• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the case of Dean Mumm I think it was more than one rib, Qwerty, but he may be back next week. Phil Waugh is away doing a charity appearance, EandE.

Z

Zeno

Can anyone tell me if the shield playoffs are on sept 16/17/18? I will only be in town for a few days but was really hoping to make it to a club match before I head over to NZ for theRWC. I just hope the competition hasnt been ended early this year like the ITM cup because of the RWC.

Thanks for any and all help.

That will be the second week of the playoffs... the actual semi-finals.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Bruce,
I am impressed with the play of Michael Hodge. Any insights to his background? And will T. Carter be back for the finals? Cheers.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Torn, Michael has been playing some very good rugby this season and looks particularly effective at 12. He is a product of Marist, Canberra, and played ACT Schools in 2006 and 2007. Last year he was heavily involved in the IRB Sevens circuit but my understanding is that he is now likely to focus on real rugby. He weighs only about 87kg so his focus will probably be on adding quite a few kilos during the Club's off season EDS program. If he does that he should be even more effective and, given that he is only 22, could eventually play at a higher level than club rugby.

Both Tom Carter and Daniel Halangahu are likely to resume playing in a couple of weeks although it is not certain they will immediately start in First Grade. This season Todd Louden has already shown he is not fazed by reputations when selecting his team.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks Bruce.

On the topic of selections, I must say that I am surprised at the many changes that Todd and Jack make throughout the grades. It sort of goes against the convention of a settled team, but I guess it is smart in terms of giving players experience in the top grades.

U

Upright

Thanks Bruce.

On the topic of selections, I must say that I am surprised at the many changes that Todd and Jack make throughout the grades. It sort of goes against the convention of a settled team, but I guess it is smart in terms of giving players experience in the top grades.
Or is there an element of meeting points restrictions? I notice Phipps is on the bench this week, by any stretch he is a better player than Schwager - play Phipps and put Schwager in 2nd grade - that was how it always used to be. But the world has changed and when you have so many pro's among your ranks you do need to manage it accordingly which I guess is what SU do

H

Hubstable

Much appreciated. Do you know what grounds they have chosen to host the matches by chance?

I have an American friend coming with me and I have been talking up the accessibility of club rugby for years to him so I hope the games will be played at places reachable by public transport. Lord knows I had a hard enough time getting a bus to Easts last year.

That will be the second week of the playoffs... the actual semi-finals.

W

waves

Or is there an element of meeting points restrictions? I notice Phipps is on the bench this week, by any stretch he is a better player than Schwager - play Phipps and put Schwager in 2nd grade - that was how it always used to be. But the world has changed and when you have so many pro's among your ranks you do need to manage it accordingly which I guess is what SU do

I wouldn't imagine its due to points, Nick Phipps played as a colt at Sydney University so his points would be close to 0.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I wouldn't imagine its due to points, Nick Phipps played as a colt at Sydney University so his points would be close to 0.

Also Phipps was not a Test or Super rugby player as at Jan 1 this year which is when the points are decided. He hasn't played much first grade either, so he would definitely be a 0 point player. Also, fresh reserves who get on the field are also counted in the points tally, so that doesn't help with points management. Uni don't tend to have as many points issues as some other teams as the loyalty rewards kick in.

Z

Zeno

Much appreciated. Do you know what grounds they have chosen to host the matches by chance?

I have an American friend coming with me and I have been talking up the accessibility of club rugby for years to him so I hope the games will be played at places reachable by public transport. Lord knows I had a hard enough time getting a bus to Easts last year.

Not sure but I expect the semis are at the home grounds of the teams that finish 1st and 2nd, so TG Millner and the University are probable, and Manly and Woollahra are possible.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Finals schedules
2011 SHUTE SHIELD FINALS SERIES (including 2nd, 3rd and 4th Grades)
Elimination Semi-Finals - Coogee Oval
Saturday 10 September - 3rd v 6th
Sunday 11 September - 4th v 5th
Preliminary Finals - TG Millner Field
Saturday 17 September - 1st v lowest-ranked Elimination Semi-Final winner
Sunday 18 September - 2nd v highest-ranked Elimination Semi-Final winner
Grand Final - Concord Oval
Saturday 24 September
2011 SYDNEY PREMIER RUGBY COLTS FINALS SERIES (Colts I, II and II)
Elimination Semi-Finals - Forshaw Rugby Park
Saturday 10 September - 3rd v 6th
Sunday 11 September - 4th v 5th
Preliminary Finals - Forshaw Rugby Park
Saturday 17 September - 1st v lowest-ranked Elimination Semi-Final winner
Sunday 18 September - 2nd v highest-ranked Elimination Semi-Final winner
Grand Final - Forshaw Rugby Park
Sunday 25 September

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. Nick Seymour, 3. Aaron Tawera; 4. Andrew Rossiter, 5. Rome Nifo; 6. Lopeti Timani, 7. Sean Doyle, 8. Ita Vaea; 9. Grayson Hart, 10. Ben Volavola; 11. Nicky Price, 12. Apo Latunipulu, 13. Rob Horne, 14. Brackin Karauria-Henry; 15. Graydon Staniforth.

Apo and Volavola up against that Uni team is a huge ask. That backline is sizzling with talent though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wheres Nick Cummins this week?

Probably back with the Force for their games coming up. Likewise with Vuna with the Rebels.

I don't suppose Souths were too happy when they heard the Rebels and Force were having tours after Super rugby.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Probably back with the Force for their games coming up. Likewise with Vuna with the Rebels.

I don't suppose Souths were too happy when they heard the Rebels and Force were having tours after Super rugby.

yeah must have been really disapointing that the ridiculous amount of money that they are paying these players was to no purpose.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
qwerty51

Thanks for posting the SD team. I think I might head over to Broadway tomorrow.

It will be good to see Rob Horne play. It will also be interesting to see Lopeti Timani on the park again as he was promising for the Junior Tahs earlier in the year. He is usually an 8 but is playing 6 because Ita Vaea, who he resembles as a player, has dibs on the 8 jersey.

That is a very good backrow: 6. L.Sitaleki, 7. Doyle and 8. Vaea. It is not known as well as 6. Dennis, 7. Hickey and 8. McCutcheon but they will give a good account of themselves. It is interesting that Hickey has precedence over J.Jenkins at Uni; he is a hard bastard though.

I haven't heard of any Super interest in 9. Grayson Hart of SD yet he has started in S14 games for the Blues. I'll have a look at him.

Cyril Towers (30)
qwerty51

Thanks for posting the SD team. I think I might head over to Broadway tomorrow.

It will be good to see Rob Horne play. It will also be interesting to see Lopeti Timani on the park again as he was promising for the Junior Tahs earlier in the year. He is usually an 8 but is playing 6 because Ita Vaea, who he resembles as a player, has dibs on the 8 jersey.

That is a very good backrow: 6. L.Sitaleki, 7. Doyle and 8. Vaea. It is not known as well as 6. Dennis, 7. Hickey and 8. McCutcheon but they will give a good account of themselves. It is interesting that Hickey has precedence over J.Jenkins at Uni; he is a hard bastard though.

I haven't heard of any Super interest in 9. Grayson Hart of SD yet he has started in S14 games for the Blues. I'll have a look at him.

See you there, Lee. I think this will be a cracker. A bit disappointed that Palmer and Ulugia aren't playing though. When Uni play SD, the real game is in the front row.

Status
Not open for further replies.