• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Based on results The Students seem to be hitting their straps at the right time of the year and with Halangahu and Carter to come back they once again could prove very hard to beat. As a Eastwood supporter will be hoping that the likes of Barnes, Phipps, Dennis and Mumm can get in the World Cup Squad and based on last night that could be a chance.
Hoping for a Eastwood Vs University Final

Reactions: DPK

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Ok, I'll bite. What would he have added that McCabe didnt?

Great question..........maybe the answer is he could've added a complete inability to get the ball to his outside support..............thus creating an easy to read attack...oops, think I just replied on behalf of all Waratahs supporters!!!

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Well there goes that investment!

yep, you're not wrong there. And while Norths could've knocked off Randwick, the Rats totally PUMPED Wests. Harris at 12 shored up there midfield and they were never headed. Feltscheer in particular benefited from harris' appearance. But surprisingly for me, the Rats dominated up front. They certainly are a different team at home under lights.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Sydney Uni 52 Southern Districts 20

It was just 19-10 at oranges, and 12-10 just before that, but Uni put the hammer down in the 2nd half and scored 8 tries to 2 in all.

Uni

- When they scored their 4th try just after oranges I realised 3 of them were from mauls - and well executed too. I thought here we go again - and the band plays on - and it literally was. They had the Police Band there and once a maul rumbled over the goal line to the sound of music - well, the Star Wars theme actually. It was surreal.

I thought I was in for an exciting game - not - but Uni scored some lovely tries after that using the ball to beat the man.

- 15. Barnes had a terrific match. Some of his wide passing from his right hand was right on the money and caused several breaches in the SD line. His tactical kicking was superb also. He missed a couple of his conversions but even those were well struck and the ones I had a view of were as straight as an arrow over the black dot.

- 10. B. Foley mixed his game up well and showed me he has more to it than just running and passing, by kicking well for space. The Tahs could have a keeper.

- 6. Dennis had a stormer and was hard to stop every time he had the pill. Reserve 7. Dyer had a top game too when he replaced Hickey and scored a couple of well-taken tries

Southern Districts

- SD didn't have the kicking, chasing game of Uni and didn't run onto the ball as well as Uni did either in close or out wide.

- 8. Vaea played well and got Souths over the gain line a few times but not many of his mates did. L.Timani didn't play because he got a head knock training with the Tahs - though what training they are doing at the minute escapes me.

- 13. Horne played OK. They kept using him as a decoy a lot at first but he made his mark on defence coming out of the line and knocking folks over. It was interesting to watch him work off the ball; not a lot came his way but it wasn't because a lack of diligence.

He had a few runs and the impressive part was that he he didn't die with the ball which sounds routine but isn't.

It looked OK for his 2nd game out but I noticed when Uni scored their last try he had trouble running the try scorer down. Watch this space.

I was looking forward to watching scrummies Schwager, Phipps (Uni) and Hart (SD) play, but none of them were much to write home about on the day.

The kicking game quote of SD is interesting. Volavola was named at 10, he has a huge boot and is a player of the future, did he actually play?

K

Keithy

Both Waugh and Carter were in Queenstown doing a charity gig. And if ever the Wallabies could have benefitted from Carter in midfield it was last night.

I thought you would have offered Barnes up as a solution. Carter hasn't played for weeks and is behind Barnes and Horne in the pecking order.

K

Keithy

Interesting to see TG Milner is the venue for the SS Semi finals both saturday and Sunday. Eastwood will be getting a home ground semi no matter which day they play. Wonder if the other clubs will complain like last year.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting to see TG Milner is the venue for the SS Semi finals both saturday and Sunday. Eastwood will be getting a home ground semi no matter which day they play. Wonder if the other clubs will complain like last year.

I don't think anyone will complain about that but there might be some noise if Randwick finish 5th or 6th and get to host in week 1.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Some would say it is better to get a golden duck and leave a mystery than score a scratchy 15 and show the world you are terrible and not up to this level.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Gordon were absolutely pathetic against the Mighty Woods. In the lead-up to the first grade game, there was an under-sevens match. The commentator made the point that Gordon's catchment has 30% of all the junior players in the state. Why, oh, why, can't they put four quality grade teams out every Saturday? Gordon colts had a win, which I suppose is a good sign.

As an old Eastwood type I remember the wonderful derbies against the Highlanders - in fact in the very early days when I was just a nipper Gordon used to beat us regularly.

The Woods forward pack was very good, and the backs were crisp and quick. Nic White was outstanding, as were Hola and pretty much the whole backline.

