• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stickybeak

How is it better from an Australian perspective for the talent to be spread?

It evens out the teams which means that each game is played against a competitive opponent. This in turn means that more things have to be done under pressure. The players get more used to doing things under pressure on a weekly basis - their skills and execution are honed. They come out the other end better equipped to play in pressure situations. In my opinion.

K

Keithy

i don't think Dean Mumm would play for Warringah. His junior club was Beecroft so I think he would play for Eastwood. Would this mean Burgess and Phipps, who both started in Colts 3 and were developed by Uni have to leave Uni?

S

Stickybeak

i don't think Dean Mumm would play for Warringah. His junior club was Beecroft so I think he would play for Eastwood. Would this mean Burgess and Phipps, who both started in Colts 3 and were developed by Uni have to leave Uni?

I was only using that as an example.

Yep - if they came in at that level it would be OK. You would need to watch warehousing of australian schoolboys in colts (this doesnt apply to Burgess but I dont know what Phipps background is).

Their Tahs contract should contain a power in the Tahs to direct players to play for particular clubs.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Believe Burgess played with Easts when he came back from Brumbies where he spent a number of years in their Runners program. I would think that his development may have been more relative to that then Uni colts 3. If my memory serves me it was the ARC which gave him a kick along.

S

Stickybeak

Believe Burgess played with Easts when he came back from Brumbies where he spent a number of years in their Runners program. I would think that his development may have been more relative to that then Uni colts 3. If my memory serves me it was the ARC which gave him a kick along.

i think he was wallowing in 2nd Grade at Uni while in the Runners and then Easts got him to come over the season before he moved the tahs

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Has Bernard Foley been contracted to a Super Club yet? Being a Wicks man I don't want to push a Uni player but he really should get picked and developed. He has the basics to become a very good 10.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
agree gnostic, i was at the norths/uni game today and foley was great. ran the game very well. i believe he is on a tahs contract, dont know what contract that is though.

did anyone watch southern play, is there a report on how horne went?

K

Keithy

Foley will be with the tahs for the next 2 seasons. He had a solid game today. It was helped by having Phipps at halfback.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How is it better from an Australian perspective for the talent to be spread?

Depends how broad your vision is. We have thousands and thousands of potential rugby players in the west of Sydney, for example, the sons of Islander and Maori immigrants. How many of them see themselves with a future in our game? How many would really chose playing rugby for Penrith or Parramatta at the moment, rather than playing league - if Penrith and Parramatta had a sprinkling of Wallabies it could make a huge difference in attracting these young men into the rugby stream, IMHO. How many of them can identify with the effete self-centred ex-GPS snobs at Sydney University? How many are attracted to play Shute Shield, when the odds are heavily stacked against all but a handful of clubs?

With all due respects to those doing a great job with very limited resources in the west of Sydney, wouldn't it be a lot easier if a few more of the leading players of our game followed TPNs lead and actually did something for the health of the game outside their comfort zone?

If we could encourage even a handful of good young players to choose rugby, rather than league, from Sydney's west it could be very beneficial for the future of Australian rugby. There is an old saying, a hungry fighter is a good fighter, and I reckon that this is one reason that New Zealand has it over us, they have a fair share of hungry fighters in the ranks of their up-and-coming players - while many of our up-and-comers are cossotted and molly-coddled, busily sucking on the taxpayers teat in Camperdown. We need to do a lot more to get some tough, hungry kids into our game.

S

Stickybeak

Depends how broad your vision is. We have thousands and thousands of potential rugby players in the west of Sydney, for example, the sons of Islander and Maori immigrants. How many of them see themselves with a future in our game? How many would really chose playing rugby for Penrith or Parramatta at the moment, rather than playing league - if Penrith and Parramatta had a sprinkling of Wallabies it could make a huge difference in attracting these young men into the rugby stream, IMHO. How many of them can identify with the effete self-centred ex-GPS snobs at Sydney University? How many are attracted to play Shute Shield, when the odds are heavily stacked against all but a handful of clubs?

With all due respects to those doing a great job with very limited resources in the west of Sydney, wouldn't it be a lot easier if a few more of the leading players of our game followed TPNs lead and actually did something for the health of the game outside their comfort zone?

If we could encourage even a handful of good young players to choose rugby, rather than league, from Sydney's west it could be very beneficial for the future of Australian rugby. There is an old saying, a hungry fighter is a good fighter, and I reckon that this is one reason that New Zealand has it over us, they have a fair share of hungry fighters in the ranks of their up-and-coming players - while many of our up-and-comers are cossotted and molly-coddled, busily sucking on the taxpayers teat in Camperdown. We need to do a lot more to get some tough, hungry kids into our game.

Well said - except they're not only on the taxpayers teat - Buildcorp too: and now theyre all going to bleat "you dont understand the tradition". If they keep it up they'll be the first rugby club in Australia and the last in Sydney

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So back to the rugby. I'm watching the norths v uni game and AJ Gilbert is having a decent game. Worth another look for a super rugby team?

He could be the flyhalf the waratahs have been looking for.....

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
So back to the rugby. I'm watching the norths v uni game and AJ Gilbert is having a decent game. Worth another look for a super rugby team?

He could be the flyhalf the waratahs have been looking for.....

I agree Aj has been having a good season, how about Ben Coridas at eastwood will be playing most games in 2nd grade and played for the Reds this year

M

mackaboi

yeh considering eastwood have got a number of class forwards this year ben coridas will be playing 2nd grade and benching for 1sts rest of this year. He's a good player but unfortunately wont be playing 1sts unless theres injuries

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's nice to talk about spreading the rugby talent, and God knows, I would like some of those Uni players at the Rats, but in the real world it isn't going to happen. You can't legislate to force players to play at clubs other than the one they want to play for.

Because they want to stay at Uni they get discounts on "points" for longevity at the club starting with Colts. Many of their Colts are happy to stay at the club rather than play Grade, maybe even 1st Grade, in other clubs.

There are many reasons why players stay there and everybody mentions a few of them, but they also include wanting to stay at a club where they know that their potential will be realised, playing at a club with a winning culture and playing with ones mates.

But we talk about these Uni things every year.

Yeah the two starting flyhalves in the Norths v Uni match had pretty good games didn't they? It's the first time I've seen Zack Holmes playing flyhalf since he was at school - or that I can remember. B. Foley looked very handy too though he will learn to use his runners more before the season is over.

Both have a testing running game that will keep defences from drifting. I'll be looking forward to seeing them play Super Rugby when they get on the park.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting to see people complaining about Sydney Uni "warehousing talent".

First: mostly, they don't "warehouse" talent, they develop it. Most of their Super Rugby players came through the ranks at Uni (Berrick Barnes being a notable exception).

Secondly, I don't remember complaints of this kind in the 1980s when just about every decent player in Sydney played for Randwick. People went to play there for very good reasons: they had a great set-up, it was fun to play with good players and win competitions, and you had a good chance of being seen by selectors, back when that mattered. And the rest of us running around, at clubs like Sydney uni (where we struggled, badly, at times) thought, wouldn't it be great to be like Randwick.

So why penalise success? Shouldn't the goal be for other clubs in Sydney to lift their game to meet the standard set by Sydney Uni, just as other clubs had to lift to the standard set by Randwick back in the day?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
A lot of players missing from Shute Shield teams in the coming weeks , due to the Super 15 teams touring o'seas.
This includes players not previously in Super 15 teams , trying out for a contract for 2012 .

Status
Not open for further replies.