• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, went to Randwick V Uni, good crowd at Coogee oval, but they ended up a bit quiet as Uni ran away with it in the 2nd half - was 13 points diff at one stage with 4 tries to 3 but ended up 65-17 with Uni scoring 9. Barnes played very well at 12 - did most things well, scored a couple, drew defenders well. Just solid. He looks fit.
Mitchell got on but had few opportunities, did not look the 7-10kg overweight that some had called during the week. Hard to say much more about him. Apart from the last 20 mins, which were pretty lop-sided, it was entertaining with both sides having a crack, and some pretty good defence at times, but a bit sloppy at others. Uni's set piece was pretty hard to crack, as expected, but Randwick were pretty solid too. Uni counter-rucked much more aggressively for turnovers. It looked as much like the Uni strength and conditioning got them well on top in the last 25 mins, as Randwick flagged a bit.
Robbie and Jim Williams were there, didn't let on much although I tried to pick up any snippets by loitering close by - no luck. I'd say they'd be happy with Barnes, but none the wiser with Mitchell. Phipps was OK - pretty good service, but that should be a given with a pack going forward most of the day.

Cyril Towers (30)
Thanks for the match report, cyclo. I'm currently in Rome so not much Shute shield news here. Go the students!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Steven Noriega if memory serves, looks to be at least 130kg. Anyone know much about about him, I'm guessing he's got the pedigree

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
yeh pretty sure he has played alot of 2s this season. big boy, negative lateral movement around the park has days where his scrummaging is good and days where its bad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a bit concerned for Penrith this weekend if Eastwood play a full strength side, 91-0 against West Harbour.. what chance is Penrith..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There is often a bit of bullshit about a new player at a club, both from the player and the coach, but everything mentioned in the article is spot on IMO.

He's a very aggressive player and plays in the 2nd row in the Shute Shield but can play 6 and is probably quick enough to play there in England. I have recommended him on the Brumbies thread as a likely recruit because they lack aggression in the second row. He's only 194cms at which some might turn their noses up, for a lock, but there's not a lot of neck in that height and who knows how long his reach is anyway?

I'm sad to see him leave the country as physical, old-fashioned, tough, hard-head forwards are in short supply in Oz.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
I'm sad to see him leave the country as physical, old-fashioned, tough, hard-head forwards are in short supply in Oz.

Will he still be around for the finals for Eastwood? It would be a bit of a pity for Eastwood to start losing players come the finals when some of the other sides start getting a lot of other players in. Especially with the form Eastwood have consistently shown during the season.

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm a bit concerned for Penrith this weekend if Eastwood play a full strength side, 91-0 against West Harbour.. what chance is Penrith..

have a look at boths clubs recent form IMO penrith could definantly be considered a better club then west harbour, I.E warringah V both the clubs penrith went down by 10 or something west harbour by a considerable amount. maybe west harbour have got off lucky that there slump has come at the end of the season.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
have a look at boths clubs recent form IMO penrith could definantly be considered a better club then west harbour, I.E warringah V both the clubs penrith went down by 10 or something west harbour by a considerable amount. maybe west harbour have got off lucky that there slump has come at the end of the season.
If you look at the players West Harbour actually put on the field against Eastwood (not the team listed in the programme) , you would not back them to beat Eastwood's seconds , i.e. contained many 2nd & 3rd grade players.
In the first round when they had most of their players available , Eastwood only managed to beat West Harbour well after the bell had sounded.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you look at the players West Harbour actually put on the field against Eastwood (not the team listed in the programme) , you would not back them to beat Eastwood's seconds , i.e. contained many 2nd & 3rd grade players.
In the first round when they had most of their players available , Eastwood only managed to beat West Harbour well after the bell had sounded.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.