldn't add up and failed to do the sums on just how many games he would need to play to qualify for the semis........ He is a class player, no question.

What I can't understand (and I guess this echoes Ryan Cross' comments from the weekend) is that he was sent back to club rugby to get match fitness, yet Elsom who played something like 90 mins of Super rugby plays full tests (and poorly I might add). I dont understand why Vicks was sent back and Elsom was not. Sure, he's the captain, but he's not a very good one, and if Elsom was afforded the same luxury as Vicks, then Deans would have had the chance to see Horwill or Genia or whoever Captain the side......as you all know, a good preparation for a major tournament. Not to mention afford the time for Elsom to get his game together...........

Status
Not open for further replies.