• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Penrith have improved a million percent in the last couple of years.
They almost got up in 2nds too, going down 17-20. They also had 13 men for the last 8 minutes in 1's and still got up.
Randwick 3's are 6 from 6 with a 77-10 drubbing of the Emu's and Wicks 4s also won by a healthy margin.
I imagine there would have been some celebrating late into the night out in Emu territory...
BSIDE

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I just watched Claremont versus Gordon, pretty good intense game of Rugby. I personally think Nathan Pearce's refereeing really needs to be addressed.

Didnt see the match.......can you elaborate. I thought Pearce was one of the better ones!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Terrific game on the telly this weekend, I really enjoyed that. I reckon Gordon will be the more disappointed of the two teams, after spending long periods of the game in front. Berryman from Gordon looks a real talent and so does that young 5/8 for Souths.

I was shocked to read that Penrith beat Randwick. When did that last happen?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Last year Penrith beat Norths, Souths, Wests and Warringah from memory. I know they have beaten Manly in the past. And now Randwick. Does anyone know who else they have beaten?

B

Bradley

How many half backs does Southern Districts want? They already have Grayson Hart and imo the best young half in the comp Dewet Roos.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I found that odd. Already got two solid halfbacks. They should be buying 10s and 12s. They're going to lose Volavola, Apo and Saifoloi to the u20s

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Drought breaks for Penrith Emus

General

10 May 11 @ 02:30pm by CHRIS GEORGAKOPOULOS
Richard Aho. Picture: seiserphotography.com

Richard Aho. Picture: seiserphotography.com

PENRITH Emus have finally broken their 2011 duck, beating Randwick 28-27 at Coogee Oval on Saturday.

The win is the first time Penrith have defeated Randwick away in their history and has lifted them off the bottom of the Shute Shield ladder.

Emus president Jim Hook was glad the team got off the mark after predicting a win was around the corner in Friday’s Press.

“It was a tightly contested game but it was our strong defence which won us the game,” Hook said.

“It was a very strong performance by our team, with our forwards dominating the middle of the park, allowing the backs to cross over the line. Our captain Pete Niumata scored two tries and Sikuti Vunipola and Atelea Okati also crossed the line to earn us a bonus point.”

Penrith host Manly at Nepean Rugby Park this Saturday.

“We always play well against Manly, so hopefully we can keep things up,” Hook said.

Can you help our new players?

PENRITH Emus rugby officials are asking for community help to find housing, jobs and furniture for five overseas players.

The Emus recruited Solomona Silipa, Thomas Timani, Richard Aho, Meilani Tiatia and Aaron Wendt from New Zealand for this year’s Shute Shield competition.

“It’s our job to help get stability for the boys and for them to settle in as soon as possible,” Emus director Jeff Fox said.

“At the moment we virtually have friends and supporters of the club facilitating the boys. I even have two boys at my house.”

The players have skills ranging from tertiary to labouring.

“The boys are all in their early 20s but are at different stages in their lives, with some with partners and some single,” Fox said.

“Our challenge is to find these boys some employment as I believe they are aiming to call Australia home. So we are asking for anyone who has spare furniture or who can give them a job.

“I have been told one of them was a roof tiler and another was working in the equivalent to Integral Energy in New Zealand.”

Fox said the club looked at this option for various reasons.

“Bringing players from overseas is good because they are of a good standard,” he said.

“The other reason is that most of the players in our area play league instead of union, so we have no choice but to look elsewhere.”

To help, call Jeff Fox on 0417 675 802.

* RICHARD AHO: Bachelor of Marketing from Aukland University
* SOLOMONA SILIPA: Experience and TAFE qualifications in clothes industry and would love to get into retail clothing sales
* THOMAS TIMANI: Warehousing experience
* MEILANI TIATIA: Labouring
* AARON WENDT: Labouring, personal trainer

I read this article in the Penrith Press. Maybe some one out there might be able to help.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last year Penrith beat Norths, Souths, Wests and Warringah from memory. I know they have beaten Manly in the past. And now Randwick. Does anyone know who else they have beaten?

Pretty sure this is the second time the Emus have beaten Randwick as I recall about 10 or so years ago they beat them in a night game out there at Nepean Rugby Park. I think it was when Scott Johnson was coaching them.

Their current coach Matt Briggs has done a good job up there on what I hear is a very limited budget. He's no doubt got a big future in the coaching game.

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
Pretty sure this is the second time the Emus have beaten Randwick as I recall about 10 or so years ago they beat them in a night game out there at Nepean Rugby Park. I think it was when Scott Johnson was coaching them.

Their current coach Matt Briggs has done a good job up there on what I hear is a very limited budget. He's no doubt got a big future in the coaching game.

Agree, Matt has done a great job as has his brother John at gordon, who were tipped to be coming last, both are very good coaches.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Spencer, Noriega, Ayoub & Bartlett dropped from Randwick 1's after the loss (and huge spray in the dressing room) to Penrith.

Halangahu now captain instead of Tim Wright (reason given was they want a captain closer to the action).

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I notice that they have dropped 2 front rowers. Penrith have one of the best front rows in the competition with 2 of them having Super rugby experience and the 3rd an import so one who can obviously play. This I guess is not surprising.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
... and the Two Blues taking it to the number one Eastwood team, hopefully shows the competition may be evening out alittle. As a Eastwood fan i wouldn't mind alittle report on the game if any Parra or Woods fans were out there?

Match report on the Parra website - gotta love Thommo's match reports :)

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Went to TG Milner today to watch Eastwood v Gordon. I must say TG Milner is an outstanding place to watch rugby, close to the action and big crowds, although it looks far to easy for somebody to get in for free. Eastwood won by 5.. 27-22. It wasn't a win for Gordon but this close result along with that draw last week against Southern should help solidify them as one of the top sides, I know they have had it quite easy in the preceding weeks.

Edit: I am saying 27-22 but the rugbynews website is saying 27-24. I might be wrong, I had to squint my eyes at the end to see the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.