I am overseas this season but I remember last season Eastwood's 3rd and 4th grade were barely competitive. It happens in cycles Gordon decided to restructure and not hand out significant payments this season and try and focus on bringing those Juniors through. The task now is to retain them as it is something they haven't been great at in the last 10 seasons and the Colts this season have been fairly poor which is surprising as the last 4 or 5 seasons even if 1st colts weren't top of the ladder all Colts sides usually made semis.

B

Bradley

I am overseas this season but I remember last season Eastwood's 3rd and 4th grade were barely competitive. It happens in cycles Gordon decided to restructure and not hand out significant payments this season and try and focus on bringing those Juniors through. The task now is to retain them as it is something they haven't been great at in the last 10 seasons and the Colts this season have been fairly poor which is surprising as the last 4 or 5 seasons even if 1st colts weren't top of the ladder all Colts sides usually made semis.

AD - I love your passion for the Highlanders but the fine-spun language that eminates from loyal supporters from time to time has to be challenged. Gordon got into strife recently because they couldn't pay their players what they agreed to pay them. See http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/news/story/players-coach-owed-100-000/

So the focus on bringing those Juniors through was for a reason wasn't it?

And aren't the same people responsible for this fiasco still in office?

And if a corporation can't pay their bills when they are due and payable; are they not deemed "insolvent" under the Corporations Act?

I saw an exodus of players from the Highlanders this season to other clubs. It is high-time supporters like you started asking some hard questions of the board on where this club is going. Being in a state of denial doesn't help the current situation.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Interested to read articles about Matt Giteau's appearance for Randwick this weekend after playing the previous weekend in the Brisbane comp for University and other forum comments regarding Beau Robinson's appearance for Warringah after playing for Souths in the same comp. Are there any rules governing the registration of players for the Shute Shield competition or is it open slather. I felt for Norths this weekend having Giteau suddenly appear in their opposition and apparently having a significant influence on the result.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
wasn't THAT significant. I dont understand this forum's hatred of Git's. I went to the Samoa game and have watched him play for years. The astute one's agree that he is a 12 not a 10. Secondly, why was he blamed for the Samoa loss? Half the forward pack is still playing yet he got punted.

W

waves

It seems to me that the reserves/squad members left out of the touring Australian Bledisloe Squad playing in the Shute Shield are the ones most likely to fill the very few vacant World Cup spots left. Could it be the ARU have told the likes of Giteau and Robinson to test themselves out against the others in the running for a RWC spot ?

24/25 Man Touring Squad;

Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Rocky Elsom (capt), Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, James O'Connor, David Pocock, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman, Nathan Sharpe.

Shute Shield:
Matt Giteau (Randwick)
Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
Mark Gerrard (Warringah)
Beau Robinson (Warringah)

QRU:
Ben Daley (Gold Coast Breakers)
Rod Davies (University)
James Hanson (University)
Luke Morahan (University)
Radike Samo (GPS)

Injured:
Drew Mitchell (Randwick) - Returning within a couple of weeks
Salesi Ma'afu (Eastern Suburbs)
Wycliff Palu (Manly)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
James Slipper (Gold Coast Breakers)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
AD - I love your passion for the Highlanders but the fine-spun language that eminates from loyal supporters from time to time has to be challenged. Gordon got into strife recently because they couldn't pay their players what they agreed to pay them. See http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/news/story/players-coach-owed-100-000/

So the focus on bringing those Juniors through was for a reason wasn't it?

And aren't the same people responsible for this fiasco still in office?

And if a corporation can't pay their bills when they are due and payable; are they not deemed "insolvent" under the Corporations Act?

I saw an exodus of players from the Highlanders this season to other clubs. It is high-time supporters like you started asking some hard questions of the board on where this club is going. Being in a state of denial doesn't help the current situation.

Bradley I agree totally. The club was forced to focus on it's juniors due to it's financial mess that has left it a fair way behind the eight ball. If Gordon retained it's Colts which it usually puts out 3 very competitive teams they would have some very competitive grade sides this unfortunetly does not happen.

Since Fear moved on Recruitment has been a poor area and is a very weak point. Stop bringing in players from overseas is a start unless they are willing to play for match payments. Support our Juniors and offer country players employment and help in finding accommodation(originally) will help provide the club with a stable playing base. Another thing is too offer opportunity(Greenway).

From the position the club is taking now I can't see Gordon being a power in the next few seasons.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would say Giteau's appearance wasn't exactly significant - he didn't play that well and lost/turned the ball over a lot.

He threw an absolutely beautiful flick pass under pressure, and passed long well once he got into the swing of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.